Thread: Mitsubishi installer recommending single zone heat pumps only - thoughts?

Post Likes

Mitsubishi installer recommending single zone heat pumps only - thoughts?

Hi Forum,

I just had a very well-reviewed Mitsubishi installer visit my home to quote a whole home air source heat pump install. The contractor is an Elite Diamond Contractor for Mitsubishi.

The estimator stated that they only install single zone systems. I have 8 rooms in my home, meaning 8 condensers for this style of install! The estimator indicated that they do this to achieve higher efficiency, and for reliability and serviceability. The estimator also indicated that they do not install cassette units due to condensation and serviceability problems. In one area of my home I hoped to use a cassette unit due to ceiling height and wall limitations.

I was surprised by these limitations from a well-reviewed and experienced Mitsubishi installer. In my prior experience I have never heard of this approach.

Thoughts? Are the efficiency and serviceability benefits worth the additional install complexity (and perhaps cost?), and aesthetic downside (8 outdoor units off house)?

Thanks!

Post Likes
    It certainly is easier to service, offers a lot more redundancy if something goes wrong, and offers more control over your comfort, but the draw back obviously is your house looks like something from Hong Kong and uses a lot of space in the panel box. Ceiling cassettes are recommended in areas where you have adequate access to the entire unit and drain line (i.e. a drop ceiling). I would not recommend stuffing one in a sheetrock ceiling with a short attic above.

Say you have four indoor units connected to one outdoor unit (4x1) and you have a refrigerant leak. You have about 20+ field joints on that system to inspect, not including the components. This can be very expensive from a labor perspective to find a single leak. If you have a 1x1 with a leak, there's about 4 connections and the tech only has to focus on that one system and much easier to manage.

From a comfort perspective, you also have more control with 1x1 systems because contrary to what the customer believes, you cannot fully control the temperature in one room. Outdoor units have a minimum operating capacity, meaning if you have a 48,000 BTU outdoor unit and only an 8,000 BTU air handler is calling for cooling, the system cannot operate at that low of a capacity, so it will force other units on to divert excess cooling/heating. This will cause other rooms to overcool or overheat.

If money is no object and you want cutting-edge efficiency and control, you can go the route of having a VRF system installed. It doesn't solve the problem of having a complex system, if that's a concern for you, but they are more versatile because they can simultaneously heat and cool multiple zones.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the input, appreciated. Mental recalibration for me to think about many single zone systems. Different from my expectations -- but I do see the benefits. Followed-up w the contractor about doing the one ceiling cassette, as this is my strong preference for that one space, and there is room in the attic.

As an aside, we have a city multi unit at my workplace in a light industrial environment and it has been a challenge to service when issues arise, and they have.

Post Likes
    How is your home laid out?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlerberts-Protege View Post
    How is your home laid out?
    The original structure is stone and built in the 30s. Property is on hillside so house covers a pretty big grade change, about 10 feet. It has had 2 significant additions over the years. Today it is laid out essentially as a 'U'. Each of 3 sides of 'U' is a different level. Left piece of 'U' is bedroom wing. Highest level. Bottom piece of 'U' living room. Mid level. Right piece of 'U' kitchen/dining/laundry. Lowest level (though has an upstairs portion (office) that connects to living room).

Plan is to put condensers outside bedroom wing, there will be some longer line sets to kitchen/dining side of house but not more than 50 feet or so.

My thought is that at least the bedroom wing is easy enough for a multizone as each of the 3 bedrooms has a short line set to condenser. This would eliminate some clutter outside and in general we'll always have the bedrooms set to similar temps. That side of the house is always a similar ambient temp. Lower level is always cooler, though damper from crawl space (note - I am air sealing and insulating the crawl space in July).

Thoughts?

Post Likes
    Ridiculous....

Just call someone else. When they want to do single zones like that they don't understand the technology. Ive seen it said here in the forums too.

If the home has restrictions on how refrigerant lines are ran, such as no crawl space and no attic. Or it has multiple levels, than we may put in a few systems. but a single zone for each room is outrageous

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in