+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RSES Journal. FREE .

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    I just looked up the membership fee and I am pretty sure it hasn't changed recently but last time I checked it was really expensive and now its cheap. Perspective is a funny thing.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    I had to show a young tech last week how to actually strike a match. He was astonished at how it just lights a fire. Don't kids play with matchs anymore like their folks told them not to.

Post Likes
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Still waiting on that "show of hands" from the readers/learners/smarter Techs who put their FREE Journal to good use.

LOL, maybe I should of ask for a show of hands from those that let their FREE Journal collect dust and spider webs?

5. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    Still waiting on that "show of hands" from the readers/learners/smarter Techs who put their FREE Journal to good use.

LOL, maybe I should of ask for a show of hands from those that let their FREE Journal collect dust and spider webs?
    Terry, I appreciate your thread, as I also respect your contribution to this forum, but I hope you were being sarcastic about "smarter techs" because that is a very unfair to say this. There's a heck of a lot of difference between book smart folks and hands on folks. I personally have learned most of my knowledge of this business, from hands on training, because I'm book dumb.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Hey Mr.Bill. I was taught on a Submarine(68'-72') the value of a Book/Hands on Education. As a Civilian and an Apprentice my Carrier Boss and ConnAir(Carrier Distributor in Connecticut) taught me valuable lesson's on how to be a Smarter Tech by books AND hands on. Carrier,Fedders,Trane,Kold Draft,Whirlpool, Manitowoc,Copeland,RSES, etc,etc all taught me thru BOOKS/Manuals and hands on. I still have ALL of those books to this day and I refer to one book or another ALL the time for info and Knowledge. As long as you fix things properly than you way works. My way works for me. Obviously I am a READER. I have Books/Manuals from each and every Class (250++)that I have been to, and over the years several Instructors have said "If you do not re-read and study this Class room info when you go home, with in 2 weeks you will FORGET 50% of what you learned in this Class". I paid good money for those Classes,travel,lodging,eating,drinking,lost wages at work, I WANT MY MONEY'S WORTH and I get it by reviewing those Books. Again, your way works for you,my way works for me.

8. Likes Mr Bill, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Terry, I don’t have a choice in the way that it works for me, I’m book dumb. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by theoldscroll View Post
    I had to show a young tech last week how to actually strike a match. He was astonished at how it just lights a fire. Don't kids play with matchs anymore like their folks told them not to.
    That's scary I played with thousands of matches as a kid. And I'm only 25. Of course I didn't stop at matches either gunpowder was a lot of fun.

I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Terry, I don’t have a choice in the way that it works for me, I’m book dumb. :-)
    I have a similar problem...if I know a specific book contains the answer to a specific question, I can find it. But to just open a technical book, start reading at page one and comprehend, and remember, what I should be comprehending, not so much, particularly secondary facts. A few years ago, I decided to try the RSES CMS test for heat pumps and bought the two study books. The two books add up to about 1000 pages...I don't have the self discipline to do what would be necessary to pass the test.

Post Likes

Mine collect a lot more dust than they should. I'm hoping if I sign up for a full membership I will be able to get digital copies because I would be able to read those a lot easier because the paper copy stay at home and a lot of times I'm doing my reading while I'm eating lunch or things like that and I don't have anything but my phone with me so if they're on my phone I will read them.

Post Likes
    My last 4 helpers/Apprentices were all instructed to "purchase" their own (frigging) FREE RSES Journal to help themselves get better. Not one of them did it on their own. After 3 months of me requesting their participation in this advancement I stopped asking. After them staying dumb we parted company. Two of them were shocked when I gave them their last paycheck, they responded with the Q of "why?". One of them had the balls to say, "You don't have the right!!!" . One was horrified when I responded w/ "Up yours, all the way to the backside of your tonsils". So, whats not right w/ their way of thinking.

So how about a show of hands from those that get/read/study/ask Q's at work, based on your own FREE copy of The Journal. My own hand is not raised, because I pay for my own copy of The Journal.
    I have been reading my RSES Magazine from the mid 70's AND APPLYING that info ,every day.
    There’s a great article in there where companies consolidate and merging will be a small guy killer. This happened in the 90’s and I remember how bad it got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in