+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carrier 06D tripping breaker

Post Likes
    Time to make that phone call

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fitzyfitta View Post
    Looking at my compressor model# 06DS it appears to be 1 stage suction cutoff but my compressor has 2 suction cutoff unloaders.
    If the old heads are good, you should be able to swap one. Otherwise order another head with the compressor. I'm assuming you've already tried to order it with 2 suction unloaders?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Time to make that phone call
    Yes, Sir! X2 that.
    See what Carrier has to say, that just might be the problem.

Post Likes
    I don't think having additional UNloaders would be an issue.

That compressor is designed to operate fully loaded.....

The only issue might be that they used the wrong valve plate. And/or load assembly, which is causing gas to go the wrong place inside the heads.

Now that could be a problem.

Post Likes
    Sounds like someone got creative adding a second unloader.
    Obviously that compressor has that capability under a different variant within the model. However per the nomenclature posted that S model shows only one.
    Ironically it's a service replacement compressor that will replace the G & J which are two.

Post Likes
    I shot Remanworld a message, he should be able to provide some good insight here.

7. Likes VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Sounds like someone got creative adding a second unloader.
    Obviously that compressor has that capability under a different variant within the model. However per the nomenclature posted that S model shows only one.
    Ironically it's a service replacement compressor that will replace the G & J which are two.
    Well guys,
    The Carlyle model number system is difficult to inderstand on a good day. The original compressor was probably an 06DG3280BC3600. This is a 28 cfm compressor with two banks of electric unloading. When the original compressor fails Carlyle sells you a one size fits all model, the 06DS. This compressor has one unloader HEAD that you transfer the old unloader into. If you have 2 unloaders you are supposed to remove the parts from the old compressor and reinstall them on the new one. Someone either didn't know this or decided that the compressor didn't need two banks of unloading.
    I think what is going on now is this: The compressor has 1 or more broken discharge valves and has been running that way for a while. you might be able to find the bad valves by doing a temperature check of the heads. The one that is hotter then the other 2 has broken valves. I really don't think that the compressor is field repairable because the sound that you hear is the wrist pin wear in the rod and piston. Constant head pressure on the tops of the pistons will eventially wear the pin holes into an egg shaped pattern. If you find this problem before the rattle starts new valve plates should fix it. After the rattle starts its too late and a new compressor is required. As far as the high amps go, this is another indication of broken valves. Discharge valves are the "gates" on the valve plates that keep the head pressure off of the piston heads and allow for the load reversal to occur which lubricates the wrist pin holes. High head pressure on the tops of several pistons means that the compressor has to work twice as hard to empty the cylinder on each discharge stroke. This causes the amperage to climb until the calibrated circuit breaker shuts it off. You can confirm this for your customer by removing the heads and pushing on one or more pistons until one is at top dead center. Push on each piston when it is at TDC. The bad piston/rod assembly will have a slight free wheeling movement on the downward stroke before the other pistons start to move. This is the extra movement caused by the egg shaped wrist pin holes. What caused this to happen? Liquid refrigerant slugging. Preventing this from happening again means going back to the basics. What's the superheat at the compressor? Coils clean? Fan motors working? Maybe the 2nd unloader is required to prevent the compressor from operating with a low suction pressure. What kind of oil is in the compressor? Carlyle says that if you are using POE oil then a crankcase heater is REQUIRED. POE and the new refrigerants are extremely miscible and the compressor will slug on start up unless the oils is kept warm. Sorry that I havent been responding much lately, work has just been kicking my butt.

Post Likes
    No log readings?

Post Likes
    Meg the motor , new valves won’t fix a busted compressor, and there are the reasons it’s busted to be found yet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in