Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini split wiring issue

Post Likes

Mini split wiring issue

I installed a new mini split. Klimaire 12k btu. 120v. I believe I connected the communication wires incorrectly. The inside unit just blinked every 5-10 seconds and wouldn’t work. The outside didn’t work. I rewired the black and white wires inside and the inside unit started on and worked. The outside didn’t turn on and after about 30 seconds the gfci tripped.
    I vacuumed out the system and wired everything and screwed up on the inside wiring diagram.
    The thing is, after wiring comm wires properly the inside unit is working but the outside doesn’t want to power on and gfci trips about a minute after powering on.
    What could have happened from wiring the comm cables wrong? Anybody have this before?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Sorry, because your listed as a homeowner we can’t provide any instruction per the site rules. Please contact a service company to diagnose your issues.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_fl05 View Post
    I installed a new mini split. Klimaire 12k btu. 120v. I believe I connected the communication wires incorrectly. The inside unit just blinked every 5-10 seconds and wouldn’t work. The outside didn’t work. I rewired the black and white wires inside and the inside unit started on and worked. The outside didn’t turn on and after about 30 seconds the gfci tripped.
    I vacuumed out the system and wired everything and screwed up on the inside wiring diagram.
    The thing is, after wiring comm wires properly the inside unit is working but the outside doesn’t want to power on and gfci trips about a minute after powering on.
    What could have happened from wiring the comm cables wrong? Anybody have this before?
    The installing contractor makes or breaks the job!

Post Likes
    I guess if people can read rules it's no surprise manuals wouldn't be any different.

5. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Why is there a GFCI involved?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

7. Likes Restaurant Mech, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I’m not asking for instructions. Just wondering what can happen with miswired comm wires. If this happened to anybody before?

It can normally trip gfcis?

Post Likes
    Did you plug this unit into a wall outlet?
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

10. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I’m not asking for instructions. Just wondering what can happen with miswired comm wires. If this happened to anybody before?

It can normally trip gfcis?
    Plenty can happen. If you apply straight voltage to the comm terminal, you've likely fried the brain.
    Even on a 220 volt unit, if you just so much as get the legs backwards it won't run. Usually doesn't damage the unit but they don't work.
    And you're really unlucky applying voltage to the comm terminal, you may have a house fire.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    Did you plug this unit into a wall outlet?
    Yes I did into the garage gfci. I wired the unit up to a nema 5-15 plug and plugged it into the gfci receptacle.

Post Likes
    Funny how many times we see people not install things per code and come here asking for advice.

14. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I’m sure Klimaire tech support will tell you exactly what you need to know.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

16. Likes pecmsg liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Yes I did into the garage gfci. I wired the unit up to a nema 5-15 plug and plugged it into the gfci receptacle.
    Are you aware you didn’t install this unit to code? You don’t plug a piece of equipment into a wall outlet. Needs to be on its own circuit.

Post Likes
    Klimaire?

Geez, everybody is making disposable mini-splits these days....

Post Likes
    Yeah I think I'm gonna come out with one next week 😆

20. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Just finished this one up yesterday
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    From the service manual:

"The air conditioner must be installed by professional or qualified persons."
    "Do not try to install the conditioner alone; always contact specialized technical personnel."
    "The user is responsible for having the appliance installed by a qualified technician..."
    The appliance must be installed in accordance with applicable national regulations."

I am thinking at least more than one of these was not followed, just saying.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    I’ll have it up and running in no time. Thanks for all the help

24. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I’ll have it up and running in no time. Thanks for all the help
    Does that include fixing the code violations of the installation?

26. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    Does that include fixing the code violations of the installation?
    Adding the outside disconnect? Yes!
    I read all the wrong info. On Amazon people answered this is a DIY job if mechanically inclined bla bla bla. Went down the wrong rabbit hole. But now I got this clarified. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Adding the outside disconnect? Yes!
    I read all the wrong info. On Amazon people answered this is a DIY job if mechanically inclined bla bla bla. Went down the wrong rabbit hole. But now I got this clarified. Thanks.
    No, adding a separate dedicated circuit from your breaker panel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in