+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lots of people use stand alone air purifiers but they don't bring in air from outside

Post Likes

Lots of people use stand alone air purifiers but they don't bring in air from outside

I want my air purifier to only purify outdoor air and then exhaust it to me near where I'm sitting so my zone has the best air in the room. (I don't live with anyone.) What I find curious is why there seems to be no easy way of doing this. The most common way seems to be to put a board in the window with ducting attached to that board. If the ducting curves upwards rain shouldn't be a problem. But is there a better way of doing this? How would you draw air from a window to the air purifier? And why don't hey make window mounted air purifiers?

Post Likes
    It depends on where you live…sometimes the outside air is more contaminated than the inside and better quality air filters should be installed from the get go…there are plenty of other IAQ products to install into your system to keep the entire house clean and not just 1 room

Makeup/fresh air ducting to your return before the filter is always an option

Post Likes
    Wanted to add that my example in the original post is for a room without forced air so the window is the sole source of fresh air.

Post Likes
    > It depends on where you live…sometimes the outside air is more contaminated than the inside

That is very rare. We've seen it this year with all the fires raging but 99% of the time the inside air is much worse. Plus even if the outside air was worse it doesn't matter because we need the oxygen, right? If the air is cleaned its cleaned.

> and better quality air filters should be installed from the get go …there are plenty of other IAQ products to install into your system to keep the entire house clean and not just 1 room.

Not sure what you mean by this. I was assuming it was understood that my example is of a home without forced air. I should add that to make sure its understood. And I would but it appears there is no edit option. I added a reply (which some people will no doubt miss).

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanair2020 View Post
    > It depends on where you live…sometimes the outside air is more contaminated than the inside

That is very rare. We've seen it this year with all the fires raging but 99% of the time the inside air is much worse. Plus even if the outside air was worse it doesn't matter because we need the oxygen, right? If the air is cleaned its cleaned.

> and better quality air filters should be installed from the get go …there are plenty of other IAQ products to install into your system to keep the entire house clean and not just 1 room.

Not sure what you mean by this. I was assuming it was understood that my example is of a home without forced air. I should add that to make sure its understood. And I would but it appears there is no edit option. I added a reply (which some people will no doubt miss).
    HOuse air is outside with indoor pollutants added and oxygen removed. must suggest a fresh air change in 4-5 hours to purge the pollutants and maintain healthy levels of oxygen. Always provide fresh air and filter for the known pollutants. During cold weather wind is up and the stack effect will get enough air without mechanical ventilation. During mild season and calm winds, the natural air change drops as low as an air change in 12 hours. Should be 3-5 hours for and air change.

Keep us posted.

Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

6. Likes R600a, pageyjim liked this post.
    Post Likes
    So the question is what would be a good way of bringing air from the window to the air purifier? I'm using a box fan with furnace filters. if I use plastic it will rattle with the air movement. Most people use ducting to a piece of wood in the window. Is there a better option? Obviously this is for rooms without forced air which is much of the country. What is incredible is why this is ignored, especially for common sizes of windows. One could attach ducting like a screen which usually has 4 screw mounts. Maybe there are just too many sizes of windows out there to make this practical. And that's probably why you see plywood used with a hole in it for attaching the ducting or ducting adapter. As long as the ducting goes up rain won't be an issue. This would necessitate placing the filter high up which I suppose isn't a bad thing, just awkward for some situations.

And why are inline fans so expensive? Are they designed better? Admittedly, there are a lot of very cheaply made fans out there I see in box fans with very poorly mounted motors on flimsy frames coupled with plastic fan blades which probably flex a lot more than metal would.

Post Likes
    I’ve always wondered about a solution for my home. ERVs are huge and too big for a finished space. You would want the air filtered and conditioned. I’m trying to research a design for A/C in my already finished home. The more you want the bigger the system and space. Hopefully someone will design something soon.

Post Likes
    The answer is to analyze each part of the process. You need to draw fresh air in and reduce the noise from outside: Sound absorbing ducting. Then you need to change the temperature. Then you need to distribute it to the room. What I've found helpful is to orient yourself so the area you spend the most amount of time in is the first area to be hit with that fresh air. This can make an enormous different in the air quality you're breathing. Yet is rarely considered by most people.
    Familiarize yourself with inline fans. They tend to be expensive. Learn what makes them quiet and what is available in your area or online. They are used everywhere in commercial and residential applications so there should be lots available no matter where you are.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanair2020 View Post
    The answer is to analyze each part of the process. You need to draw fresh air in and reduce the noise from outside: Sound absorbing ducting. Then you need to change the temperature. Then you need to distribute it to the room. What I've found helpful is to orient yourself so the area you spend the most amount of time in is the first area to be hit with that fresh air. This can make an enormous different in the air quality you're breathing. Yet is rarely considered by most people.
    Familiarize yourself with inline fans. They tend to be expensive. Learn what makes them quiet and what is available in your area or online. They are used everywhere in commercial and residential applications so there should be lots available no matter where you are.
    It’s kind of a known fact that the bedrooms are where you spend the most amount of time (sleeping) , it’s just something to think about…

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in