+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: H10 Pro

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Not charging for looking for a leak is just wrong.
    I agree.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    My boss doesn't like me to repair leaks in coils anyway so currently all I need to do is pinpoint whether it's one of the coils or the line set. If it's the line set or any of the full thickness copper then I can repair it but if it's a coil or return bend or something he doesn't want me to mess with it. It's frustrating to spend an hour and a half or more searching for a leak and not come to any real conclusion when I could gamble and replace the evaporator coil and be right 99% of the time. I know gambling on it it's not the right way to do it but sometimes it seems like it's a lot more effective. One reason I can't spend money on a leak detector right now is we don't charge for leak detection so I am not going to spend hundreds of dollars on a leak detector for a free service. If I can get them to change that policy I will buy a leak detector right away.

Even with the H10 I like to be able to verify the leak with another method if possible. Traces of oil, pressurize with N2 and soap bubbles and UV dye are all options. I also don't repair evaporators - too much risk in having another leak spring up somewhere else. I just replace.

3. Likes R600a, Unlimited1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by szw21 View Post
    Even with the H10 I like to be able to verify the leak with another method if possible. Traces of oil, pressurize with N2 and soap bubbles and UV dye are all options. I also don't repair evaporators - too much risk in having another leak spring up somewhere else. I just replace.
    Yeah, the H10 tells you where to put the bubbles to confirm.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

5. Likes R600a, Unlimited1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    My boss doesn't like me to repair leaks in coils anyway so currently all I need to do is pinpoint whether it's one of the coils or the line set. If it's the line set or any of the full thickness copper then I can repair it but if it's a coil or return bend or something he doesn't want me to mess with it. It's frustrating to spend an hour and a half or more searching for a leak and not come to any real conclusion when I could gamble and replace the evaporator coil and be right 99% of the time. I know gambling on it it's not the right way to do it but sometimes it seems like it's a lot more effective. One reason I can't spend money on a leak detector right now is we don't charge for leak detection so I am not going to spend hundreds of dollars on a leak detector for a free service. If I can get them to change that policy I will buy a leak detector right away.

You are hired then!Yay! Free labor! I charge for it, lol

7. Likes R600a, BBeerme liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Any comments on the noise with the H10-Pro I asked about earlier?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gpjazz1023 View Post
    Any comments on the noise with the H10-Pro I asked about earlier?
    I brought an H10 pro last year. I used it once in the winter and when I took it out again this spring to use it I noticed the same thing you mentioned. It was very noisy on medium and high and it didn't change at all between the two settings. I sent it back to Bacharach because the last H10 I used did not do this. That was a 120 volt model without a battery. I got it back from warranty repair and it still does the same thing. Frustrated because this is the second H10 I had that malfunctions within months of getting it I said screw it and brought an Infinicon D-Tek Stratus. I've never been happier a purchase of a leak detector. The Stratus is awesome and less finicky than the H10.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Dave_NY View Post
    I brought an H10 pro last year. I used it once in the winter and when I took it out again this spring to use it I noticed the same thing you mentioned. It was very noisy on medium and high and it didn't change at all between the two settings. I sent it back to Bacharach because the last H10 I used did not do this. That was a 120 volt model without a battery. I got it back from warranty repair and it still does the same thing. Frustrated because this is the second H10 I had that malfunctions within months of getting it I said screw it and brought an Infinicon D-Tek Stratus. I've never been happier a purchase of a leak detector. The Stratus is awesome and less finicky than the H10.
    Mine does the same thing. I assume that is now the H10 pro works. I'm not familiar with the old H10 and can see how it could be confusing if they changed the design but likely there was nothing wrong with it.

Post Likes
    Every H10 Pro i have used are noisy as described....I own one and have used 2 other brand new out of the box ones.

My H-10PM is a little bit quieter....

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I don't remember my Pro being noisy. I think it makes some noise, but I wouldn't call it noisy. Almost makes me want to go out and turn it on.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I don't remember my Pro being noisy. I think it makes some noise, but I wouldn't call it noisy. Almost makes me want to go out and turn it on.
    Turn it on and let us know. Obviously there's gonna be some noise. It's from the little motor that drives the air pump. But again, it's pretty quiet on small setting, but medium and large setting it's really loud, and exactly the same on each. I would think it should start quiet on small, then be just a little louder on medium, and then even louder on large. But it's the same on medium and large, so this is why I questioned it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gpjazz1023 View Post
    Turn it on and let us know. Obviously there's gonna be some noise. It's from the little motor that drives the air pump. But again, it's pretty quiet on small setting, but medium and large setting it's really loud, and exactly the same on each. I would think it should start quiet on small, then be just a little louder on medium, and then even louder on large. But it's the same on medium and large, so this is why I questioned it
    It does make more noise on medium and large, but I never once had the thought that there was something wrong with it.

Post Likes
    We did a quick comparison between the H10 Pro and the new Fieldpiece DR58 on a TINY leak. The Fieldpiece worked as well as the H10 and didn't have the same issue I had with their old Fieldpiece model which was false alarms.

Also the Testo 316's are right up there. I've been using the 316-3 for a year now. It's also a great detector but doesn't have the same features as the Fieldpiece or the H10. It's basically on and off and 2 sensitivity levels. Sometimes a big leak is hard to isolate when it goes nuts on the lowest setting. It doesn't have any way to zero it out automatically or manually. Not sure if the 316-4 has that ability. But that one is about $450.

I'm going to be picking up the DR58 soon.

16. Likes R600a liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian8383 View Post
    We did a quick comparison between the H10 Pro and the new Fieldpiece DR58 on a TINY leak. The Fieldpiece worked as well as the H10 and didn't have the same issue I had with their old Fieldpiece model which was false alarms.

Also the Testo 316's are right up there. I've been using the 316-3 for a year now. It's also a great detector but doesn't have the same features as the Fieldpiece or the H10. It's basically on and off and 2 sensitivity levels. Sometimes a big leak is hard to isolate when it goes nuts on the lowest setting. It doesn't have any way to zero it out automatically or manually. Not sure if the 316-4 has that ability. But that one is about $450.

That's good to hear because I'm totally fed up with the old field piece detector.
    I might be there half off trade in for the new model or whatever they do when you trade in an old tool.
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian8383 View Post

What refrigerant?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    What refrigerant?
    Sorry. R410a

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk
    [B][SIZE=2] CENTER]I no longer identify as a conspiracy theorist. You may now refer to me as “That guy that was always right”.

“What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace.”
    ― Definitely said by John Wesley

Post Likes
    Forgot to mention the H10pro is twice as sensitive set up in manual mode from messing around with mine.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ritchy.wall View Post
    I had the H10Pro now for 5 Years approximately, it worked awesome until it sucked in a small amount of moisture; send it away for repair several hundred $ latter and it never has been the same
    That’s not to take anything away from it though as this was completely my fault for not checking if there was water In the drain pan first.
    Go for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had this exact same experience. Using the stratus now

Hurst11 is offline Professional Member/Membership Committee
    Post Likes
    Mine is louder when set to med or large leak. Small leak is real quiet. Pretty sure that’s just the way they are and nothing is wrong. Coworker has one and is the same way.

Post Likes
    I have a new H10 and a Stratus.I like the Stratus better.The h10 seems much harder to get use to.Some guys love the H10.I find it hard to use.

Post Likes
    The H-10 Pro is difficult use. It takes a real tech to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleng View Post
    I have a new H10 and a Stratus.I like the Stratus better.The h10 seems much harder to get use to.Some guys love the H10.I find it hard to use.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in