Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fans in ductwork with long range heat sensors?

Post Likes

Fans in ductwork with long range heat sensors?

Im going to have some duct-work that's probably somewhere around 15 ft long (In an L shape run). The majority of this duct work will run along the OUTSIDE of a room in the basement. With the final stretch going into the room. The ducts themselves will likely be 5 or 6" in diameter.

Im looking to add a few fans, in the duct, along the run to help get/keep the air moving in the right direction needed. But i do not need them running all the time. I only need them to turn on and off when the temperature reaches specific temps INSIDE the room. - So fans in the duct work that are OUTSIDE the room, that need to turn on/off based on temps INSIDE the room.

Iv saw a few fans (months ago) that looked like they had a temp gauge feature for on/off but they looked like they would only take the temp right where the fan was. I need ones that would be able to read temps a few feet away.

Are there any products that would work for this scenario? It doesn't need to be some super expensive tech type piece. Just a fan to help with air flow that turns on/off by temp.

Post Likes
    Fans to help keep the air moving in the right direction?

What are you building?

3. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    damn system not letting me post the images needed to explain that..

Post Likes
    rather annoying.. hopefully this is #7

6. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgang953 View Post
    damn system not letting me post the images needed to explain that..
    You'll need a few more posts before you can post pictures. I don't remember the exact number.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech

Post Likes
    'you must have a min of 7 post. you only have 7 posts' ><

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Fans to help keep the air moving in the right direction?

What are you building?
    I was really hoping that question wouldnt be asked.. It always ends up taking this main question highly off track.. So of course its the first reply'

Ok.. here we go..

This is a poor drawling of part of my basement. Everything that was in there had to be torn down, removed, sanitized, fix, etc etc.. costly and time consuming. (plus 800 other things in the new house that had to be done).

Then a new insulated room was built down there. However, it was built a couple feet in from the cinder block foundation wall of the house. There were some outside water leaking in issues. I did what i can, but a permanent solution would be highly expensive and time consuming, and i had/have neither. So i built the wall of the new room a couple feet in. Been a few years and its worked well so far. There is a replacement window in the cinder block wall as well as a window right in front of it in the new rooms wall. But both are very small windows.

This room is for my chinchillas. I needed to rent the main bedrooms upstairs out to keep up with the bills. So when i moved in, i was in a hurry to get what i could done, to get the chins to the basement and out of the bedrooms. However... chins require specific conditions. Main one being, they can not handle heat. temps at 73f+ can be border line fatal to some. So air condition is an absolute must to keep them alive. How ever no central ac system is being used, and no window unit would work (or even fit in those very small windows).

So.. my only option at the time was to use a portable AC unit. (I got estimates for a mini split. Every one was multi thousand dollars+ for just that room. I cant do that. And i know nothing about them to attempt it on my own. So mini split is not an option.)

I had two holes put through the cinder block foundation to the outside and stuck a vent in them. Ran some duct work into the room for the portable ac unit to connect to. Its a two hose system. One for intake, on for hot air extake.
    And for the last couple years, this has worked. Even tho the ac unit isnt rly designed for that long a duct work stretch.. it still works. Im guessing possibly less efficiently then it could.. but it works.

The vents vent to the outside. But as you can see, the room is very limited. So the position of the vents will have to be very specific.

Iv always intended to add a second portable ac unit to that room since it is fairly large. There is a chance i might be able to in the near future. But even if not, id like to finalize my idea/design. In the above pic is what im planing on going with. (Note that the cinder block wall from the window up until those top of picture vents, is blocked off outside.)

Now i know this is an imperfect almost solution to an unusual situation/problem. Im well past that at this point.
    But back to my original OP question.. i wanted to add some fans inside the long run of duct work to help move the air to and from the portable ac unit.
    However i dont need the fans to run 24/7. They only need to run when the ac unit is on. And the Ac unit is only on when the room needs cooled. So i was looking for a fan insert for duct work that could be set in some fashion to turn on/off at a certain temperature.
    But the duct work is mostly on the OUTSIDE of the room, and it fans need to operate on the temp INSIDE the room.

So im trying to see if there is some kind of fan insert for duct work that starts/stops on a certain temp. (Which there appears to be).. but i need one step further and make that temp gauge that starts the fan able to read the temp from several feet away.

... ... ... did ya get all that? lol

Post Likes
    I think if you find a good enough AC technician or electrician they should be able to rig up an outlet for the portable unit that runs through a current sensor to turn on the power to the fans whenever the portable AC is running. It should be easy enough to accomplish and inline fans are very much available. Other than that I'm not totally sure if your design is a good idea or not because I I'm not seeing it in my head very well and I don't totally understand your picture.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech

Post Likes
    Buy a mini split heat pump and dehumidifier!

12. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Dislikes wolfgang953 disliked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Other than that I'm not totally sure if your design is a good idea or not because I I'm not seeing it in my head very well and I don't totally understand your picture.
    Not sure if this will help any. This is the room and what im working with.

Buy a mini split heat pump and dehumidifier!
    . (I got estimates for a mini split. Every one was multi thousand dollars+ for just that room. I cant do that. And i know nothing about them to attempt it on my own. So mini split is not an option.)

Post Likes
    So you want two 4" duct boosters and two line voltage thermostat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    So you want two 4" duct boosters and two line voltage thermostat.
    yea, a duct booster. I forgot what they were called.

Would something like this set up work?

Duct fan

Thermostat

I could hook the thermo unit up inside the chin room. Then plug in a power strip to it that runs to the outside of the rooms wall. Then i could plug the duct boosters into that power strip.
    The fans themselves are low power, it would just be the single plug limit on the thermo unit that makes me use a power strip; to fit them. But the thermo unit says max 5 amps. The fan says startup is 0.3 amps. It doesnt list running amps, but generally start up and spike higher then running, so i would guess the running amps is less then the 0/3 starting amps. Either way, it would be a large margin for amps used/max amps.

Might need a different model themro sensor. Something that can be more specific to turn on/off at a certain temp. Iv never used the one i linked to, so im not sure.

Post Likes
    Again

What are you doing in this room?

Post Likes
    Again

He's cooling it so the Chinchillas don't die from heat strokes.
    Contractor locator map

Post Likes
    yea, a duct booster. I forgot what they were called.

Would something like this set up work?

Duct fan

Thermostat

I could hook the thermo unit up inside the chin room. Then plug in a power strip to it that runs to the outside of the rooms wall. Then i could plug the duct boosters into that power strip.
    The fans themselves are low power, it would just be the single plug limit on the thermo unit that makes me use a power strip; to fit them. But the thermo unit says max 5 amps. The fan says startup is 0.3 amps. It doesnt list running amps, but generally start up and spike higher then running, so i would guess the running amps is less then the 0/3 starting amps. Either way, it would be a large margin for amps used/max amps.

Might need a different model themro sensor. Something that can be more specific to turn on/off at a certain temp. Iv never used the one i linked to, so im not sure.
    Will probably work.
    Contractor locator map

Post Likes
    He's cooling it so the Chinchillas don't die from heat strokes.
    AND there May Be Laws Involved!!!

Post Likes
    Again

This room is for my chinchillas. I needed to rent the main bedrooms upstairs out to keep up with the bills. So when i moved in, i was in a hurry to get what i could done, to get the chins to the basement and out of the bedrooms. However... chins require specific conditions. Main one being, they can not handle heat. temps at 73f+ can be border line fatal to some. So air condition is an absolute must to keep them alive. How ever no central ac system is being used, and no window unit would work (or even fit in those very small windows).
    ^

Post Likes
    So you know of laws banning someone from raising Chinchillas in the USA. That need to be addressed before telling someone that his idea for using duct boosters to aid his portables A/Cs will work.

He's already raising them.
    Contractor locator map

Post Likes
    NO

I’m Questioning?

I’m Sure PETA might be interested!

The OP hasn't stated where he's doing this!

Post Likes
    So you know of laws banning someone from raising Chinchillas in the USA. That need to be addressed before telling someone that his idea for using duct boosters to aid his portables A/Cs will work.

He's already raising them.

MO

I’m Questioning?

I’m Sure PETA might be interested!
    To be clear, im not a breeder. Nearly all my chins are owner surrenders form owners that could no longer care for them.
    That being said, there are several quality breeders in the usa. Including chin organizations like the MCBA and the ECBC.
    And hundreds/thousand or more of chins owners in the usa.
    Iv never once heard of any laws against chins. Hell even pet stores sell them. (Dont buy chins from chain pet stores!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast