+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Strange leak. P.I.T.A. To fix

Post Likes

Strange leak. P.I.T.A. To fix

Old, small grocery store. Low temp rack low on charge. Walked to store with my leak detector and it goes nuts in the walk-in freezer. Narrowed down to the evap coil that’s leaking, pulled panel on end with TXV and start checking with bubbles… no leaks. Check all joints, no leaks. Thought I heard gas escaping, but couldn’t narrow it down so I got a young employee and borrowed his ears. He says it’s coming from the fins in the back. He takes a Sharpie and circles the area for me.

I start pulling the aluminum fins out, and this is what I find.

Name:  E105621E-86D8-40B0-84F9-A00FBF03BF56.jpeg
Views: 783
Size:  2.81 MBName:  E105621E-86D8-40B0-84F9-A00FBF03BF56.jpeg
Size:  2.81 MB

Only this one tube, and only in this one evaperator. I’m guessing that at some point in its life, a buildup of ice caused this damage, what do you think? Anyone else ever run into this?
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

Post Likes
    Oh yeah… The fix
    Attached Images Attached Images  

3. Likes dieseldude, R600a, Turtleman, WT70, vin lashon liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Repeated freeze ups crushed the tubing.

5. Likes dieseldude, BALloyd, GoCougs, kdean1 liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    That's an odd one.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Repeated freeze ups crushed the tubing.
    What he said. Inadequate defrost cycles.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ehsx View Post
    What he said. Inadequate defrost cycles.
    X3....what they both said.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    It could have been ice. I can't imagine how an outside force could damage that tube and leave the tube beneath it unscathed??

Poodle Head Mikey is online now Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Yes. It was ice. Pump down and isolate the evap, cut back the fins to find round tubing and add two 90's, two street 90ş, and a short length of tubing to replace the flattened areas.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisRefrig View Post
    Old, small grocery store. Low temp rack low on charge. Walked to store with my leak detector and it goes nuts in the walk-in freezer. Narrowed down to the evap coil that’s leaking, pulled panel on end with TXV and start checking with bubbles… no leaks. Check all joints, no leaks. Thought I heard gas escaping, but couldn’t narrow it down so I got a young employee and borrowed his ears. He says it’s coming from the fins in the back. He takes a Sharpie and circles the area for me.

I start pulling the aluminum fins out, and this is what I find.

Name:  E105621E-86D8-40B0-84F9-A00FBF03BF56.jpeg
Size:  2.81 MBName:  E105621E-86D8-40B0-84F9-A00FBF03BF56.jpeg
Size:  2.81 MB

Only this one tube, and only in this one evaperator. I’m guessing that at some point in its life, a buildup of ice caused this damage, what do you think? Anyone else ever run into this?
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Poodle Head Mikey is online now Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes
    Oh. That is not what I would have done. How many passes were disabled by this repair?

PHM
    -------

Oh yeah… The fix
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    I have always puzzled about that - it doesn't seem that ice could 'crush' by encircling. It seems like it would have to be reacting Against something in order to push inward. But if that was the case - how come the other thing isn't also crushed? <g>

The coils that do this seem to have had the fins clogged in the area of the crushing. Sometimes a piece of paper that remains stuck to the coil. I project that maybe a clump of residual ice clamps to the fins so tightly that that ice itself becomes the 'backstop' for the inward-crushing ice's force.

But I'm not really sure - I just pondered the 'why' of it at times.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Str8Texan View Post
    It could have been ice. I can't imagine how an outside force could damage that tube and leave the tube beneath it unscathed??
    PHM
    --------

13. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I disabled 3 passes. There are three evap coils. I wasn’t confident I could braze an ell so close to the end plate with tubing that was still out of round.

Post Likes
    You're a good man Gen. But you must always strictly discipline yourself to avoid over-caution. It is a weakness that must be beaten back. Stop doubting yourself.

PHM
    --------

I disabled 3 passes. There are three evap coils. I wasn’t confident I could braze an ell so close to the end plate with tubing that was still out of round.
    PHM
    --------

16. Likes R600a, davejohnsonnola liked this post.
    Post Likes
    LOL

18. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    This one brings up some memories for me. As a kid (15 or so) I used to work on hundreds of GE ptac units in the shop that were in warranty. They were heat pumps for hotel rooms. Some of the early ones-zoneline 4000's and 5000's - I think didn't have a drain valve in the pan for condensation draining. Water stood in the pan and then froze collapsing the bottom 2 ir 3 rows of outdoor coil tubing exactly like this. My fix was pulling the return bends and the tubes and then sliding in some new 5/16 tubing and reinstalling the return bends. If you were careful the return bends could be reused, otherwise I'd pull a few off scrappers to be reused. I may indirectly be responsible for the invention of the thermostatic drain valves they use today. I charged many thousands of $ to GE for warranty work over that and other problems!

Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Out in the cold View Post
    This one brings up some memories for me. As a kid (15 or so) I used to work on hundreds of GE ptac units in the shop that were in warranty. They were heat pumps for hotel rooms. Some of the early ones-zoneline 4000's and 5000's - I think didn't have a drain valve in the pan for condensation draining. Water stood in the pan and then froze collapsing the bottom 2 ir 3 rows of outdoor coil tubing exactly like this. My fix was pulling the return bends and the tubes and then sliding in some new 5/16 tubing and reinstalling the return bends. If you were careful the return bends could be reused, otherwise I'd pull a few off scrappers to be reused. I may indirectly be responsible for the invention of the thermostatic drain valves they use today. I charged many thousands of $ to GE for warranty work over that and other problems!
    I'm pretty sure Amana heat pump PTAC units shut off below 35° or something like that. I wonder if that's to help prevent too much problems with ice?

I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

Post Likes
    It actually didnt matter if it ran or not. Once water was in the pan from running in a warmer ambient it froze as soon as the temperature dropped a couple days later. No time to evaporate.

22. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Out in the cold View Post
    It actually didnt matter if it ran or not. Once water was in the pan from running in a warmer ambient it froze as soon as the temperature dropped a couple days later. No time to evaporate.
    I didn't think about that.

Post Likes
    I repair that type of failure with soft copper slightly largerand a install a Swede in the ends to pitch to size and weld it up.

Had to do it on many a condenser.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    You're a good man Gen. But you must always strictly discipline yourself to avoid over-caution. It is a weakness that must be beaten back. Stop doubting yourself.

PHM
    --------
    X2 & X3

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in