Thread: New home: Heat pump located below water spout

Post Likes

New home: Heat pump located below water spout

I live in Phoenix and I just purchased a new home from Toll Brothers. The home has a flat roof and after the most recent rain I came to realize that one of the heat pumps are located directly in the path of the roof water drain spouts and another is also below but offset a little.

My concern is will this placement shorten the life of the system and/or jeopardize the warranty?

I can predict that the response will be that it's better to not be in the direct path of water which is obvious; but do I have grounds to insist that the builder slide these units over and should I make an issue out of this? I know that these are designed to be outside but I don't know if they are intended to take an occasional additional heavy onslaught of water.

I'm disappointed that I didn't catch this during construction.

See picture...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    That is definitely a problem. Can the water be channeled away or something?

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

3. Likes damrell liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I could install gutters but I'm wondering if I can make a case to the builder to have them just move the units over. It appears that there is enough line to do it without extending anything. I don't like the look of gutters so I'd prefer not to.

I need to be able to make the case that this was an egregious error that will be problematic that they should be responsible for.

Post Likes
    As I see it you have 2 issues. The obvious one of water dumping into the units which would be bad especially if running although from that height if it hits a fan blade it could bend it enough to make it off balance. The other issue I see is if the water hits the ground close to the units mud can splatter into the coil which would cause them to run hotter. I would be asking the GC to do something.

6. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    It looks like you're in an arid climate? Might not be a major issue if you don't see much rain, but water runoff should be diverted away from the foundation regardless. Maybe drain spouts aren't common where you live because of low rainfall.

Post Likes
    Yes I'm in Phoenix so rain won't be frequent, but it is still an issue.

Post Likes
    Are those flush with roof or are they for "overflow".
    If they are flush with roof, why didn't the builder install downspouts?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    Are those flush with roof or are they for "overflow".
    If they are flush with roof, why didn't the builder install downspouts?
    Yes, flush with roof. Probably for cost and probably for aesthetics. Gutters will or would look like crap.

Post Likes
    What if you put a pergola type roof over them. Thinking something that would shed water but yet be open to let air flow through. I wonder if the builder would make you something that would blend into the style of the house.

Post Likes
    The builder should have never allowed it installed like that.............Period!

13. Likes vstech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    What if you put a pergola type roof over them. Thinking something that would shed water but yet be open to let air flow through. I wonder if the builder would make you something that would blend into the style of the house.
    They'll move it before they build something. I don't know what the effort is to move it but the lines appear to be long enough to slide it over a few feet, I'm sure that will be the solution.

If they won't do it I'll probably put in a gutter.

Post Likes
    Certainly needs to be moved, I don’t like to block the disconnects, but moving that unit closer to the adjacent one should be done at a minimum. But I also agree, mud splash is going to be huge on both units that are near down splash… even if moved over. I’ve lived in Px, and Tc, and sandy soil is a problem… cleaning is going to be important with those. And if hey are micro channel coils, it will not be easy to clean them.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vstech View Post
    Certainly needs to be moved, I don’t like to block the disconnects, but moving that unit closer to the adjacent one should be done at a minimum. But I also agree, mud splash is going to be huge on both units that are near down splash… even if moved over. I’ve lived in Px, and Tc, and sandy soil is a problem… cleaning is going to be important with those. And if hey are micro channel coils, it will not be easy to clean them.
    I have plans to install "splash pads" that will minimize that. That's how I discovered this because the other spouts are causing splash on the house and I realized that these were in a bad location.

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coinmls View Post
    I have plans to install "splash pads" that will minimize that. That's how I discovered this because the other spouts are causing splash on the house and I realized that these were in a bad location.
    Some 3/4" to 2" rock may blend in with the aesthetics better than a pad and hold the soil down well if you put enough of it. Some of my favorite houses to service have either a concrete slab covering the entire area around the unit or gravel. Either one is pretty effective at keeping the dirt from splashing up on the units because that is the absolute worst thing for heat transfer. Cottonwood fuzz has nothing on mud when it comes to killing units.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in