+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any real difference in oxy act regulators?

Post Likes
    If I'm watching you go back and forth between the oxy/acet, then I know you haven't been taught right.

Wait till you hear the pressures I use, been slammed by others on here, but that just shows me their limited use.

As I've said on here before, my dad bought me my own own full size oxy/acet rig when I ten years old so I would stop using his setup, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Man I wish I could have one of youall teach me because I have a real hard time understanding descriptions of flames. My way works for me at the moment but it isn't perfect.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

2. Likes R600a liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    If I'm watching you go back and forth between the oxy/acet, then I know you haven't been taught right.

Wait till you hear the pressures I use, been slammed by others on here, but that just shows me their limited use.

As I've said on here before, my dad bought me my own own full size oxy/acet rig when I ten years old so I would stop using his setup, LOL.
    I think I will start a thread on torch adjustment tomorrow and see if I can get some pictures of my flames and maybe I can make sense of you-all's descriptions.
    Since I am stuck at home I may as well learn something.

I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I think I will start a thread on torch adjustment tomorrow and see if I can get some pictures of my flames and maybe I can make sense of you-all's descriptions.
    Since I am stuck at home I may as well learn something.

Great idea. Look forward to the thread.

Why are you stuck at home? Have a tummy ache?
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post

I got covid so yeah I got a cold (Granted a bad one.) and have to stay home for 10 days.
    They just told me they're going to let me do some outdoor socially distanced work like double checking compressor diagnosis and things like that so I won't be totally stuck at home.

I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

Post Likes
    I think flame adjustment is pretty easy to explain. After initial adjustment of the regs, light your torch on acetylene only. If you see black smoke coming off the act flame increase the pressure until it's gone. When you start adding oxygen slowly, look at the flame, you'll see three seperate parts of the flame, the small inner core right at the tip, the acetylene feather in the middle, and the long outer flame. When you add oxygen, the act feather will move back toward the torch tip, and it's obvious. Keep adding oxy until the act feather comes back to the small inner core. That's a neutral flame. If you take the act feather back to a point where it's longer than the inner core, that's a reducing (or carburizing) flame, which can be useful.
    If you were to turn the oxy up so high that you take it in past the point that it matches the inner core, the core will become very pointed and loud and this is a oxidizing flame and not useful for our purposes.

Now a more advanced tip is the above adjustment with the act flame just to the point of no smoke, is the minimum pressure for that tip. If you want to find the maximum pressure you would increase the act until it leaves the torch tip, then turn it back until it just goes back to the tip. This would be the maximum pressure for this tip.
    Sometimes when searching for the max pressure you have to turn the torch way down to get the flame to go back to the tip, in this case, you would need to go up slowly and remember the point that the flame just leaves the tip and go back to it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post

Here it is.
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/threads/22...rch-adjustment

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in