Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microns rise while pump is on?

Post Likes
    Thread has drifted from original question, so will add a coupleof tidbits.

In own efforts, never worry about trying to pull an HVAC vacuum below 2000 microns. I don't think I've ever charged a system with temps below freezing in PNW. At 32F, it only takes about 4500 microns to boil water which is main reason for pulling vacuum to get all moisture out of system. Even if 4500 micron air or dry nitrogen pressure left in the lines one only sees a 0.5% reduction in effective compressor displacement.

Have done some space related work, pulling a 10e-9 vacuum requires 2" dia 'hoses' (actually stainless pipes) as there is NO flow, the atoms have to bounce around to exit in approx. a straight line. At this type vacuum level a rule of thumb is 2 WEEKS before material like HVAC hoses have outgassed enough to achieve and hold that vacuum level.

On original question, in a system with good instrumentation, never have seen the pressure DROP when pump turned OFF.
    I suspect that a very dirty pump oil could produce that effect - does your pump emit 'smoke' when you first start it? Turn off pump, cools slightly, water vapor from dirty oil condenses as pump cools and pressure drops.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by junkhound View Post
    Thread has drifted from original question, so will add a coupleof tidbits.

In own efforts, never worry about trying to pull an HVAC vacuum below 2000 microns. I don't think I've ever charged a system with temps below freezing in PNW. At 32F, it only takes about 4500 microns to boil water which is main reason for pulling vacuum to get all moisture out of system. Even if 4500 micron air or dry nitrogen pressure left in the lines one only sees a 0.5% reduction in effective compressor displacement.

Have done some space related work, pulling a 10e-9 vacuum requires 2" dia 'hoses' (actually stainless pipes) as there is NO flow, the atoms have to bounce around to exit in approx. a straight line. At this type vacuum level a rule of thumb is 2 WEEKS before material like HVAC hoses have outgassed enough to achieve and hold that vacuum level.

On original question, in a system with good instrumentation, never have seen the pressure DROP when pump turned OFF.
    I suspect that a very dirty pump oil could produce that effect - does your pump emit 'smoke' when you first start it? Turn off pump, cools slightly, water vapor from dirty oil condenses as pump cools and pressure drops.
    Well see, its a new pump too . I just put fresh oil in it. And when you say smoke, youre not referring to the exhaust port, right? Because I thought that was normal for some vapor to come out of there.

3. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by viceman View Post
    When you say "pulling a vacuum on your gauges" , do you mean not connected to a system ?

if so try it on a recovery tank or something with volume.
    Yes, Im not connected to a system. I just have the pump connected to my manifold and hoses.
    But I did end up trying it on a system and it still does that same thing. I close the vacuum port, boom. Microns drop. I have no clue why its showing higher when the pump is running.

Post Likes
    is it possible the built in micron gauge is connected to the pump side of the vacuum port valve?

6. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Stop pulling through a manifold and use vacuum rated core removers and vacuum rated hoses.

8. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdunn View Post
    is it possible the built in micron gauge is connected to the pump side of the vacuum port valve?
    It is on the Fieldpiece manifolds.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.

Post Likes
    See what happens if you connect the pump to one port, and micron to the the opposite side of system or a tank on the other port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    something may contract & expand from atmospheric pressure when you shut the pump down... just a thought

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12