Thread: Cannot identify York HVAC unit to get parts

Post Likes

Confused Cannot identify York HVAC unit to get parts

Hi all,

I hope you can help me with an issue regarding my HVAC. I have a condensation dripping problem (pan is rusted to pieces), which would require to purchase a new drain pan. My problem is, I cannot find the proper model, or rather, it seems the model number I've got written on the unit was the only one made by York at this point (google returns only one hit from repair clinic with no pics/parts/manual/option).

The type of pan that is used is unique and I have surfed on google for hours trying to find anything similar, to no avail. The coil is laid horizontally, and the pan is composed of three parts; a back "guard", metal rods that line under the coil, and a single pan on the opposite side that catch condensation dripping from the metal rods. These "rods" are destroyed by the rust for the most part, which seems to prevent water from flowing properly. Actually, water drips out of it somehow (never seen so much condensation coming from a coil).

Could you please help me identify the correct model, so I can attempt to find parts to fix it?

Here are some pictures:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  181.7 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  168.0 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  3.27 MBName:  4.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  237.0 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  193.6 KBName:  6.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  220.0 KB
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Good luck. If you do find the pan for that thing, it will likely cost more than a whole new air handler. Just save yourself the headache and replace the air handler. You don’t have to replace the outside unit necessarily.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

3. Likes Dahita, R600a, CHAINIK liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Your air handler and coil are nearly 30 years old, manufactured in 1991. Drain trough shows as no longer available: https://www.repairclinic.com/ProductDetail/1397702

5. Likes Dahita liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thank you both, at least I'm not crazy. The sad thing is, for a few metal parts, I would have to trash a perfectly good air unit. I might actually work on replacing them with half cut PVC tubes.

I will nonetheless look at replacing the air unit. My issue is that I was told it is using R22, which is no longer favored, and thus I'd have to pay about $5000 to replace everything. Does that make sense?

Post Likes
    Just be warned, disassembling the coil to try to mess with the pan carries the risk of causing refrigerant leaks, even if you were using the OEM part. For this reason I'm not a fan of replacing pans on old coils.

Maybe a replacement coil could be installed that would fit and work with your existing R22 system, but how much are you really willing to put into a 30 year old system? What if your compressor takes a dump next year and you end up replacing the whole system anyway? That patchwork repair for "just this small problem" would just be money down the drain. Trust me, I (and I think this applies to most other guys on this website) absolutely hate when pushy salesmen rip out and replace perfectly good equipment for no reason. I like to keep old units running as long as is reasonably possible, and would never suggest an entire system replacement if I didn't truly believe it would be the most economical option for the customer in the long run. It's not something I do lightly, but that day does eventually come around.

As for full system replacement cost, we're not allowed to talk prices here. The cost will vary widely depending on your area, the specific contractor you hire, the grade of equipment you put in, oddities to the installation in your particular house, etc.

8. Likes Dahita liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahita View Post
    Thank you both, at least I'm not crazy. The sad thing is, for a few metal parts, I would have to trash a perfectly good air unit. I might actually work on replacing them with half cut PVC tubes.

I will nonetheless look at replacing the air unit. My issue is that I was told it is using R22, which is no longer favored, and thus I'd have to pay about $5000 to replace everything. Does that make sense?
    Almost any air handler that is compatible with 410a is compatible with your existing R22, it just requires proper set up by the installation contractor. You could then have the outside unit replaced if it goes in the future. AHRI shmayHRI, SEER ratings are all a bunch of sales bs for the most part. Just realize it is part of the code, should you replace the condenser in the future it should technically be a matched unit to the indoor. There is the possibility there may be no match for it. However, it’s your property you can do what you want. Only issue is a home inspection may flag the system if you should sell the home in the future. Doesn’t matter if the system functions perfectly.

Obviously, the best solution is to replace both units.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

10. Likes Dahita liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Never seen a York with that style of coil. Interesting...

Guess they did away with that style because it lasts 30 years. Can't have that now, can we.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

12. Likes Dahita, BBeerme liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thank you for your help. Well, sure enough, I'm looking into this precisely because we're selling an apartment.

I ended up creating drain troughs with PVC drain tubes cut in half. Will test tonight. If it works, I'll wait for the inspection results. If it doesn't, or if the inspection fails, I get we'll have to sell pizzas on the week-ends to come up with the money for a new system...

Post Likes
    Looks like you could have a local tinner bend up some replacements
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

15. Likes R600a, Dahita liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahita View Post
    Thank you for your help. Well, sure enough, I'm looking into this precisely because we're selling an apartment.

I ended up creating drain troughs with PVC drain tubes cut in half. Will test tonight. If it works, I'll wait for the inspection results. If it doesn't, or if the inspection fails, I get we'll have to sell pizzas on the week-ends to come up with the money for a new system...
    At 20 years of age you owe them NOTHING!

17. Likes Dahita liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Rent a small brake and get a small sheet of galvanized metal and buy some cheap tin snips at those big box stores and have at it,…wash coil thoroughly.

You sound like you really want to save it, who knows,.. as thick as those copper indoor and outdoor coil, and the lower refrigerant pressures compared to the newer refrigerant and paper thin copper tubing and how they made stuff back then, motors, capacitor, etc. you may get another 30 years out of it…

19. Likes Dahita liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Sorry, as the rules state, we are not a DIY site.

I doubt you'll find a replacement pan, please call a licensed contractor to replace the coil.

Thread closed

21. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Dislikes Dahita disliked this post.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in