+ Reply to Thread

Thread: code compliant or not - "romex" in conduit

Post Likes

Question code compliant or not - "romex" in conduit

Is it permissible to use NMC/Romex in conduit, like for an a/c whip?

I was told no by our senior sparky and an inspector years ago, but have since heard it is okay per NEC. I did some reading in the section someone quoted, but I a not sure that applies: NEC code 334.15 .

Thanks

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    I don't think so only in underground conduit.

Post Likes
    I see it done almost universally, could just strip off sheathing if concerned about it.

last inspection inspt commented can't bundle a bunch of wires through a 1 1/2" romex clamp in panel now.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    not approved for damp locations . even though the cable contains thhn wire it is not marked

5. Likes kangaroogod liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Galt View Post
    not approved for damp locations . even though the cable contains thhn wire it is not marked
    You're referring to with the jacket removed correct ?

Post Likes
    No can do. I will sleeve it in a couple feet to a disconnect but even that is not code compliant

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    In a pinch .... Strip off the yellow ... or orange sheathing , and the paper ofcourse , so you only have the wires , and I doubt anyone would notice the difference

Post Likes
    A few years ago a State Fire Marshall said it was not approved. He said something about the jacket on the romex acting like insulation if the wires got warm when inside conduit.

Post Likes
    what does he say about wires in an insulated wall cavity? or under 16" insulation in attic? or buried in sparyed foam in wall?

in attic or close to roof on top, you actually have to derate wire in some cases, or if more than one circuit run in a conduit. inspect was being a butt in one area so checked all that stuff on a job cust later backed out on.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    I vaguely remember something about the insulation on stranded single conductor wire has a different type of insulation than the single core wire in 'romex'... something about the insulation on the single conductors in romex is more vulnerable to snagging and shorting.

You electrical guys... is that part of the code or no????
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    Is it permissible to use NMC/Romex in conduit, like for an a/c whip?

I was told no by our senior sparky and an inspector years ago, but have since heard it is okay per NEC. I did some reading in the section someone quoted, but I a not sure that applies: NEC code 334.15 .

Thanks

NO, it specifically stats in the code you cannot use NM cable in wet locations and yes inside the conduit is considered a wet locations if used outdoor.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    NO, it specifically stats in the code you cannot use NM cable in wet locations and yes inside the conduit is considered a wet locations if used outdoor.
    Yup, not allowed outdoors for the reasons you say 300.9, 310.10, but along with that,NM is only rated for
    60degC, 140degF a conduit in the sun could get hotter than that and the allowable ampacity can't exceed that
    of a 60degC wire. Got to use a wire with a "W" in it's ID.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in