+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is 2021. the good all boy way is done. It’s time to educate your self in order to sur

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ehsx View Post
    Tough crowd.
    Engineers need to get done with school then spend a minimum of 10 years in the field!

2. Likes R600a, ksefan, mofotech, jbhenergy liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Tough crowd.
    X2

Although to be fair, when you post something like the OP did you’re definitely asking for trouble lol.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

4. Likes Mr Bill, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    This good old boy learned this trade when there was no internet, to where you could Google to figure out an issue on a service call. Naw, we had to use our experience, brain and common sense. Today, if you’re stumped on a call, you can just Google your way to the repair, or post a question on H-Talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

6. Likes R600a, BNME8EZ, Zamoramax, mofotech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Engineers need to get done with school then spend a minimum of 10 years in the field!
    One of my hobbies since working construction & factory service has been harassing engineers whenever appropriate. At least 2 years in the field before college would probably do as much good. Best engineer I’ve ever worked with did industrial design build, testing, startup & warranty service on his earlier job.
    Like any other job about 1 in 8 are really good and 1 in 20 are the tops.

8. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Like any other job about 1 in 8 are really good and 1 in 20 are the tops.
    That’s one of the things that really bothers me about degree based job.

For example, I’ve noticed that with hospital doctors, there is a large variation in skill even though we are forced to pay them all equally and really can’t decide who we get.

If a doctor is so lazy and sluggish that she can’t even put on a set of gloves and an apron in time to catch a baby, I think I should pay the nurse that had to do it and not the doctor.

There are quite a few situations where I felt the nurse would actually do a better job than the doctor. However, a good doctor (or any other master of a trade) is very respectable and I really appreciate the effort they put into being as good as they are.

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

10. Likes R600a, Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nwdave View Post
    To educate your self or change to a less technical industry.

The days of capacitor change techs is on the way out. New systems are complicated well designed board encapsulated relays systems. Most of today’s techs will hace a hard time troubleshooting. A tech will have to navigate code control software in order to get to the issue. Put your meter away.

Post Likes

The days of capacitor change techs is on the way out. New systems are complicated well designed board encapsulated relays systems. Most of today’s techs will hace a hard time troubleshooting. A tech will have to navigate code control software in order to get to the issue. Put your meter away.

My spell check changes words.

Post Likes

Looks like dumbing down to me. Processors do the diagnostics, techs only need passwords. Seeing more techs that don’t know basic troubleshooting.

14. Likes Nwdave, R600a, Zamoramax, Nuclrchiller liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Looks like dumbing down to me. Processors do the diagnostics, techs only need passwords. Seeing more techs that don’t know basic troubleshooting.
    I agree but I hace seen techs quit because their knowledge is limited and a reluctant attitude to learn new system. That’s my point, educate yourself in order to survive. I’m not picking on anyone, just want your professional opinion on the matter at hand.

Post Likes
    I agree but I hace seen techs quit because their knowledge is limited and a reluctant attitude to learn new system. That’s my point, educate yourself in order to survive. I’m not picking on anyone, just want your professional opinion on the matter at hand.

Been changing since I entered the field 70’s. Microprocessors & drives on chillers since ~80. Components becoming less expensive, more reliable, & more capabilities. More opportunities for specialization.

17. Likes Nwdave liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Who's the numb-nut that puts a humidifier before the supply air fan? That poor blower will rust to hell and back. I work on many MUA units (maybe a hundred or so at our facility) and never seen that, whether steam injected or evaporative pad/cell style are placed aft of the blower, just asking for trouble. If that is your design, you may want to rethink things.

19. Likes R600a, pecmsg, Mr Bill liked this post.
    Post Likes

Turn Spell Check back on, ok.
    So just how long have you been in the industry to see those "...techs quit because their knowledge is limited and a reluctant attitude to learn new system". In my experience the ones that quit for those reasons were not really "Tech's" to begin with.

I started in the Mechanical industry in 1980 as an apprentice. Every day since has been a "day for learning", both OJT and on my own time.

BTW, if you're going to try to "Pick on anyone" here you better pack a lunch and a change of underwear before hand.
    Last edited by Cagey57; 09-08-2021 at 02:43 PM. Reason: eye kint spill tue gude
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !
    You cannot protect the Stupid from themselves !
    "Experience is the ability to recognize a mistake Before you make it again!" (Stolen Quote)

21. Likes ksefan, theoldscroll liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagey57 View Post
    Turn Spell Check back on, ok.
    So just how long have you been in the industry to see those "...techs quit because their knowledge is limited and a reluctant attitude to learn new system". In my experience the ones that quit for those reasons were not really "Tech's" to begin with.

I started in the Mechanical industry in 1980 as an apprentice. Every day since has been a "day for learning", both OJT and on my own time.

BTW, if you're going to try to "Pick on anyone" here you better pack a lunch and a change of underwear before hand.
    Are you speaking for your self or you are representing the whole industry. And your point is. Encouraging techs to learn is my point, constructive comments that passes knowledge is a better conversation.

Post Likes
    Are you speaking for your self or you are representing the whole industry. And your point is. Encouraging techs to learn is my point, constructive comments that passes knowledge is a better conversation.

and I wish you would have one!

24. Likes Glennhvac, pacnw liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    This good old boy learned this trade when there was no internet, to where you could Google to figure out an issue on a service call. Naw, we had to use our experience, brain and common sense. Today, if you’re stumped on a call, you can just Google your way to the repair, or post a question on H-Talk.

Just to add to that Mr Bill, if I may.

There were no cell phones so you could just call the boss or senior tech at the drop of a hat either. Unless someone was with you, you were on your own.

26. Likes R600a, Mr Bill, Zamoramax, lions_lair liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Are you speaking for your self or you are representing the whole industry. What comment does this question apply to ? And your point is. Again, what are you asking about ? Guessing my comment regarding "every day is a learning day". Encouraging techs to learn is my point, And a good point to be made. A certain percentage of "Tech's" do not have a desire to learn more or excel in the industry. In many of those cases it is "Just a job". You can't force an individual to learn. If you know of a way to do so please share that with us. constructive comments that passes knowledge is a better conversation.

Evidently humor is lost in the written word in this context.

I admit, I forgot the question mark after my inquiry about "Just how long have you been in the industry...". Can you respond in spite of my mistake, please ?

Thanks.
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !
    You cannot protect the Stupid from themselves !
    "Experience is the ability to recognize a mistake Before you make it again!" (Stolen Quote)

Post Likes

I do hear what you are saying and I agree to a point.

But “put your meter away” isn’t true at all. Several months ago I used my graphing meter to troubleshoot and repair a circuit board on the spot. The need for a meter is increasing not decreasing.

29. Likes R600a, Mr Bill, Nwdave, Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I graduated Tech college in 78, 10 years later the "state of the art furnace" when I graduated could no longer be built. I would say that it has not slowed down since. As has been said if you understand the SoO and diagnostics you can work through most stuff.

31. Likes R600a liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    I do hear what you are saying and I agree to a point.

But “put your meter away” isn’t true at all. Several months ago I used my graphing meter to troubleshoot and repair a circuit board on the spot. The need for a meter is increasing not decreasing.
    Another example I worked on a window unit that was capable of throwing codes. So this windy and it throw a code that meant that the discharge temperature sensor was out of range so I tested it and it tested in range so I said okay and I installed a new board and temperature sensor well the code didn't change so then I started disassembling further and inspecting and it turned out that the display board was water damaged and was displaying a code that had nothing to do with what the main board was telling it. So relying on a computer to do your diagnostics can steer you wrong pretty frequently.
    I've had the same kind of thing happen on furnaces but I'm not sure I really want to talk about the 12 callbacks over a stupid circuit board on a Goodman right now.
    Anyway that was my first year on my own as a tech so I had a lot to learn.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Yep! In 2021 the good ol boy way is being taken over by the new good ol boy way, sales techs. The old good ol boys are still repairing, and raking in the cash on service, service is what keeps the cash flow going in this business.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

34. Likes R600a, Nwdave, JayMan7 liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in