+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking at the new FP VP67 vacuum pump

Post Likes

Looking at the new FP VP67 vacuum pump

Does anyone have this model? I know it’s not the VS motor, but for residential adding that technology seems to be just another thing that can fail.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    Should be getting my new VP67 in a day or 2. Shipped from TTT. I guess I’ll answer my own post here in a couple weeks.

Post Likes
    Should be getting my new VP67 in a day or 2. Shipped from TTT. I guess I’ll answer my own post here in a couple weeks.
    I have a JB Platinum 5cfm, and a JB economy 6cfm to compare it to.
    The economy one still works fine. I replaced the reed valves in the Platinum, but feel like it’s not what it used to be. I was debating a cartridge change, but saw the VP67 and thought it was time to upgrade to the quick change oil design.

4. Likes TruTech-Bill liked this post.
    Post Likes
    So far so good.
    I thought it would be lighter, but it’s the same as my JB 6cfm 31# with oil.
    I do like the stability though.
    I also like the front ports, which are angled at ~45°, making it pretty easy to screw on the hoses.
    The easy change oil set up is awesome.
    Once you get past the ballast stage, this thing is extremely quiet for a vacuum pump.
    It pulls a vacuum pretty fast, as I had expected.
    So, is it worth $399? Yeah, I’m definitely happy with it, and will retire my JB’s as back ups, but I just hope it lasts. Nothing gives me any indication it won’t though. It seems pretty durable.

6. Likes dieseldude, TruTech-Bill liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Send me the platinum, I’ll hot rod it to 10 cfm like my other 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Well, I’ve used it several times now, and it still does well, but it seems to have gotten a bit louder at times. Used to be whisper quiet. Now, not so much. Still not as loud as the old JB, but not as quiet as it was on first use.

10. Likes R600a liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    Still not as loud as the old JB, but not as quiet as it was on first use.
    One more strike against it. I need to hear if it gets unplugged while I am working inside.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    I keep thinking someone will come up with a better vacuum pump, but it never really happens. I mean, they suck, that's about it. Yeah, the oil change thing is cool, but not a big deal. I use core tools, so it's no big deal to valve off the system, change the oil and restart the pump and open the valves. When the TEZ8 came out everyone bragged about it and our local trade school had some given to them, one of which I borrowed and used a bit, but it was nothing special in my book. Add to that, the TEZ was something like $1k, and no way was it worth that kind of money. I've been using a Super Evac 4cfm for most of the last six years and have not had any real problems to speak of. All of my guys have JB Eliminators and so far they work just the same as my YJ,
    It's been written on here several times and it's soooo true, ... it's better to spend the money on the hoses and crt's than the pump. I normally use short 3/8" hoses for evac, but recently bought a set of 1/2" hoses and am trying to see how much real world difference they make. So far I like em, but the difference is not real great, but is noticeable.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by channellxbob View Post
    I keep thinking someone will come up with a better vacuum pump, but it never really happens. I mean, they suck, that's about it. Yeah, the oil change thing is cool, but not a big deal. I use core tools, so it's no big deal to valve off the system, change the oil and restart the pump and open the valves. When the TEZ8 came out everyone bragged about it and our local trade school had some given to them, one of which I borrowed and used a bit, but it was nothing special in my book. Add to that, the TEZ was something like $1k, and no way was it worth that kind of money. I've been using a Super Evac 4cfm for most of the last six years and have not had any real problems to speak of. All of my guys have JB Eliminators and so far they work just the same as my YJ,
    It's been written on here several times and it's soooo true, ... it's better to spend the money on the hoses and crt's than the pump. I normally use short 3/8" hoses for evac, but recently bought a set of 1/2" hoses and am trying to see how much real world difference they make. So far I like em, but the difference is not real great, but is noticeable.
    I thought the same thing about the quick change oil, but now that I have it, it’s kind like going from analog gauges to digital. At first I thought ehh no big deal to read the saturation temps and calculate in my head. Now, I wouldn’t even think about going back to analog.

Oil changes in my JB are a PITA compared to the new FP. Price wise, the FP VP67 is cheaper too. I just hope it will last like the JB.

The other thing I found was the hoses are somehow easier to connect with them all being in line and at a ~45° angle. Can’t really explain why, just feels that way to me. The tree on my JB had me wrestling with the 1/2” hoses at times. Also, the Eliminator series I don’t believe has any oil back flow prevention. The Platinum has the ball valve, but the FP has it built in check to help prevent oil back flow. Yeah, you could add 3/8” ball valves, but that’s more expense, greater potential for leaks in the rig, and more restriction.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    I thought the same thing about the quick change oil, but now that I have it, it’s kind like going from analog gauges to digital. At first I thought ehh no big deal to read the saturation temps and calculate in my head. Now, I wouldn’t even think about going back to analog.

Oil changes in my JB are a PITA compared to the new FP. Price wise, the FP VP67 is cheaper too. I just hope it will last like the JB.

The other thing I found was the hoses are somehow easier to connect with them all being in line and at a ~45° angle. Can’t really explain why, just feels that way to me. The tree on my JB had me wrestling with the 1/2” hoses at times. Also, the Eliminator series I don’t believe has any oil back flow prevention. The Platinum has the ball valve, but the FP has it built in check to help prevent oil back flow. Yeah, you could add 3/8” ball valves, but that’s more expense, greater potential for leaks in the rig, and more restriction.
    The platinum and eliminator series has a little ball check internally. But I only have platinum series pumps.

I had the FP pump as soon as it was offered. Was excited about it, and it seemed to do well. Week or 2 later, just would not pull worth a damn.

Lucky I still had my JB pumps on the truck.

Pulled it down in no time.

Tore the FP pump down at home after that and found the internal vacuum manifold rail had a leaking O-ring. Just a friction fit seal. Pulled it apart and applied vacuum grease, and it was fine again.

Maybe they fixed/improved on that issue, or maybe it was isolated to my pump. Not sure, but I sold it shortly after that.

The other issue I did not like was that by comparison, it was huge. Can fit 2 JB pumps in the same shelf space as one FP.

That was a major factor in the decision to sell for me also.

The other advantage is that repair parts are readily available for the JB pumps.

15. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    The platinum and eliminator series has a little ball check internally. But I only have platinum series pumps.

I had the FP pump as soon as it was offered. Was excited about it, and it seemed to do well. Week or 2 later, just would not pull worth a damn.

Lucky I still had my JB pumps on the truck.

Pulled it down in no time.

Tore the FP pump down at home after that and found the internal vacuum manifold rail had a leaking O-ring. Just a friction fit seal. Pulled it apart and applied vacuum grease, and it was fine again.

Maybe they fixed/improved on that issue, or maybe it was isolated to my pump. Not sure, but I sold it shortly after that.

The other issue I did not like was that by comparison, it was huge. Can fit 2 JB pumps in the same shelf space as one FP.

That was a major factor in the decision to sell for me also.

The other advantage is that repair parts are readily available for the JB pumps.

Yeah, I'm definitely not getting rid of my JB's.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in