+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DAIKIN air cooled screw

Post Likes

DAIKIN air cooled screw

I’m working on a DAIKIN air cooled was chiller, circuit 1 stays in oil heat and won’t start. I replaced crank case htr, any ideas. Htr is working normal.

Post Likes
    Model number?
    Oil temp must be x*f above saturated. Liquid ref may be leaking into compressor thru injection or ecomizer.

Post Likes
    It does seem as though ref is migrating somehow because there’s a frost line or more like condensation line on the compressor. It’s roughly a 200 ton AWS air cooled chiller. It’s roughly 7 yrs old. I’ll try and post a mod#. It seems like the oil won’t reach set point to allow the compressor to start. I was able to hear the compressor with hot water and it started normally but then it sat over night and won’t come back on. Any ideas or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Post Likes
    Mod # AWS210CDHEVNN-ER10

Post Likes
    Three choices:
    1. Liquid injection solenoid
    2. Discharge check valve
    3. Liquid line solenoid/ exv

Most likely #2. If the compressor has optional service valves it will be easier to evaluate. I believe there is a ball valve in the injection line you can shut off. It is only needed in high ambient or glycol applications.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ehsx View Post
    Three choices:
    1. Liquid injection solenoid
    2. Discharge check valve
    3. Liquid line solenoid/ exv

Most likely #2. If the compressor has optional service valves it will be easier to evaluate. I believe there is a ball valve in the injection line you can shut off. It is only needed in high ambient or glycol applications.
    I appreciate your response to this issue. I’m not sure I understand why ref would migrate to or from the compressor unless it’s due to the circuit #2 running and causing a temp difference from the onboard chiller barrel. Could you please explain the migration issue? I know there is a pump down solenoid before the EEV and it does hold. It also has the economize and liquid injection into the compressor. On the liquid injection line there is a manual service valve. The initial issue with this circuit 1 was a ref leak at the discharge valve connection which has been repaired. Could it be a small ref leak causing the condensation to form on the compressor? The oil never reaches temp therefor doesn’t allow the compressor to start. I’ll try closing the liquid injection line to see if it help the oil reach it’s proper temp. This circuit was going off on a low suction alarm just prior to this oil heating issue. I thought maybe the leak wasn’t just at the discharge valve but maybe elsewhere. It’s been the roughly leak tested with electronic and soap bubbles with no luck finding a leak. I cannot recheck the charge until I can get this circuit 1 to operate.

Post Likes
    Refrigerant can migrate due to temp difference if the evap sat is lower than the condenser or pressure difference if there is any path not sealing. That would include the ecomizer solenoid.

Post Likes
    yup, refrigerant will move freely with any pressure or temp. difference, no matter how small. and it will take any path available.

you have something leaking by, allowing refrigerant to get into the compressor.....follow ESHX's advice.

Post Likes
    I just turned off the ball valve on the liquid injection line going into the compressor. I’ll start there. Thank you gor your advice. I tried to copy paste a photo of they injection line and the condensation on the compressor but I’m not sure how to post a photo on here. Thanks again for your help. I do believe your right about ref migrating to and from causing this low temp oil issue.

Post Likes

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Pumpdown the compressor and monitor the pressure. If it has compressor suction & discharge service valves use them to verify discharge check valve and liquid line solenoid/exv are seating.

Post Likes
    to post pics, download the Tapatalk app on your phone. you can easily post pics from there......but I believe, per site poilicy, you need to have a certain number of posts before you can post a pic.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in