+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Turbo torch or mapp setup?

Post Likes

Turbo torch or mapp setup?

Just passed my 608, and beginning some work. My work is mostly all small self contained movin cool units, and some residential units.

Know how to weld, braze, fabricate already.

Have used staybrite8 with good success, so I see no reason why not to stick with it. But there will be a time I’m sure where I have to fill a gap and need to braze.

I really like the turbo torch with a little MC tank. My question is, it seems too hot for staybrite. It will overheat the tube real easy.

So, will I need to buy both a mapp and a acetylene setup or will the turbo do both well?

—john

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    If you want to actually braze then yes. You'll need acetylene.
    With enough time and patience and a high end mapp torch you can do up to 3/4 brazing with mapp gas. But it will only happen if conditions are perfect.
    And forget about brazing in a valve. That valve will be waaaay too hot by the time the job is done.
    I personally do plumbing soldering with acetylene all the time. Yes you CAN get it too hot. But with care even oxy acetylene works well for soldering

3. Likes R600a, baby b, Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    MAPP ? Mapp torch setup? What is that? Mapp has not been around for years as far as I know.

With ANY torch it is easy enough to overheat and burn the crap out of what you are heating up. You have to be proficient enough to control the heat enough to make a nice proper connection. What have you welded? Soldering is 840*F and lower, brazing is above 840*F, and in 52 years of doing HVACR I have never welded.

5. Likes baby b liked this post.
    Post Likes
    If you plan on using stay brite 8 for most stuff , then just buy a Turbo

You can still braze with it up to 7/8 , it just takes a bit longer to heat up than a nice little oxy torch setup

Get the big tip and the small tip

7. Likes baby b, Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    MAPP ? Mapp torch setup? What is that? Mapp has not been around for years as far as I know.

With ANY torch it is easy enough to overheat and burn the crap out of what you are heating up. You have to be proficient enough to control the heat enough to make a nice proper connection. What have you welded? Soldering is 840*F and lower, brazing is above 840*F, and in 52 years of doing HVACR I have never welded.
    MAPP is still around. I remember hearing of MAPP not being produced in Canada about 4 years ago or so. But then I saw some at HD. I liked it because it was hotter than propane.
    For the OP, I carried MAPP for plumbing stuff, a Turbo torch set up for acetylene, and an oxy/act set. The oxy/act was my go to because of it was easier to control the heat. I also occasionally needed to weld something. The MAPP doubled if I had to use the ol' way of leak detecting. Never know when those new fangled leak detectors will die on ya.
    You can never have too many torches.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    MAPP is still around. I remember hearing of MAPP not being produced in Canada about 4 years ago or so. But then I saw some at HD. I liked it because it was hotter than propane.
    For the OP, I carried MAPP for plumbing stuff, a Turbo torch set up for acetylene, and an oxy/act set. The oxy/act was my go to because of it was easier to control the heat. I also occasionally needed to weld something. The MAPP doubled if I had to use the ol' way of leak detecting. Never know when those new fangled leak detectors will die on ya.
    You can never have too many torches.
    Thanks for the heads up.

I did some checking. The original MAPP Gas stopped production in 2008. The "newer MAPP " of today is not the same as the original MAPP, different formula.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant mech View Post
    If you want to actually braze then yes. You'll need acetylene.
    With enough time and patience and a high end mapp torch you can do up to 3/4 brazing with mapp gas. But it will only happen if conditions are perfect.
    And forget about brazing in a valve. That valve will be waaaay too hot by the time the job is done.
    I personally do plumbing soldering with acetylene all the time. Yes you CAN get it too hot. But with care even oxy acetylene works well for soldering
    this. i was taught years ago when i got in this trade to braze/solder with oxy/ac, i cant do without. tried some water pipe soldering at my house last weekend and used the butane bottle, but not for long. plus its quieter.

Post Likes
    If you come across a bottle with two P's grab it and run.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Had one of those years ago. Works decent, but buying the tanks will break you. All they are good for is the occasional joint where you don't want to drag a heavy setup to.

Invest in a real torch. Personally, I prefer a TurboTorch for general brazing. Faster overall and more economical. I also kept an oxy torch for when I needed pinpoint heat. Others prefer an oxy rig. Use what you are comfortable with.

Post Likes
    Yeah I like humping one bottle.
    If I'm going over 1 &1/8 I grab the second bottle

14. Likes Special-K liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I also think you get fewer leaks with a TurboTorch. The brazing rod flows better due to the larger area being heated.

16. Likes VTP99, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Mapp gas can be used to braze as long as there clearance around the pipe. Mapp gas is awesome with staybrite8. Most of the refrigeration work I do will be with staybrite8. I never got into using a turbo torch even though I had a nice setup for turbo torch. I got a oxy/ace rig for everything else. I just see if staybrite8 can work in my piping situation I just use the staybrite8 as its faster. Any odd piping I do where there's some gaps then comes out the oxy/ace rig.
    wHen I diE I hOpe gOd haS mErcy oN my SiNful LifE

18. Likes Special-K liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    Thanks for the heads up.

I did some checking. The original MAPP Gas stopped production in 2008. The "newer MAPP " of today is not the same as the original MAPP, different formula.
    Could be different. Wonder why they quit. It smells the same and is still hotter. My main use is starting BBQ coals that are stubborn or my fireplace.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Could be different. Wonder why they quit.
    I read that they quit producing it because their factory was damaged and there was not enough demand so they just quit production instead of fixing the factory.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Let just say the attorneys put the end to it.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Thanks for the help guys, i wound up buying both:

1. Turbotorch Map/propane setup (Made by turbo torch but not a "turbo torch" that mixes air). Works good for staybrite 8. Very small and portable.

2. Turbotorch Acelitine with a MC tank for brazing. Man this sucker is impressive. First braze, super easy...just like using the solder. Works very well.

This way i have 2 setups, and can switch depending what im working on. I can use the map one for when i have to do occasional non-hvac stuff at home or such. Figured its best to have both. Cost me around 500 for both setups complete.

Wondering, can i braze steel or aluminum tube with the turbo torch? I cant see why not.....anyone suggest what brazing rods to use for steel-to-steel or alum-to-alum? I figure i can use it on my off-road tuck for the cooling tubes.

--John

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in