+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leak bubbles...Always wondered..

Post Likes

Leak bubbles...Always wondered..

Let's assume you can control the pressure from scratch with nitrogen. Is there an optimal PSI where the bubble solution gives you your best chance of seeing a leak? I always finger the thing will show up best at the lowest pressure you can use...a few pounds let's say. All I know is that on gas pipe I can get huge bubbles and never seem to get the same results with an A/C unit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Glennhvac View Post
    Let's assume you can control the pressure from scratch with nitrogen. Is there an optimal PSI where the bubble solution gives you your best chance of seeing a leak? I always finger the thing will show up best at the lowest pressure you can use...a few pounds let's say. All I know is that on gas pipe I can get huge bubbles and never seem to get the same results with an A/C unit.
    If your pressure is to high you won't get huge bubbles because it just blows it out of the way.

I only use bubbles if I show up and it's empty. Hit it hard with nitro and listen, drop down to 20 psi to show the customer.

Tempstar requires pictures for unit replacement warranty after the first year, so I drop to 20psi and snap a picture.

Otherwise, leak detector.

3. Likes Unlimited1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I personally don’t feel like there is a target pressure. The bubbles look different based on the leak and pressure applied but however they look they are are noticeable under most scenarios.

To conserve nitrogen I start with 50 psi to see if it’s a huge leak, then go up to max pressure if it isn’t huge.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

5. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Each soap solution reacts differently also. Some indicate better on small leaks some better on large leaks.

Las vegas wish I owned hell... I'd live there and rent vegas out since it'd be cooler...
    Post Likes
    I use the blue stuff and a refrigerant leak detector and if like last night with a tricky leak search I pumped it to just over 500 lbs to find a couple of leaks on a coil and the u-bends.
    But for the most part you shouldn't have any trouble finding leaks at 200 or so

Post Likes
    I use the UV dye and typically find it this way…on the older units, this is a 5 ton evap in an 8 year old AH, pinholes galore!

Post Likes
    Glitch duplicate

Post Likes
    Brand new units are not exempt from the factory leak free….but still found easier with the UV dye

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited1 View Post
    I use the UV dye and typically find it this way…on the older units, this is a 5 ton evap in an 8 year old AH, pinholes galore!
    That’s pretty sweet man! It seems like a lot of HVAC people are super anti dye. I’ve never understood this because dye is like an industry standard in the automotive world. Some manufacturers add it in at the factory.

Putting the pieces together as best as I can. I wonder if at some point in time there was some HVAC dye manufacturer that made a dye that was harming systems. Then from that point on dye got a bad rap.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

12. Likes Unlimited1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    They been using DYE in vehicles for centuries .....

14. Likes JayMan7, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Back in the day(72') Red dye was already mixed w/ the Freon(Du Pont) in the 30lb cylinder.

16. Likes JayMan7, Unlimited1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    I personally don’t feel like there is a target pressure. The bubbles look different based on the leak and pressure applied but however they look they are are noticeable under most scenarios.

To conserve nitrogen I start with 50 psi to see if it’s a huge leak, then go up to max pressure if it isn’t huge.
    X2 dat !!

18. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    Back in the day(72') Red dye was already mixed w/ the Freon(Du Pont) in the 30lb cylinder.
    I remember that stuff back in 80s too.
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Jonathan Lawson 2024

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    They been using DYE in vehicles for centuries .....
    My buddy's 2004 Chevy Tahoe came from the factory with leak dye in it. It says right on the AC data tag how much oil how much refrigerant and the fact that it has leak dye.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    That’s pretty sweet man! It seems like a lot of HVAC people are super anti dye. I’ve never understood this because dye is like an industry standard in the automotive world. Some manufacturers add it in at the factory.

Putting the pieces together as best as I can. I wonder if at some point in time there was some HVAC dye manufacturer that made a dye that was harming systems. Then from that point on dye got a bad rap.
    My picture proof is irrefutable and next you hear …when does the new part arrive? Lol…some can be repaired but others are a total loss…
    I agree with the others as leak dye was the standard in refrigerant..

Post Likes
    Copeland always said that there were only 2 items allowed inside the refrigeration system. Lets have a Mitch Miller Sing Along Moment here ,ready, anna won anna two ,anna ALL TOGETHER NOW "REFRIGERANT AND REFRIGERANT OIL". Ahhh,music to my ears,boys and girls. Then the "S" word for "crap" happened and now there are a bunch of additives available.

And now Copeland says that there are 3 (as in 1 more than 2) items allowed inside the refrigeration system. Mitch Miller again? OK "REFRIGERANT, REFRIERANT OIL and SPECTROLINE".

23. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Emerson owns Copeland and now owns Spectronics Corporation, Mfg of Spectroline,the "Ultraviolet Technology For A Changing World" Co.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    Copeland always said that there were only 2 items allowed inside the refrigeration system. Lets have a Mitch Miller Sing Along Moment here ,ready, anna won anna two ,anna ALL TOGETHER NOW "REFRIGERANT AND REFRIGERANT OIL". Ahhh,music to my ears,boys and girls. Then the "S" word for "crap" happened and now there are a bunch of additives available.

And now Copeland says that there are 3 (as in 1 more than 2) items allowed inside the refrigeration system. Mitch Miller again? OK "REFRIGERANT, REFRIERANT OIL and SPECTROLINE".
    Oh darn! You know! Dammit! Lol

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in