Thread: Cant take the heat and humidity anymore

Post Likes

Cant take the heat and humidity anymore

I have lived in the Houston, Texas area all my life. The heat and humidity never bothered me until I had my heart attack two years ago (63). They said I have no heart damage. I drink water, Gatorade, and water with electrolytes in it. I last about 3 hours in an attic or working in my yard before I have to rest for about 2 hours. It is a good thing I am semi retired. When you cant run with the big dogs stay on the porch. I need to stay on the porch more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by leslie cook View Post
    I have lived in the Houston, Texas area all my life. The heat and humidity never bothered me until I had my heart attack two years ago (63). They said I have no heart damage. I drink water, Gatorade, and water with electrolytes in it. I last about 3 hours in an attic or working in my yard before I have to rest for about 2 hours. It is a good thing I am semi retired. When you cant run with the big dogs stay on the porch. I need to stay on the porch more.

Probably part physical and part mental. Just knowing you are semi or full retired keeps you from pushing yourself as much. I retired 4/1 and up till then still outworked most of the youngins even working at part speed.

By the way Houston summers suck far worse than here!

3. Likes ga-hvac-tech, kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I am semi-retired at 62, now 67 and did some siding today for a guy. In the sun for 4 hrs in Texas and I am totally wiped out. Fixen to take a BC powder, sucks to get old.
    Last edited by fliks; 07-16-2021 at 06:30 PM.

5. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    It is mostly physical. I still enjoy working

Post Likes
    Get you a cool shirt set up....

Post Likes

We have the same climate as you.
    I do my best not to be in attics after noon.
    For change outs I need 1 long time installed and 1 helper.
    I also enjoy service.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

9. Likes Scoobie liked this post.
    Post Likes

Just pulled this from another post....

Name:  Twilly Trailer.PNG
Views: 329
Size:  68.3 KB
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    After my Dad had his heart attic, the heat stopped bothering him like it did. I'm no so lucky, been 5 years since mine and a hot humid day (not as bad as you guys) gets me sweating something fierce.

Post Likes
    I hope to make it at least 3 more yrs which puts me at 70, then relax. I am in decent shape but abused my body when I was younger. I do pretty much anything, not just hvac so maybe Ill continue easy projects, especially inside stuff just for popcorn money and to stay busy.

Post Likes
    I have lived in the Houston, Texas area all my life. The heat and humidity never bothered me until I had my heart attack two years ago (63). They said I have no heart damage. I drink water, Gatorade, and water with electrolytes in it. I last about 3 hours in an attic or working in my yard before I have to rest for about 2 hours. It is a good thing I am semi retired. When you can’t run with the big dogs stay on the porch. I need to stay on the porch more.

Maybe you guys from Texas should start moving up north, how bout turning New York into a republican state?
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    Cut back on the Gatorade. It was designed for football players, not people who are uncomfortable in hot and humid environments.
    Read the ingredients. A little is good, but you shouldn't drink it all day. Stick to water as your primary beverage.
    The Benefits of Gatorade

Gatorade's popularity is due, at least in part, to the health benefits it provides to athletes. For starters, the sodium in Gatorade helps your body retain fluids that may have been lost during physical activity, explains the Cleveland Clinic. Moreover, the calories in Gatorade can help replace energy expended during exercise.

That said, Gatorade is best consumed after sweating a great deal from intense physical activity. Cleveland Clinic recommends drinking Gatorade in a high-temperature environment or high-intensity sport session.

A cyclist or runner who has gone long distances, for instance, might use Gatorade to replace electrolytes, says the University of Michigan. Otherwise, too much Gatorade consumption can be unhealthy, leading to weight gain and dental issues.

Teens and children should be especially wary of sports drinks, as the extra carbohydrates and electrolytes from Gatorade aren't needed. Children get plenty of nutrients from a balanced diet and extra carbohydrates and electrolytes are not necessary.

Water vs. Sports Drinks

Water has been the longstanding beverage choice when it comes to hydration. But is water a better choice than Gatorade before, during or after physical activity? The answer: yes, it generally is. The University of Michigan advises against using sports drinks to replace water, especially during meals.

Sports drinks can deliver extra, unneeded calories, says Harvard Health Publishing. Some can contain up to 150 calories, which is equal to about 10 teaspoons of sugar. Water, on the other hand, does not add calories to your diet. Rather, water keeps the body hydrated and balanced. It removes waste products, transports nutrients to cells and regulates body temperature, says Cleveland Clinic.

Unless you're performing rigorous physical activity during which you will produce a lot of sweat, you won't need the electrolytes and carbohydrates that are in Gatorade. Water is likely the best choice for anyone performing moderate to light physical activity and for children and teens in many cases.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...ents-gatorade/

For more info about electrolytes, see this article about sodium and potassium:

Potassium-to-Sodium Ratio Affects Overall Health

Part 1
    http://www.drpasswater.com/nutrition...um_sodium.html

Part 2
    http://www.drpasswater.com/nutrition...ium_Ratio.html
    Last edited by Space Racer; 07-19-2021 at 05:04 PM.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Post Likes

Try drip drop instead of Gatorade. It is available at Walgreens or on line. Unlike Gatorade it actually works. It has much less sugar which is always nice.
    I drink 2 packets a day mixed with twice as much water as it calls for.
    https://www.dripdrop.com/

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech

Post Likes
    Hey guys, you shouldn't have to suffer in the heat. If you have any appliance installation needs in Huntington Beach CA then you should go to that site and get hooked up. They did my fridge and freezer, so I'm sure they can do an HVAC system.

Post Likes
    I couldn't handle the winters in N. Ill so I moved to NM. I've measured RH as low as 0.6%.
    That's not common of course but daily usually below 30%.
    I spent a short time in Fla and don't understand why people would live in a swamp. It ain't for the money.
    I like the Keys though. Ocean breeze.

Many of the people that have to work outside will wear long sleeves and hoodies. Roofers, stucco guys etc.
    Sounds backwards but actually works.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Good information about gatoraide, I may need to switch to something else.