Thread: Amperage usage for Multi Stage Compressors

Post Likes

Amperage usage for Multi Stage Compressors

I am trying to get accurate amperage usage for a dual stage heat pump compressor. I know that the compressor staging is 70%/100% for stage1/stage 2, and the the nameplate indicates a single RL of 15.3 amp.

I just want to verify that the compressors amperage consumption for the stages is simple as 70%/100% of 15.3amp. Or does it not calculate out this nicely?

Post Likes
    That's not how it works. Ambient temperature and load along with many other factors affect amps draw.
    It's more like a sliding scale with the 2 numbers you posted as the maximum numbers.
    Just figure that high stage is X. And low stage is 66%of X.
    You don't squat with your spurs on.
    And you NEVER put the torches away before pressure testing.

Post Likes
    ah, makes sense. That actually makes my numbers even better if the compressor is averaging somewhere less than RL.

Heck, if I assume a 24 hour HP runtime (includes the outdoor fan draw) at an average of 70%, the electric cost equates to 6.4 hours of a pure 10kW heat bank. It really is surprising then why people lock out their HP's in the 30's when the HP is maybe only running 10-15hr/day.

Post Likes
    Yes I'm not much of a fan of locking out a heat pump until you hit the mid 20s.
    We have fairly cheap natural gas here and the economic balance based on 95% gas furnace is actually 20 degrees.
    My own place has only electric so I run the heat pump to about 5 degrees.
    You don't squat with your spurs on.
    And you NEVER put the torches away before pressure testing.

5. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    A couple more very important notes : If you are going to lock out your HP during a cold spell make sure you have a working HP crank case heater. Defiantly a good way to a shortened life span of the compressor .

Post Likes
    As it gets colder outside, a heat pump compressor will draw less amps. It will also provide less heat. Theoretically, a compressor running in low stage on a warm day might draw the same amount of amps or more than it would if it were in high stage on a really cold day.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    You can try to calculate till the cows come home, and, you might come close...... or likely not.

Why not install a couple data loggers and capture real time operating conditions?

Simple, cheap, and accurate.