+ Reply to Thread

Thread: multi-zone heat pump

Post Likes

multi-zone heat pump

My first 3-zone ductless system, which meant quite a large lineset bundle entering the crawlspace. Decided to vinyl-wrap the whole thing, which blended in with the siding and kept things neat. Don't think I've seen a lineset cover that would have held all three sets. Overall, pretty happy with how this install turned out. (Homeowner will need to replace window sash to remove old defunct window unit.)

What the picture doesn't show is that this is actually a log cabin, so underneath the aluminum siding is about 8" of solid wood. Drilling that 5" diameter hole was ... interesting.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    What’s down and left of the unit stuck on the siding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Also, why would anyone want to clad a log cabin with vinyl siding?

Makes what probably looked pretty sharp into a cookie cutter dump.

-my opinion.

4. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Oddly, it seemed to be an old dryer vent. The outdoor unit is actually mounted to a concrete block utility room that abuts the main log structure. It looked like someone had once set up laundry machines out there.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    Also, why would anyone want to clad a log cabin with vinyl siding?

Makes what probably looked pretty sharp into a cookie cutter dump.

-my opinion.

Hah, I hear ya. It's actually aluminum siding, but yeah ... my guess is the logs were rotted, and easier to hide them than deal with properly.

Post Likes
    6" diversatech line hide or custom sheetmetal. How did you waterproof? I have checked behind a company or 2 that set rubber oatey flashings on a flat roof thinking that would hold. Oh how they were wrong.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamoramax View Post
    6" diversatech line hide or custom sheetmetal. How did you waterproof? I have checked behind a company or 2 that set rubber oatey flashings on a flat roof thinking that would hold. Oh how they were wrong.

Huh, for some reason I thought SpeediChannel only came in 3" and 4" widths, don't know how I missed it. Even the 6" sounds like it would have been a tight fit, but probably could have made it work. I used what I was familiar with at the time. Not much experience with doing decorative sheet metal like that.

Siliconed around the line sets in the hole, and they're sloped upward as they enter the crawlspace. I concede, a custom flashing would have been more elegant.

9. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacluke View Post
    Huh, for some reason I thought SpeediChannel only came in 3" and 4" widths, don't know how I missed it. Even the 6" sounds like it would have been a tight fit, but probably could have made it work. I used what I was familiar with at the time. Not much experience with doing decorative sheet metal like that.

Siliconed around the line sets in the hole, and they're sloped upward as they enter the crawlspace. I concede, a custom flashing would have been more elegant.
    For not having some sort of cover it looks good. Good job.

11. Likes hvacluke liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacluke View Post
    My first 3-zone ductless system, which meant quite a large lineset bundle entering the crawlspace. Decided to vinyl-wrap the whole thing, which blended in with the siding and kept things neat. Don't think I've seen a lineset cover that would have held all three sets. Overall, pretty happy with how this install turned out. (Homeowner will need to replace window sash to remove old defunct window unit.)

What the picture doesn't show is that this is actually a log cabin, so underneath the aluminum siding is about 8" of solid wood. Drilling that 5" diameter hole was ... interesting.
    Looks pretty good for what you have to work with.

Series 140 Rectorseal slimduct will handle 3 sets of line set (1/4 & 3/8).
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

13. Likes hvacluke liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Drill 2 or 3 separate holes and use 2 or 3 sections of 4" linehide.

Post Likes
    Looks like the disconnect might have had a bad night.
    I get that some times from bad sushi.

The log built house reminded of an Archie Bunker show where he lived in a brick house but was sold vinyl siding.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Looks like the disconnect might have had a bad night.
    I get that some times from bad sushi.

The log built house reminded of an Archie Bunker show where he lived in a brick house but was sold vinyl siding.
    Hah! If I remember correctly, there was evidence of an old hose spigot there, and I used the existing hole for the disconnect. Rust stains must have come from the water.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in