Thread: Replacing 90 degree turn in supply duct that also contains air register

Post Likes

Replacing 90 degree turn in supply duct that also contains air register

I am remodeling my bathroom and would like to make this bulkhead as small as possible. Is it OK to get this bend swapped with flex duct or something along those lines? Would anyone have good ideas on how to minimize the space needed to connect these ducts?

Thanks in advance.

Name:  IMG_0056.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  316.7 KB

Post Likes
    Looks like that goes up from there.

Post Likes
    Yes it goes up and out to the rest of the house.

Post Likes
    What's the dimensions of that vertical duct ?

Post Likes
    It is 9" x 12" (the horizontal part from air handler is 9" x 8")

Post Likes
    It looks like there are 2 elbows there, one turning up the other turning toward the camera maybe between the joist.

I don't see how you are going to improve that much except making the register opening smaller and having turning vanes put in the elbows. As to size you are kinda stuck.

Post Likes
    Use of flex will make it worse. Flex is not for turns.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

8. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by robert_oddy View Post
    It is 9" x 12" (the horizontal part from air handler is 9" x 8")
    That's odd that the duct would increase moving down stream.

Post Likes
    Is the air handler above or below this floor ?

Post Likes
    There's a 90 deg elbow that goes up into the ceiling, then from there it Ts out, one way going towards the camera and the other going away from camera. That arrow pointing up that says "to rest of house" really should be pointing at the camera.

I was thinking of getting a 90 deg round elbow installed instead but that probably wouldn't save any room. Would it be better just to get turning vanes installed?

As for the register, I was planning on just closing it off.

Post Likes
    The air handler is actually on the same floor to the right on other side of wall (this is the basement). We are maybe about 2 ft away from it in this picture. The duct does increase in size, maybe because it Ts off in the ceiling but I am just guessing.

Post Likes
    So you have 1- 9x8 feeding 2- 9x12. What part of nowhere does that work?

Is there any way to increase the 9x8 either wider or deeper?

Post Likes
    Wow it must really blast out of that bathroom vent.
    I think you're stuck with what you've got other then lowering that area.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    So you have 1- 9x8 feeding 2- 9x12. What part of nowhere does that work?

Is there any way to increase the 9x8 either wider or deeper?
    I don't think there is without a lot of work. That duct from the right comes straight off the air handler. The supply duct comes up from unit then Ts out to opposite sides of the house. The incoming duct in picture is one side of the T.

So from the sounds of it I am pretty much stuck with this bend.

Post Likes
    This is an instance of sacrificing performance for space. Air does not like to change shape or direction. There are good and bad fittings as far as air flow. The ones in the pictures are bad. Air flow is not like an extension cord which can be plugged in and then travel in circles to the other end.

Turning vanes will help. It remains to be seen how much.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    This is an instance of sacrificing performance for space. Air does not like to change shape or direction. There are good and bad fittings as far as air flow. The ones in the pictures are bad. Air flow is not like an extension cord which can be plugged in and then travel in circles to the other end.

Turning vanes will help. It remains to be seen how much.
    Would it even be worthwhile to get the upward bend replaced with a 90 deg round elbow? I think there would be some space saved and better airflow, but not sure if the time and cost is worth it.

Post Likes
    Only if a square to round transition is built to the elbow. Putting a round fitting into the end of a square trunk creates a lot of turbulence.
    Plus an elbow will have a radius on the inside of the turn so it will take up more room. A curved inner radius is good for air flow. A sharp 90° inside turn is bad for air flow.

19. Likes robert_oddy liked this post.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in