+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Certification.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    I can't tell you how many licensed contractors who didn't know squat and the same for inspectors.
    However knowledge is power and there's many ways to acquire it .
    Excellent post, short and sweet, but great message.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

2. Likes DesertNomad liked this post.
    Las vegas wish I owned hell... I'd live there and rent vegas out since it'd be cooler...
    Post Likes
    Well this certainly blew up. I'll look into the CMS exams.
    Personally I enjoy the tests as a general way of testing my own knowledge of the subject matter. Sometimes it's the random bit of trivia down the road that can help you out. I want to be one of the best though it's gonna be a long never ending road to get partway up that mountain but heck I wanted to be in this field so off I went it's always something different occasionally boring occasionally arsebreaking hard but there's always something new to learn and improve upon older things. Which is why I love it.

4. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Las vegas wish I owned hell... I'd live there and rent vegas out since it'd be cooler...
    Post Likes
    Thank you all for your input for my enquiry.

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertNomad View Post
    Well this certainly blew up. I'll look into the CMS exams.
    Personally I enjoy the tests as a general way of testing my own knowledge of the subject matter. Sometimes it's the random bit of trivia down the road that can help you out. I want to be one of the best though it's gonna be a long never ending road to get partway up that mountain but heck I wanted to be in this field so off I went it's always something different occasionally boring occasionally arsebreaking hard but there's always something new to learn and improve upon older things. Which is why I love it.
    I enjoy tests too. Thats why I took these.
    I know they don't mean anything but I had fun and learned a few things.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by baylisjae View Post
    Nice patch...and some employers need a certain percentage of Nate techs for there dealer agreements carrier I believe is one
    Personally, I would like to get some patches that I can sew on all my work shirts that says "We Don't Sell Carrier".
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

8. Likes heatingman, R600a, theoldscroll liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I would be concerned if a tech showed up with a “dilligaf” patch or “ftw”.

Post Likes
    So ill throw a monkey wrench into the conversation.....

Every single HVAC test/cert/patch I have gotten was harder than my Contractors License trade test.....

Let that sink in!

11. Likes R600a, heatingman, theoldscroll, Honfor450 liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Personally, I would like to get some patches that I can sew on all my work shirts that says "We Don't Sell Carrier".
    I like that.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    I am a firm believer in Classes/Seminars/Schools(250++ for me)= knowledge= finding the answer when other have to step back just a little just so that I can get my big head in there and have a Look See, lol. This also leads to being asked by others"What do you think"?, It also leads to some interesting conversations.

Years ago, I had just moved back to NY,just got a job,just informed my boss that in 2 weeks I go to a Carrier(Syracuse,NY) 5 day Carrier Heat Pump Class. He kindly tells me to CANCEL the School,save my $$$ cause he will tell me everything that I will ever need to know about HP's. I then kindly ask him "then why are all twenty HP's at the Gull Bldg only 8"off of the roof"? His neck and face turned a funny shade of a Purplish Reddish hue.

Then upon my return to work after School,I shared w/everyone else(5 Techs) my 2 Carrier HP Certification Binders. The boss saw this ,sharing of knowledge, and he invited me into his office for a nice 1 on 1. He kindly told me "This is the LAST TIME I EVER WANT TO SEE THOSE BOOKS AROUND HERE, LEAVE THEM HOME, do I make myself clear?". I then scooted to the edge of my chair.
    Gotta go, be back to finish, theres a death in the family.
    Great subject, narrow minded managers and ‘we do it my way attitude holds Back many hungry to learn techs. I never turned down new system class. Deep in there you can see in your head how old blends with new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I have been in the HVAC industry since 1971, with contractor, wholesaler and now training. Why am I still working and training? Becaus it is fun and rewarding. Rundawg mention the class I teach, based on over 40 years of combustion testing in the field and I still feel stupid. I am still learning. Last year I just read that NASA recently found out that rust powder was the best heat shield they ever tested. So how would that affect a rusty heat exchange? That was pretty radical.
    Combustion testing with digital analyzers until the late 70's and early 80's. I compare old school testing with a bottle of liquid the equivalent of telling time with a sundial, so old school doesn't work here!
    As rundawg and some other good students on here know we ask 10 simple questions at the beginning of class, that we feel everyone should know. The class average in 2 out of 10 correct. A/C rarely kills anyone, but furnaces, water heaters, boilers, packaged units etc, do. How do you set the blower speed on a furnace in the heating mode? NCI guys lease don't answer! How do you verify the equipment is getting proper combustion air? CO poisoning occurs mostly in tight or loose buildings? Does piping outside air directly into a furnace or burner make it more efficient and stable or less efficient and unstable?(new question)
    I have done training in every southern state. Guess how many states had unsafe water heaters when I was there! People tell me they don't work on water heaters, but if it kill your customer, you still lose a customer!

I have sat through many training classes put on by people that had little or no field experience. Yes they are boring and a waste of your time. Any training is beneficial, if the training is correct information, but student beware!!
    captain CO

16. Likes R600a, rundawg, Honfor450, jacob-k liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I've never failed to pick up "nuggets" seminar, RSES monthly educational meeting or an in house training session, don't matter, when you open your eyes and look teachers are everywhere

18. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    After discovering this tread, I began looking more into RSES(always wanting to learn). Do you believe it would be valuable to join with no local chapters in my area. I'm located in NC, and all the local chapters show no new information (training, meeting minutes, etc.) post 2015 on the RSES website. I love having access to online info but its also nice to have face to face interaction when possible.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Honfor450 View Post
    After discovering this tread, I began looking more into RSES(always wanting to learn). Do you believe it would be valuable to join with no local chapters in my area. I'm located in NC, and all the local chapters show no new information (training, meeting minutes, etc.) post 2015 on the RSES website. I love having access to online info but its also nice to have face to face interaction when possible.
    Join
    You can still get remote trading.

21. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    This is my remote trading.

Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Join
    You can still get remote trading.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

23. Likes Honfor450 liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in