+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fieldpiece's new MG44 micron vacuum gauge

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vin lashon View Post
    For the price I posted? When did you order it?

They called and left a voice message for me. The lady said that it was miss-priced. They will honor the price for this one but, If I want another one it is $360. I got an email yesterday saying that it will on the 26th. and correction I ordered it on the 9th
    -Marty

2. Likes vin lashon liked this post.
    Post Likes
    My BluVac came in last week. I love using it with the app. Pulled a vacuum today and ran both the leak and decay test. All worked great and the app makes it worthwhile. Kudos to TEquipment.com...even though the price was a mistake, they filled the order without complaint even though they weren't legally bound.

4. Likes Zamoramax, mgenius33 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    My BluVac came in last week. I love using it with the app. Pulled a vacuum today and ran both the leak and decay test. All worked great and the app makes it worthwhile. Kudos to TEquipment.com...even though the price was a mistake, they filled the order without complaint even though they weren't legally bound.
    Buy it off ya for 200. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

6. Likes R600a, vin lashon liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by channellxbob View Post
    I needed a new second vacuum gauge for some work we're doing right now and noticed FP came out with a JL vacuum gauge, so I ordeed one and it arrived today.
    Now, I should say, I'm a died in the wool Bluvac user, to me nothing else comes close..... or does it?
    I hooked up the gauge to a vac'd out recovery tank and it gave a stabilized reading in less than 20 seconds or so. The BV took a couple of minutes to reach what was close to the same reading. My BV is a couple of years old, seen a good bit of use and probably wouldn't hurt to be calibrated even though it says good. So I'll calibrate it and see if the readings are the same. I got the two gauges within 100 microns of each other consistently. I trust the FP is calibrated from the factory, so I'll have to lean to it being more accurate at the moment, even though 100 microns is not a huge difference in real world pressure/vacuum. As a side note I used to have a Testo 557 that read within just a few microns of my then new BV, less than 20 microns difference when measuring the same ports. It's hard to compare readings as you all know, different points will give different readings. The FP graphical indicators are very nice and much more useful than the array of things available on the BV, even though the BV is interesting. You lose the decay test on the FP, which I do use on the BV, it's pretty handy to get the "good to go" in a few seconds instead of waiting for the entire decay test time. I've given it some thought and I usually am doing other things while waiting for the vacuum decay, so it's not a big loss, but noteworthy. The FP locks onto a steady reading much faster than the BV, but as I said I'll have to calibrate the BV and see if things change as to the 100 micron difference. Wireless range is very good. I didn't check the full 1000 yards they advertise, which I highly doubt, but 2-300 is easily obtained in my yard. As we all know, the BV BT range is horrible, but it is a previous version of BT, so it's to be expected, just as the first gen Testo probes.
    One note on the FP, the literature for it says it measures from 50-25,000 microns, but it read down into the twenties when hooked directly to my vacuum pump??? Virtually the same reading I get with the BV. Also, it does indicate on the bar graph from atmospheric pressure to 25,000 when the digital display comes to life and the bar keeps going after 25,000, just as the BV.
    I know it's subjective, but the BV has always felt delicate to me, and I've taken good care of it. The FP seems absolutely rugged, like a tank, we'll see about that as it gets used.
    All in all, the first look is very good indeed. I think BV has some stiff competition. If you're looking for a micron vacuum gauge, I highly recommend you give the FP a look.
    It's been almost a month. What do you think of it now?

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    I don’t think anything compares to BluVac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes R600a, vin lashon liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    It's been almost a month. What do you think of it now?

I've been using it on every job right along with the BV and although the readings seem slightly different (from different points on the sys), the FP works very well. I like the much longer BT range and I can monitor progress without having to go to the unit, which is a real time saver.
    I admit that one time I had trouble with vacuum stalling and could find no good reason. I switched to the BV and it went right down no problem. Now I can't say for sure what happened, and it hasn't happened since, so I can't really blame it on the FP.
    All in all it is a good purchase.
    I'm confident enough to use it alone on the job.

11. Likes R600a liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    I've been using it on every job right along with the BV and although the readings seem slightly different (from different points on the sys), the FP works very well. I like the much longer BT range and I can monitor progress without having to go to the unit, which is a real time saver.
    I admit that one time I had trouble with vacuum stalling and could find no good reason. I switched to the BV and it went right down no problem. Now I can't say for sure what happened, and it hasn't happened since, so I can't really blame it on the FP.
    All in all it is a good purchase.
    I'm confident enough to use it alone on the job.
    Nice that's good to know. I love my blu vac but it's good to know there are other options out there.

I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

13. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I notice the price is no longer listed for the BV, it sure looks like it was a misprint. They're probably reputable and will honor the mistake, but I bet the next listing will be priced correctly. Everybody makes a mistake now and then. I still say this could foretell and new model in the pipeline,
    There is no way that I would purchase one at that price knowing that it was a mistake.

I am really surprised that anyone else on this forum would buy one at the wrong price.

Yawl should be ashamed of yourselves.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Post Likes
    H.M.H.I.S.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    I can't even find a YouTube channel of mine anymore but there was a video showing what I was talking about earlier.
    The SMAN gauge would settle into a range and park it there showing a good stable reading when actually it was not.
    It's not something you could tell from a pic. Like I was saying about the broken clock being right twice a day. The reading will cross at some point.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ItF...nel=itsiceman2

17. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    After a lot of use, I still think it's a good micron gauge. I've done enough side by side with the BV to come to some conclusions.
    First, I'll say right off, I like the BV's ability to show continuing drop in vacuum. The FP is just a bit coarser, not bad, but not as fine as the BV and when you're wondering if it's going down or you have a leak, or moisture, it's nice to see it dropping steadily. Now the FP does have the progress indicator, and it works well, but I still like the BV better. The good news here is that although the gauge itself has coarse resolution in the above 3000 range, the app is much finer resolution, similar to the BV, so it's a wash really.
    Second, as far as accuracy, or I should say consistency between the two, I've found that the FP is roughly a thousand microns off from the BV in the 4000 micron range, but you have to also remember that in that range the FP only reads to (either 1000 or 500 microns on the gauge, can't remember which), but there's still a difference. At 2000 microns on the BV the FP is off around 125 microns, and by 1500 microns, the FP is dead even with the BV. Around 1000 microns down to 70 microns, there's never more than 25 microns difference. So, I'd say that the FP is accurate, especially in the range that counts.
    The bluetooth range is pretty incredible on the FP. I keep thinking there will be an upgraded BV that also has extended range, but not yet. It's really good to be vac'ing a sys and finishing up wiring, sealing ducts, doing drain work etc, and no matter where you are you can see the progress.
    I've used the FP quite a bit now and never questioned it's readings other than the one time I mentioned above. It has been rock solid. To my mind, readings above 4000 microns are just for the information of whether vacuum is rising or falling, the actual number means little. From 3000 microns down, the "moisture range" it is important to tell if the sys is wet. Then, the low range of 700 microns and down, you need to have pretty accurate readings to actually tell when you gotten and held below 500 microns or less. For that kind of work the FP fills the bill well. The FP also does graphing in the app and you can readily see the holding vacuum rising and if it's moisture or a leak.
    I think it's a really good gauge, and a huge step up from FP's previous vacuum gauge.

19. Likes Zamoramax, JayMan7, Andr liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in