+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 134A - 12 oz. cans

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    That makes absolutely NO Sense!]

Buy the right refrigerant!
    Been using 30lb automotive cylinders for years from Sams Club. Never had an issue.

2. Likes R600a liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stat View Post
    Been using 30lb automotive cylinders for years from Sams Club. Never had an issue.
    The subject's been beat to death but it seems that they only make one refrigerant grade and they just package it in different containers. I use 12 oz cam sometimes for convenience although most of the time what I happen to have in the truck is a 30 pounder so that's what I use.
    There is two different standards for the refrigerants but as far as I could find from hours to researching they do not use the automotive standard anymore and have not for decades. My HVAC store sells 134a and you can pick through depending on which type of valve you want on the top of the can. The ones that have the automotive style threads come with an adapter to adapt them to quarter inch.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

4. Likes stat liked this post.
    Post Likes

Is there a difference between the 30# & 12 oz. cans? I'm not going to use the 12 oz cans that have leak seal in them. Thanks

Post Likes
    Some have oil added. PAG

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Why would there be a R22 scale ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    Where do you use that icemeister ?
    Window shaker ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Where do you use that icemeister ?
    Window shaker ?
    That's not my photo, but I have one just like it that I bought from a local supply house. I also have a R134A for the car. (I sold the car but still have the FREON )

They have a different connection and adapter than the cans sold in the states. The can tapper has a check valve and a rubber seal so you can unscrew the adapter and not lose any gas. Very handy for top-offs for my old thru-the-wall A/C.

10. Likes VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    That's not right your can should be looking like this 🤣
    Attached Images Attached Images  

12. Likes WT70 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

14. Likes R600a, VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have a 30lb cylinder of R134a which I use for automotive and it has a 1/2 ACME connection. I assume this is common in automotive since the Robinair gauges I use when working on auto systems also has a 1/2 ACME connector at one end of the charging hose. It looks really similar to to the SAE connection but slightly larger.

For the cans you can just get the correct can adapter as others have shown.

16. Likes R600a, crazzycajun liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    This is what I have. Still have cans of R12 I use for my 89 Ford F-250 truck.

18. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Anybody remember the freon powered BB machine guns? used the 12 oz. cans

Post Likes
    Damn you is old ! 😃

21. Likes R600a, JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jayinsc View Post
    Anybody remember the freon powered BB machine guns? used the 12 oz. cans
    A friend mowed down a row of his mother's tulips with a uzi. I left right after cause I knew what was coming next lol

Post Likes
    134a is just a molecule. It’s the same in a small can as it is in a jug, but you’ll want to be sure there are no additives in the small can. But just buy the jug. You should be charging enough for the refrigerant that you will easily pay off the investment.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

24. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    I charge them up to 18-20 psi and Im outta there !
    Yep...I don't care to do this anymore. I showed up one time, kitchen was packed. They are making sandwiches over my head as i'm trying to assure the evaporator isn't iced over. Whatever. They are constantly in and out of it while its trying to pull down, full of food at that. As i'm charging the owner comes over...How much do you put in for it to work? Enough i say. How long will it last. I dont know, you have a leak. Its not spewing out so it seems like a small one, I'd be happy to investigate further, it's likely in the coil but i would have to disassemble the unit and use a leak detector to confirm the location. "Can't I just buy some of that stuff and put it in myself when it gets low?"... Sure i say, its your equipment you can do whatever you want with it. (i'm charging from a 30# jug). Get a call the next day asking me to come back, its not working. I go back and turns out there was some frost insulating that inside coil.I let it defrost and adjusted the charge. I didnt get paid for the second trip. He never even said thanks. Apparently i should have gotten all this perfect the night before during the dinner rush for the $xx.00 i recieved. They can pound salt as far as i'm concerned. For now on, i will only top off once i have found the leak and the correct repairs are made or parts are ordered. I'm not going to waste my time on these throw away units for these cheap owners.

Post Likes
    wallmart has an adapter that puses the red thingy with your good old piercer, about 2$, right by the almost hard to get 12oz'rs

Post Likes

I work on mostly Supermarket stuff. Occasionally a couple of friends call me to work on stuff at their restaurant. Or a vending machine company that somehow I ended up with their refrigeration work.

But even most Supermarkets have very little equipment with 134a.

So I keep the 12oz cans in my truck. I have 2 right now that I have had for a couple months or more.

Why would I want to buy a 30# drum when it would take me a year or more to use it?

So I understand the OP’s question. And made my own adapter. Just keep forgetting to post a pic lol.

But those criticizing those of us that don’t do the same amount of work on a specific type of equipment…

We are buying the right refrigerant. Matter of fact, one can I have is National Refrigerants. Bought at AutoZone I think.

We just dont need 30# at the time.

And BTW. A little secret. Check the price of 30# drums of 134a at your local auto parts store. It may surprise you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't fix it if it won't stay broke..

28. Likes R600a liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WT70 View Post
    I work on mostly Supermarket stuff. Occasionally a couple of friends call me to work on stuff at their restaurant. Or a vending machine company that somehow I ended up with their refrigeration work.

But even most Supermarkets have very little equipment with 134a.

So I keep the 12oz cans in my truck. I have 2 right now that I have had for a couple months or more.

Why would I want to buy a 30# drum when it would take me a year or more to use it?

So I understand the OP’s question. And made my own adapter. Just keep forgetting to post a pic lol.

But those criticizing those of us that don’t do the same amount of work on a specific type of equipment…

We are buying the right refrigerant. Matter of fact, one can I have is National Refrigerants. Bought at AutoZone I think.

We just dont need 30# at the time.

And BTW. A little secret. Check the price of 30# drums of 134a at your local auto parts store. It may surprise you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah I only started buying the 30 lb drums because I found out my supply houses can't hardly get rid of the stuff so they'll sell it dirt cheap especially to a good customer.
    Then I started doing cars and cans are too much hassle anyway.
    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    And when I did restaurant coolers,almost 100% were134,, with some legacy accounts and copelamatics that used 22
    So, I carried ICOR Hot Shot,for the 12 units, ICOR NU22b,for the 22 units,evac n rechg those. I also have 404 for those legacy ice machine accounts.
    But these days,specialty ,niche jobs, almost 100%134. I use the 12oz cans when in a high rise,and my wireless gauges and a "T" fitting.
    Why,you ponder? So I can use the Residential elevator,with the client,not dressed like a Tech,and no visible tools.
    The trade elevators are way to slow and busy.
    When I do need tools, I'm carrying an EMT bag,and a hospital style smock....great service from doormen!
    No, no stetha sope...but they get the hint anyway,and use their express key in the elevator!
    The rest of the time,30# (DOUBLED IN PRICE!!!!too)and when it's super cold,Weeeenter is brutal here,I use a small,cheap,induction hotplate to
    warm the 30#r for just a very few moments while I hook up. weighs next to nuttin,takes very little space,makes life SOOO very much easier.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in