+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Outdoor air quality?

Post Likes

Outdoor air quality?

Hello! I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this question, but I have an outdoor air quality issue I'd like help solving. Please let me know if this is the wrong forum, I didn't seen one for outdoor air issues though.

We recently purchased a property which is down wind of a large commercial chicken operation and when the air is still, such as in the early morning and evening, it really smells. During the day, if there's any breeze at all, and most other times it's not noticeable but when the air is still it's a problem. It also seems to coincide with when their exhaust fans first start as the sun comes up we (logically) get a pretty good blast of fowl (pun intended!) air.

So how can we mitigate this? We're already planning on planting more trees at the end of the driveway to block the air flow from the building, but what about creating air flow when the natural breeze dies off? Does anyone have experience with this? Would a giant fan set 50 or 100 feet back from the house pointing perpendicular to the air flow from the chicken barns that only runs when the natural air flow stops solve it?

I am a fairly prolific tinkerer, fabricator, and part time farmer so I have the tools and equipment to implement the giant outdoor fan idea. But would it work?

Post Likes
    You may try large amounts of activated charcoal commonly used in green houses. Amazon has kits with 5 gal pails of charcoal and 6" duct fans. I have never tried this myself.

Keep us posted.

Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Here is an idea.

https://www.chemcentral.com/sodium-b...SABEgJXyvD_BwE

They make big claims.

It could be part of the charcoal filtering package.

I have great confidence in farmer trained logic.

Keep us posted.

Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Thanks! I think this issue is similar to trying to get smoke to dissipate when you have an atmospheric inversion and wood stove smoke pools around the house or in the low area of a pasture, etc.

Maybe I'll borrow a tractor driven grain dryer or similar to test the "giant fan" theory before committing to getting a phase converter and cutting up an old cooling tower or something to build a permanent setup.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in