+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Refrigeration Gauges & Hoses

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I think somehow I got mixed up. It looks like acutools is the one. They definitely sell rebuild kits.

https://www.trutechtools.com/Accutoo...r-Tool-1-4x1-4

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    Nice! I’ve heard good things about that brand!

In a pinch I’ve found that sometimes you can take the oring out of the black plastic caps you get with recovery cylinders and refrigerant jugs and it’ll fit nicely in appions and removers.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

2. Likes R600a liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    Nice! I’ve heard good things about that brand!

In a pinch I’ve found that sometimes you can take the oring out of the black plastic caps you get with recovery cylinders and refrigerant jugs and it’ll fit nicely in appions and removers.
    Yeah I sure love their blue hoses and micron gauge.
    I carry a few hundred automotive ac o-rings in an organizer so I usually have what I need.

I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Yeah I sure love their blue hoses and micron gauge.
    I carry a few hundred automotive ac o-rings in an organizer so I usually have what I need.

Awesome! I don’t carry them with me but I keep a lot of oring kits in my shop. I’ve found the viton orings to be especially tough.

I’ve got a check valve for 4500 psi and the black oring failed during the first use. Basically the pressure just obliterated it. I put a viton on there and it’s been good ever since.

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

5. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Awesome! I don’t carry them with me but I keep a lot of oring kits in my shop. I’ve found the viton orings to be especially tough.

I’ve got a check valve for 4500 psi and the black oring failed during the first use. Basically the pressure just obliterated it. I put a viton on there and it’s been good ever since.
    Are the green ones viton?
    Edit: they are not.
    I think I am going to order a kit of viton ones to have now.
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

Post Likes
    Are the green ones viton?
    Edit: they are not.
    I think I am going to order a kit of viton ones to have now.
    Yeah they’re brown. I got the kit I have now at Harbor Freight. There are probably better kits out there. Viton is extremely resistant to chemicals, more so than other orings. If you take a look at a chemical compatibility chart it’s quite impressive. There’re also a higher durometer so they’re less flexible but also tougher.

8. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Yeah they’re brown. I got the kit I have now at Harbor Freight. There are probably better kits out there. Viton is extremely resistant to chemicals, more so than other orings. If you take a look at a chemical compatibility chart it’s quite impressive. There’re also a higher durometer so they’re less flexible but also tougher.
    Are they the 90a duro meter or 75a? Those seem to be the normal numbers I am seeing on line.

Post Likes
    Are they the 90a duro meter or 75a? Those seem to be the normal numbers I am seeing on line.

That’s a good question. I’m not sure what mine are because they don’t list it and I don’t have a durometer gauge. If I had to guess I’d say 90a. Since you mostly have automotive style it might be nice to have something in the 90s (if it’s cost effective) then if you decide you also want some more flexible ones you could get the 75s.

But if you have a Harbor Freight near you, they’re priced well and I’ve been using those so I know they’re pretty good!

11. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I like YJ, JB and NRP equally, can't see much difference. You made a wise choice with ball valve hoses, they seem to work best for me too.
    As to low loss fittings, I've tried them all and JB are the best for me. They are small, and not much larger than regular fittings, and mine never blew out. The problem is those times you just don't want to deal with the LL fittings, so it's just easier to use ball valves, and they work for anything.

13. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    That’s a good question. I’m not sure what mine are because they don’t list it and I don’t have a durometer gauge. If I had to guess I’d say 90a. Since you mostly have automotive style it might be nice to have something in the 90s (if it’s cost effective) then if you decide you also want some more flexible ones you could get the 75s.

But if you have a Harbor Freight near you, they’re priced well and I’ve been using those so I know they’re pretty good!
    Viton usually splits the difference between 70 and 90 durometer. I believe it's around 78.
    Viton is good for many more applications due to better chemical resistance.
    And it's EXTREMELY good at high temperatures.
    The only real fail point is low temperatures. That's where they tend to leak.

15. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant mech View Post
    What's everyone using for low loss fittings?
    I have them on my probes and absolutely love them. But never had any for hoses
    I started using the low loss fittings this summer on my stubby gauges and on my manifold.

Post Likes
    I like how yellow jacket stamps the date on the brass. Other than that I prefer the JB Kobra hoses.

18. Likes joemach liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by channellxbob View Post
    I like YJ, JB and NRP equally, can't see much difference. You made a wise choice with ball valve hoses, they seem to work best for me too.
    As to low loss fittings, I've tried them all and JB are the best for me. They are small, and not much larger than regular fittings, and mine never blew out. The problem is those times you just don't want to deal with the LL fittings, so it's just easier to use ball valves, and they work for anything.
    I switched to JB low loss a few years ago from YJ. I liked them more than the YJ mainly because they were smaller and seemed to last as long and work as well. Just have a couple rebuild kits in your truck ready to go.

That being said, I went back to ball valves a few months back. I find them the best solution. Less issues with higher pressure nitrogen checks and less issues with getting refrigerant bit on the high side.

Post Likes
    I've tried low loss hoses from JB and YJ and I've tried the Uniweld ends for hose that are low loss. I didn't like any of them, but the JB was the best. I have for quite a while used hoses with ball valves. I like the YJ pretty well, but the valve right at the end of the hose is a pain to turn right up against a unit. So, I bought a set of Mastercool hoses with the valve 8" or so from the end, and love them, so much easier to use. I liked them so much that when I needed another hose set I ordered a set of NRP with the knob style valve 8" or so from the end and will be using them most of the time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    I run a supply house. The consensus of most of my customers prefer JB manifolds and YJ hoses
    That is funny. I am the opposite, YJ manifold & JB hoses.

May go your way next set.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

22. Likes 2sac liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in