Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone tried the new Testo 557 digital gauges?

Post Likes
    Testo Probes are the way to go. I love them but hated that anytime I needed to evaluate what they were seeing, my damn phone would ring. Sooooo, I grabbed an old Samsung tablet and put a new battery in it. $25 and two hours later my probes have their own dedicated display that is never disrupted. Im telling ya, try it and you won't go back.

2. Likes R600a, TruTech-Bill liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motojo646 View Post
    Testo Probes are the way to go. I love them but hated that anytime I needed to evaluate what they were seeing, my damn phone would ring. Sooooo, I grabbed an old Samsung tablet and put a new battery in it. $25 and two hours later my probes have their own dedicated display that is never disrupted. Im telling ya, try it and you won't go back.
    That’s cool you’re happy with them and I’ve been debating replacing an old iPad mini battery for use with my probes as well.

The 3 things that made me switch from the Testo probes to the FPs was the drastic range difference, the speed of the NTC temperature clamps vs the split rail, and the app was horrible. Don’t know if that’s changed or not. I even emailed them, and they weren’t interested in integrating all of the wireless tools. I had the air probes, refer probes, mini-vane anemometer, hot-wire anemometer, 730-3 DMM power clamp, and the 420 flow hood. The 730-3 couldn’t zero AC Amps, so the accuracy just wasn’t there especially with small motors like draft inducers. The SC680 is much better. The Amp clamp design of the 730 is great though.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motojo646 View Post
    I agree on the Samsung tablet. That is what I use. When the other tech at my company says apple is better I just say come stand out in the sun with your apple for 20 minutes beside my cheap Samsung while watching a unit stabilize and explain how your apple is better as it shuts down from overheating while the cheap Samsung is working fine.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    All opinion subject to change without notice.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    I got $900 for them on eBay. iConnect air and refer kit, plus the dual port manometer. Paid about $1600 or maybe a little more. What a waste.

I just picked up a 2nd set of FP JL3KH6 kit for a decent deal at the local Carrier supply house. $494 + tax, couldn't pass it up. My old set still works fine, but it's nice to have a back up.

I have the manometers and the SC680. The manometers are ok, but you do need to zero them frequently. The first SC680 I bought broke the clamp within a couple weeks of use. Kinda pissed I had to pay for shipping to get a new one under warranty. The replacement has been working fine for over 6 months daily use now. I actually stopped using my Fluke 902. The whole FP system is just so much easier to use, and a streamlined app. Yeah, the app has some minor issues like disconnect and reconnect, but I can deal with them. The range is great and they almost always reconnect within a 5-10 seconds. It's just nice to have all of the information in your hand, and then be able to quickly make a pdf of all the data, what's not to like.

Unfortunately, I like my BluVac +Pros too much to switch to the new FP micron gauge. I don't know, I'll probably pick one of them up as well. I mean damn, I just bought an FP VP67 vacuum pump too. They should offer a free tool for buying a certain amount of their damn tools. Or at least their nice little mini back pack with proof of purchases.
    How long ago?

I should list mine. If I got 1/2 that Id be happy.

Got 2 each high side, low side, and a set of air probes.

Used maybe 5 times, now just sit on the van.

Probably paid about what you did. Was a bad investment for me for sure.

I dont have the patience for all the set up time and so forth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I have used a few fieldpiece tools and was satisfied with most of it. I guess I didn't fall in love with it or I would still be using it. Currently, I have a lot of friends and workmates that are very happy with what they are using. I may go that way the next time I need something. Which I would like to say should be a while, but anyone who has been at this for as long as I have knows...it won't be long before something of mine fails or something shiny catches my eye...

7. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I’ve accumulated Testo, Fieldpiece, Sporlan and Appion smart probes but still prefer my Digicool AK900s. I grabbed three new AK900’s stashed away when I found out they were stopping production. The only thing that seems to fail on the AK900 are the pipe clamp temp thermistors/wires & connectors. I just don’t like having to pull my phone out and connect all the sensors to take quick readings. I like having the dedicated screen on the tool. I can say that i use the smart probes mainly when working on RTUs or if I run into a real unusual situation where streaming real time readings is invaluable. The iManifold I purchased before they released all of the wireless zigbee probes but then couldn’t justify the cost of the entire system.

I do use the Fieldpiece joblink Hygrometer probes often for wet bulb measurements. I just hope I don’t forget to pull hygrometer probes from the ducts before I leave a job. I do wish FP made a range extender/repeater like Yellow Jacket YJacks have available. I see that Fieldpiece states that the new range is 1000’ with the updated APP but have not noticed a difference in their range.

Anyone have any experience with the new Yellow Jacket YJacks? I hope when Appion releases their new ION PT probes that they give you all the data on their small screens including SH & SC.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nytefog View Post
    Ive accumulated Testo, Fieldpiece, Sporlan and Appion smart probes but still prefer my Digicool AK900s. I grabbed three new AK900s stashed away when I found out they were stopping production. The only thing that seems to fail on the AK900 are the pipe clamp temp thermistors/wires & connectors. I just dont like having to pull my phone out and connect all the sensors to take quick readings. I like having the dedicated screen on the tool. I can say that i use the smart probes mainly when working on RTUs or if I run into a real unusual situation where streaming real time readings is invaluable. The iManifold I purchased before they released all of the wireless zigbee probes but then couldnt justify the cost of the entire system.

I do use the Fieldpiece joblink Hygrometer probes often for wet bulb measurements. I just hope I dont forget to pull hygrometer probes from the ducts before I leave a job. I do wish FP made a range extender/repeater like Yellow Jacket YJacks have available. I see that Fieldpiece states that the new range is 1000 with the updated APP but have not noticed a difference in their range.

Anyone have any experience with the new Yellow Jacket YJacks? I hope when Appion releases their new ION PT probes that they give you all the data on their small screens including SH & SC.
    I believe the 1000 ft range on the field piece probes has more to do with your device than the app.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    All opinion subject to change without notice.

Post Likes
    I rarely use my manifold/hoses anymore (Digi-cool). JL3 probes and an iPad mini is what I use now, all in a dedicated Vetp Pro tool bag. All the real time data streaming live to my tablet is just too tough to give up, and I can take the tablet with me as I go into the house, attic, whatever. Particularly nice when adjusting SH on TXVs.

11. Likes TruTech-Bill liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    I got $900 for them on eBay. iConnect air and refer kit, plus the dual port manometer. Paid about $1600 or maybe a little more. What a waste.

I just picked up a 2nd set of FP JL3KH6 kit for a decent deal at the local Carrier supply house. $494 + tax, couldn't pass it up. My old set still works fine, but it's nice to have a back up.

I have the manometers and the SC680. The manometers are ok, but you do need to zero them frequently. The first SC680 I bought broke the clamp within a couple weeks of use. Kinda pissed I had to pay for shipping to get a new one under warranty. The replacement has been working fine for over 6 months daily use now. I actually stopped using my Fluke 902. The whole FP system is just so much easier to use, and a streamlined app. Yeah, the app has some minor issues like disconnect and reconnect, but I can deal with them. The range is great and they almost always reconnect within a 5-10 seconds. It's just nice to have all of the information in your hand, and then be able to quickly make a pdf of all the data, what's not to like.

Unfortunately, I like my BluVac +Pros too much to switch to the new FP micron gauge. I don't know, I'll probably pick one of them up as well. I mean damn, I just bought an FP VP67 vacuum pump too. They should offer a free tool for buying a certain amount of their damn tools. Or at least their nice little mini back pack with proof of purchases.
    I've got an iConnect just sitting in my office. How long did it take to sell? Were there a lot of bids?

Post Likes
    I sold it about 6 months ago. It took about 2 months to sell. Had 2 “best offers”. One was decent $850, another was like $550. I declined and lowered the listing to $900 from $1100 and got a full price bid.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

14. Likes vin lashon, heatingman liked this post.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12