Thread: Daikin question

Post Likes

Daikin question

New Member here! I plan on upgrading my 15 year old, 5 ton central air system, with a new 5 ton Daikin DX20VC. Along with upgrading the a/c system, I'll be adding a cathedral ceiling in the main room that will add approximately another 500 sq ft. Is it possible to have a 4 ton coil for the front of the house, approximately 2300 sq ft, and a 2 ton coil for the bedroom side of the house, approximately 1000 sq ft? I had a Daikin commercial rep tell me this was possible with the DX20VC unit as long as the air handlers and coils also were variable speed. Anyone familiar with this setup? Thank you in advance

Post Likes
    You need to start with a proper load calculation to determine proper system size.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

3. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Sounds like your guessing at the size?
    Try getting a manual “J” and sizing it properly.

5. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Somehow I can't imagine Daikin approving of such a thing, even if it can be wired and work right.

Post Likes
    So your blowers are going to constantly run, and blow cold air in the addition space even when it's not needed?

I think that your Daikin rep has no idea what he's talking about, or doesn't understand what you want, or the consequences of what your trying to do.

No. It won't work. Even if it technically functions, you won't be comfortable.

Even if your doing 1 furnace, 2 coils, that still wouldn't make sense. Just use 1 coil

Post Likes
    What? I think there must be some sort of misunderstanding here.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lsuby2 View Post
    New Member here! I plan on upgrading my 15 year old, 5 ton central air system, with a new 5 ton Daikin DX20VC. Along with upgrading the a/c system, I'll be adding a cathedral ceiling in the main room that will add approximately another 500 sq ft. Is it possible to have a 4 ton coil for the front of the house, approximately 2300 sq ft, and a 2 ton coil for the bedroom side of the house, approximately 1000 sq ft? I had a Daikin commercial rep tell me this was possible with the DX20VC unit as long as the air handlers and coils also were variable speed. Anyone familiar with this setup? Thank you in advance
    DEFINITION of the overall BUILDING THERMAL ENVELOPE
    would a Starting Point

1. ZIP _ _ _ _ _
    2. Construction Details
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in