+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fun one!

Post Likes

Fun one!

At least after the first day BS. The guy had radiant in slab in the room opposite this large utility room. No place for baseboard except behind couch on interior wall. A/C Wards (rheem)ancient leaker. Yanked the a/c and installed new air handler with a hot water coil tied into the zone valve that took care of only that slab heat room. Have a low R/A and three high supply registers pushing nice warm air toward the glass now and I have a feeling with all the furniture, rugs and all the rest he may have even better heat now. He can also leave some registers open in winter for his first floor above a crawl space zone he claims starts losing ground quick at zero degrees. Figured 40 hours, took 36 and was within about a hundred of my material cost. Not bad considering I did not know sheet metal was also going through the roof. The air handler came with some god knows what board and a normally open freeze switch. Yanked it all. One relay to kick on fan from the heat/ac stat and one to power low speed off the zone valve W and one that will break 24 to a/c if freeze stat closes which is highly doubtful.

Excuse the dent, it was the only one available and the job got pushed up when the a/c reached the low charge freeze up point.

Abbate before by Glenn Hanson, on Flickr

Abbate after by Glenn Hanson, on Flickr

2. Likes dieseldude, GoCougs liked this post.
    Post Likes
    feels like more headroom in there now too, I expect.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Looks nice!

Post Likes
    Big improvement!
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    Thanks. I neglected to take into account that that trunk line off the old plenum only did the downstairs. Unseen was the 8x16 coming off the top of the plenum and running to the attic which ended up being the trunk line coming off the front of the new air handler. Luckily it only involved one broadway, a shortway and maybe 8" duct and an hour or so.

7. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Turned out well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Just confirm the freeze stat feature.

Ive never seen one on a resi set up, but all the ones used in commercial are normally closed and open on a freeze. And are manual reset. So if you buy them and they went through a winter on a shelf or van, they are always tripped when you get them cause they were exposed to low temps.

So you got to reset them when you put them into service.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    Just confirm the freeze stat feature.

Ive never seen one on a resi set up, but all the ones used in commercial are normally closed and open on a freeze. And are manual reset. So if you buy them and they went through a winter on a shelf or van, they are always tripped when you get them cause they were exposed to low temps.

So you got to reset them when you put them into service.

This one was normally open and when it closed it would cycle on the heat or pump somehow through the circuit board. I really can't picture any scene where a residential a/c would freeze up the hydronic coil anyway. At that point the coils would be a block of solid ice with no air passing through it. I just used the normally open contacts on the freeze control to power a relay and break it's normally closed contacts in the Y circuit to condenser.

11. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Another 1" filter, and how come you aren't giving a means of clean-out on the drain??

13. Dislikes Glennhvac disliked this post.
    Post Likes
    I'll worry about the half days job of cleaning the Ptrap a few years down the road.

15. Likes 406Tinner liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in