+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Library of Congress Historic Record

Post Likes

Library of Congress Historic Record

The first job I did a lot of design on is included in the library of congress historic engineering record. It is the Perimeter Acquisition Radar Power Plant (PARPP). There are photos but I couldn't find the mechanical design drawings. Never thought I would be part of history even anonymously.
    I did the design of the diesel engine generator installation, the tunnel, the combustion air room, the cable spreading room HVAC and the air compressor installation. I started design on it in July 1969.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes

Library of Congress Historic Record

Now thats pretty damn cool.

Doubt I’ll ever be remembered for anything special.

I Just hope that the guy that replaces equipment Ive installed looks at some of the work Ive done in my career with the same reverence that I do when I see a craft well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes WAYNE3298, GoCougs, 2sac, R600a liked this post.
    ... sitting in the Hollywood Hawaiian Hotel, listening to the air conditioner hum
    Post Likes
    I think I found the pictures, but I'm not going to post the link; I figure if you wanted to, you would have.

Its amazing, except for the control center, almost all of those pictures could be modern. I guess the physics of moving air & water, piping and pumps haven't changed any, but I was surprised to see the battery rack that looks just like a data center now, even has the always-present loose batteries sitting on the floor for some reason.

I love old sites with switchgear from the 60s, I usually don't run into anything older than that. Its beautiful, and practically functional.

I did use to do service at some pump sites on a crude oil pipeline. The sites were all modern, but some still had the old, original buildings from the 50's when the pipeline was built. Pretty, low-slung, Mid-Century Modern control centers and pump houses with jalousie windows (no AC, of course) with most of the electrical control panels and switchgear still in place, like a lingering ghost of the 50s.

The great professors of the art are not immune from the malignancy of matter and the eternal cussedness of inanimate objects.

5. Likes STEVEusaPA liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I didn't post pictures because wasn't sure there would be any interest. In this facility if the technology existed and was needed it was included. The painting cost $7,000,000 and was done two times.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Ya, but this is a picture sub-forum. We need to see them.

Otherwise you might as well just post in another place.

8. Likes R600a liked this post.
    R600a is online now Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    I didn't post pictures because wasn't sure there would be any interest. In this facility if the technology existed and was needed it was included. The painting cost $7,000,000 and was done two times.
    I am definitely interested so I'll post a link.
    Can you let me know if I got the right place.
    https://www.loc.gov/resource/hhh.nd0078.photos?st=list

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

10. Likes ksefan, BaldLoonie liked this post.
    Post Likes
    You have the right place R600a. I couldn't find photos of the engine generators on what you posted but I didn't find a lot on my own either. One thing that was interesting about this facility that the sight doesn't say much about is the spring isolation that was installed to absorb the nuclear shock wave. The 5200 horsepower diesel engines were mounted on springs that allowed the engines to move. I'm not going to get into the details but the sight mentions spring isolation so it isn't a secret.

We also designed a hardened generating facility for a private company. Unless I find it posted on the net I'm not going to say anything about it except the space was so costly none of it was wasted. We had to make a list and give it to the owner of the order of installation of every piece of equipment. If the equipment wasn't installed in that order it couldn't be installed. Lessons learned on the Safeguard project were very helpful.
    Last edited by WAYNE3298; 08-01-2021 at 07:48 AM.
    Thomas Jefferson

12. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I’ll be remembered for evacuation of several retirement homes and shutting down several processes lines
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

14. Likes R600a, WAYNE3298, Lahrs liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I looked at some of the pictures, very cool.
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in