+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Automotive HVAC - POE oil vs PAG oil

Post Likes

Automotive HVAC - POE oil vs PAG oil

Old IC engine vehicles use PAG oil.
    Electric compressors use POE oil.

Will POE oil significantly affect the performance of other AC components (evaporator, condenser, expansion valve, etc) on an old vehicle retrofitted with a battery and electric compressor?

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Not that I know of. I hear that pag oil will short out a hermetic compressor though.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Not that I know of. I hear that pag oil will short out a hermetic compressor though.

Thanks for your reply @R600a.

Yeah, that would make sense since PAG oils are conductive.

I was wondering if an evap designed with PAG oil in mind might clog up more with POE oil.

Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by unicrey View Post
    Thanks for your reply @R600a.

Yeah, that would make sense since PAG oils are conductive.

I was wondering if an evap designed with PAG oil in mind might clog up more with POE oil.
    I really truly believe that oil is oil. If it mixes with refrigerant and doesn't damage the compressor you will be just fine. I would think that you would have a hard time getting it enough of the oil out of the old system if you are retrofitting over to an electric compressor so I think you would need to replace every component. Last weekend I was trying to get all the oil out of an automotive evaporator and lets just say it didn't go very smoothly.

I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

Post Likes
    The reason for pag as I understand it, is that it doesn't go to acid if moisture is in the system like poe does.
    And if you've ever done automotive ac on a flat rate system, you'll understand that those systems NEVER get a proper vacuum

6. Likes R600a, supers_5 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I really truly believe that oil is oil. If it mixes with refrigerant and doesn't damage the compressor you will be just fine. I would think that you would have a hard time getting it enough of the oil out of the old system if you are retrofitting over to an electric compressor so I think you would need to replace every component. Last weekend I was trying to get all the oil out of an automotive evaporator and lets just say it didn't go very smoothly.

Oh Okay, thanks for the tip.

Do you have any suggestions for trying to get all the oil out? I have already got the system fitted and would like to see if I can get it running well before changing all the components.

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant mech View Post
    The reason for pag as I understand it, is that it doesn't go to acid if moisture is in the system like poe does.
    And if you've ever done automotive ac on a flat rate system, you'll understand that those systems NEVER get a proper vacuum
    Yeah... come to think of it, its weird then that POE is used with electric compressors given it absorbs moisture so much. PAG must be really bad by itself.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by unicrey View Post
    Oh Okay, thanks for the tip.

Do you have any suggestions for trying to get all the oil out? I have already got the system fitted and would like to see if I can get it running well before changing all the components.

Yeah... come to think of it, its weird then that POE is used with electric compressors given it absorbs moisture so much. PAG must be really bad by itself.
    If you come up with a way to get it out let me know. I have not got that job finished yet partly because I wasn't able to get the oil out of the evaporator.

9. Likes unicrey liked this post.
    Post Likes
    If you come up with a way to get it out let me know. I have not got that job finished yet partly because I wasn't able to get the oil out of the evaporator.

140psi at the trigger nozzle with an air compressor works on my end through larger 3/4” clear vinyl tubing to see the oil coming out into an old antifreeze container…alternating the hose..directly at the evap

You can start at a lesser pressure that’s makes you comfortable and work your way up

I’m always sure my compressor tank is drained of residual water before doing so…

11. Likes R600a, unicrey liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited1 View Post
    140psi at the trigger nozzle with an air compressor works on my end through larger 3/4” clear vinyl tubing to see the oil coming out into an old antifreeze container…alternating the hose..directly at the evap

You can start at a lesser pressure that’s makes you comfortable and work your way up

I’m always sure my compressor tank is drained of residual water before doing so…
    I use nitrogen. As long as your air is dried, it'll be ok.

13. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes

I'm going to have to pick up an air compressor one of these days.
    Mine got stolen along with my welder and yard equipment when I moved into my new house a few months ago.

Post Likes
    I'm going to have to pick up an air compressor one of these days.
    Mine got stolen along with my welder and yard equipment when I moved into my new house a few months ago.
    That’s not good! Find a pawn shop! And maybe Craigslist…..to find at least a 150psi 6 gallon size pancake one…I use that the most…the last additional one I got is a 55 gallon vertical one from an estate sale for $35.00 as it gives me more floor space in my garage..

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ake-compressor
    And
    https://www.harborfreight.com/6-gall...sor-62894.html

Post Likes
    That’s not good! Find a pawn shop! And maybe Craigslist…..to find at least a 150psi 6 gallon size pancake one…the last one I got is a 55 gallon vertical one from an estate sale for $35.00 as it gives me more floor space in my garage..

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ake-compressor
    Yeah that's exactly what I had. The cool thing about it was I got it for free because the pressure switch was defective so at least I didn't lose hard-earned money when they stole it.

Post Likes
    I photograph all my equipment including the model number and serial number and iD etch certain information underneath like my phone number and initials where no one would look typically…

Of course I have had a few stolen items over the years and got 98% back because I had that metal etched marker…but not my $650.00 large Bosch chipper/demo/rotary hammer ….
    I still randomly look for it and it was over 7 years ago, lol…I have never left behind another expensive tool on a job site in a “locked contractor area” tool room that was also in a locked job box…..

18. Likes R600a, supers_5 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I photograph all my equipment including the model number and serial number and iD etch certain information underneath like my phone number and initials where no one would look typically…

Of course I have had a few stolen items over the years and got 98% back because I had that metal etched marker…but not my $650.00 large Bosch chipper/demo/rotary hammer ….
    I still randomly look for it and it was over 7 years ago, lol…I have never left behind another expensive tool on a job site in a “locked contractor area” tool room that was also in a locked job box…..
    Same here. We never leave the more expensive stuff anywhere on the job site. We have cheap pencil engravers to make sure things don't get "mixed" up. Metal or plastic, it gets engraved. We also keep a record of serial numbers.

20. Likes Unlimited1 liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in