Thread: TRANE HVAC Thermostat Question

Post Likes

TRANE HVAC Thermostat Question

Hi all,
    I am planning to replace my HVAC system with a Trane XR 16 and XV 80. Since I had to deal with wide temperature variations in my two level home, installer is suggesting an ecobee thermostat with remote sensor for upstairs to improve the comfort. I have two questions.
    1. Can I have any smart thermostat with the Trane system that I am buying? If so, can Nest be a better alternative than Ecobee?
    2. Is there a reason to assume that the Trane system is built to work better only with a Trane thermostat? In that case any recommendations other than XL824? It is not rated very well compared to other smart thermostats. Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.
    thanks!

2. Likes cristian9509 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    2 stories
    2 Systems

Controls wont fix bad air flow!

4. Likes Greyboy liked this post.
    Post Likes
    1. Nest is NOT a better alternative, compared to almost any other thermostat out there, much less an Ecobee. Ecobee makes good stuff. Nest is all marketing and fluff and the bane of many a HVAC tech due to all of the strange issues that they can cause.

2. If your furnace/air handler is a fancy model that is made to work with a communicating controller (which I don't think yours is), then that manufacturer's controller can be the best choice. If you don't have a communicating furnace/air handler, then almost any thermostat (except nest) will likely work just fine.

3. Using a stat that's setup with an averaging sensor can help with large temperature differences in different areas. Keeping the fan blowing all of the time can sometimes help too. Having manual dampers that can be adjusted each summer and winter can also sometimes help.

Of course none of this stuff is as good as having proper zoning controls or an extra system, but it can be alright.
    Last edited by ammoniadog; 07-25-2021 at 01:56 PM.

6. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CG6 View Post
    Hi all,
    I am planning to replace my HVAC system with a Trane XR 16 and XV 80. Since I had to deal with wide temperature variations in my two level home, installer is suggesting an ecobee thermostat with remote sensor for upstairs to improve the comfort. I have two questions.
    1. Can I have any smart thermostat with the Trane system that I am buying? If so, can Nest be a better alternative than Ecobee?
    2. Is there a reason to assume that the Trane system is built to work better only with a Trane thermostat? In that case any recommendations other than XL824? It is not rated very well compared to other smart thermostats. Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.
    thanks!
    What exactly is wrong with the XL824? It has more functionality for the system and can use wireless sensors. Those sensors can be used to average the spaces. The average of each sensor can also be a weighted percentage. The 824 can send a digital signal to better control the variable speed fan the others cannot. The 824 has a 10 year part warranty the others aren’t even close.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in