Thread: Can residential tech fix Marine AC?

Post Likes

Can residential tech fix Marine AC?

Wasn’t sure which forum to put this in. I have a marine AC system that I believe has a bad compressor. I was told these units are just glorified window units with water cooling. I’m going to see if this unit has a capacitor, which I believe it does, and see if that is busted first. I know that on my home system the capacitor would cause the compressor not to turn on.

So, the reason I ask this is that I can get a compressor for $xxx while a whole unit is $xxxx.
    I figure melting the silver, reclaiming the r22 and putting in the new compressor should be the same if not similar to home unit no? I will of course remove it from the boat first.

Prices not allowed in forum
    Last edited by vin lashon; 07-16-2021 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Removed pricing

Post Likes
    I'm sure a residential technician could fix it. But you may have better luck with a refrigeration technician or an appliance repairman.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech

Post Likes
    Are you the tech? If so, yes.

If not, I would advise calling a company that specializes in refrigeration because they deal with more specialized equipment. You may not get a quality tech if you call a residential comfort cooling company and even if you do they charge higher rates than a commercial or refrigeration company.
    Everything Im going to say today are my conclusions and my opinions, my opinions are based on my education, my training, my experience. Different people have different experiences, so they have different opinions and I make no claim that my opinion has its origin in the mind greatness. - Paul Harrell

4. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    It's rare, but from the symptoms, I'm gonna say it's a restriction in the discombobulator valve.

Pretty much any competent residential guy could fix it, but I'd want to find out if he knows how to swim first.

I wouldn't mess with any busted capacitors, or melted silver, or demolition work.

Let your tech look at it first, and help you decide what needs fixed, or junked.

Post Likes
    Call a refrigeration contractor.

Post Likes
    I would recommend finding someone who already works on them. Is it a single unit in a <30ft boat or a system in a yacht that has one compressor and multiple head units? The marine units run a low head pressure and if you just grab a guy who doesn't know what he's doing, he'll keep throwing gas in there until "It looks good to him"
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

8. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    After digging a little deeper into the system, the control box, I found the capacitor and pow-r-pac starter to be burnt up. I can’t post pictures here but I’m wondering if this is the chicken or egg. Did the capacitor blow and melt some wires or did the compressor lock up first? I’m not even sure if the compressor can lock up. I would love for this to be a simple fix but I’m having trouble locating a 30+16uf dual round capacitor. I hate to spend $xxx to replace the whole unit when it could just be these parts.

No I’m not a tech, for the most part however I do all my own work.

Yes I did have a marine tech come and look at it and he said replace the unit, however I’m having trouble trusting someone that didn’t dig a little further to find what I found.

Also yes this is a single unit, single fan, compressor and condenser.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by HeyBob; 07-17-2021 at 11:23 AM. Reason: No Pricing Please!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbl7td View Post
    After digging a little deeper into the system, the control box, I found the capacitor and pow-r-pac starter to be burnt up. I can’t post pictures here but I’m wondering if this is the chicken or egg. Did the capacitor blow and melt some wires or did the compressor lock up first? I’m not even sure if the compressor can lock up. I would love for this to be a simple fix but I’m having trouble locating a 30+16uf dual round capacitor. I hate to spend $XXX to replace the whole unit when it could just be these parts.

No I’m not a tech, for the most part however I do all my own work.

Yes I did have a marine tech come and look at it and he said replace the unit, however I’m having trouble trusting someone that didn’t dig a little further to find what I found.

Also yes this is a single unit, single fan, compressor and condenser.

Any thoughts?
    An appliance technician should be able to get those parts easily and have no problem fixing it for you. Weird capacitor sizes are normal in appliance repair.
    Edit: A refrigeration company would be even better though.
    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    Last edited by HeyBob; 07-17-2021 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Removed Pricing in Quote

Post Likes
    Hi guys, no pricing in posts. Try and cool it on the DIY, please.

12. Likes R600a, Special-K liked this post.