Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fans in ductwork with long range heat sensors?

Post Likes
    I'll further state this is Boarder line D I Y

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    NO

I’m Questioning?

I’m Sure PETA might be interested!

The OP hasn't stated where he's doing this!
    PETA doesn't matter.

Look up Chin farming in the USA. A few states may require a license. But Chins are raised in ever state. Some as pets, other for fur.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Telling him what the fans are called isn't anything DIY. Saying to use line voltage thermostats might be.

Telling him how to wire it up would be.

If you believe a thread to be DIY, report it. Moderators will then make a decision if it is or not, and what to do about it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

4. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Come on man.. stop spamming this thread. All your constant replies and not a single suggestion or answer or discussion to the actual question posed in the OP. The only one that comes close was saying to do something i already explicitly said i wouldn't. Then on to 'animal laws' and now complaining about dyi? ... the forum itself flat out says "Questions and discussions pertaining to HVAC for the home. " .. I asked about duct work fans and how to control them through temperature in my home. That hits both criteria dead on. So please stop with the pointless replies and stick to the topic at hand please.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgang953 View Post
    yea, a duct booster. I forgot what they were called.

Would something like this set up work?

Duct fan

Thermostat

I could hook the thermo unit up inside the chin room. Then plug in a power strip to it that runs to the outside of the rooms wall. Then i could plug the duct boosters into that power strip.
    The fans themselves are low power, it would just be the single plug limit on the thermo unit that makes me use a power strip; to fit them. But the thermo unit says max 5 amps. The fan says startup is 0.3 amps. It doesnt list running amps, but generally start up and spike higher then running, so i would guess the running amps is less then the 0/3 starting amps. Either way, it would be a large margin for amps used/max amps.

Might need a different model themro sensor. Something that can be more specific to turn on/off at a certain temp. Iv never used the one i linked to, so im not sure.
    There is a contractor locator map on this site. You may find one of us is in your area and would be willing to help. I know if I was in your area I would be happy to help. I always enjoy a non standard job.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    There is a contractor locator map on this site. You may find one of us is in your area and would be willing to help. I know if I was in your area I would be happy to help. I always enjoy a non standard job.
    Thanks for the thought! Sadly, these days most ppl wont even discus anything or answer a question if they are not on the clock. Granted, some questions are more complex/involved then others. And the ppl i have had out here frrm multiple elections and plumbers.. were crappy quality (or worse).
    In this specific case, other then making the hole through the cinder block, all the other work i can do. I just wasnt sure of the right products for what i had in mind. And for something like making sure my animals stay alive... i want to be damn sure!

Post Likes
    Thanks for the thought! Sadly, these days most ppl wont even discus anything or answer a question if they are not on the clock. Granted, some questions are more complex/involved then others. And the ppl i have had out here frrm multiple elections and plumbers.. were crappy quality (or worse).
    In this specific case, other then making the hole through the cinder block, all the other work i can do. I just wasnt sure of the right products for what i had in mind. And for something like making sure my animals stay alive... i want to be damn sure!
    Sadly I see you have a basement so you would not be in my area. But if you were I have lots of ideas to make it a nice professional reliable install.

Post Likes
    Sadly I see you have a basement so you would not be in my area. But if you were I have lots of ideas to make it a nice professional reliable install.
    yea, im in pa. And trust me.. theirs a whooole lot here that could use some skilled professional repairs/replaces/upgrades, etc. But they are are quite costly. And being disabled isnt exactly a money maker. The very fact hat i rent out two bedroom just to keep up with the bills pretty much says it all.
    And theres a lot for the basement, the chin room, and the AC that could stand to be improved. Its just out of my reach right now. So ill do what i can, when i can. And top priority is making sure my critters dont die.

Post Likes
    Just wondering atm.. do they make basic round duct work out of smooth metal that is insulated?

A smooth/hard duct work like this but insulated?

I noticed all insulated duct work i see is all flexible plastic or trash-bag like plastic like this.

Im guessing there is a reason behind this. But right now it seems rather odd to me.

Post Likes
    Just wondering atm.. do they make basic round duct work out of smooth metal that is insulated?

A smooth/hard duct work like this but insulated?

I noticed all insulated duct work i see is all flexible plastic or trash-bag like plastic like this.

Im guessing there is a reason behind this. But right now it seems rather odd to me.
    The easy way to do it is use metal like in the top picture and then get two sizes larger flex duct and slip it over it before you make up the last connection and then seal the ends and you're good to go. It cost more money but it's a heck of a lot easier. The other way is install all the metal, air seal it with pookie and then insulate it which is a lot of work but ends up with a very high quality product that flows a lot more air than the flex duct of the same size does and costs less for materials than slipping the flex duct over the metal. Technically flex duct can flow just as much air if installed properly and stretched but that almost never happens.

As they say there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Post Likes
    If you have an AC guy install properly sized smooth metal duct you probably won't even need to worry about using fans to assist it.

Post Likes
    The easy way to do it is use metal like in the top picture and then get two sizes larger flex duct and slip it over it before you make up the last connection and then seal the ends and you're good to go. It cost more money but it's a heck of a lot easier.
    That was my first thought as well. I just hate having to buy both in that scenario. Which was why i was searching for the smooth metal with insulation but didnt find any.
    I was only considering an insulated duct for the portion of the hot air exhaust duct that would be in the chin room directly; Not the whole run. Im not sure if the heat that could radiate out would be worth something like this or not. Hopefully, the fans would be on and the hot air would be moving out quicker; so maybe less chance for that to happen.

If you have an AC guy install properly sized smooth metal duct you probably won't even need to worry about using fans to assist it.
    If it were a centeral ac or house unit, id agree. But generally, portable ac units arnt designed to operate (as far as i know) with extended length duct work. They are meant to go the length of the duct included and thats it. - My longest duct run in this case would be around 17' plus the AC duct from the ac unit to where it attaches to the main duct work. And that would be a good bit of distance i would think. So i would have guessed a fan or two might be helpful.

Im trying to figure out all the pieces i would need for my idea and compare the price to a mini split. Both options are a lot more expensive then i would have thought. My estimates on the mini split for this single room were from $3300-$5300 and that was about a year or so ago. So i wouldnt be surprised if it went up. Its a hell of a lot to cool one single room imo.
    Unfortunately, between getting another portable ac unit, all the duct work, fans, masonry work... that cost is adding up too.

Post Likes
    Huge operating difference between a portable POS and a mini split. Add to that the mini will supply heat as well.

15. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    If it were a centeral ac or house unit, id agree. But generally, portable ac units arnt designed to operate (as far as i know) with extended length duct work. They are meant to go the length of the duct included and thats it. - My longest duct run in this case would be around 17' plus the AC duct from the ac unit to where it attaches to the main duct work. And that would be a good bit of distance i would think. So i would have guessed a fan or two might be helpful.
    The portable unit has no way to tell how long the ductwork is. If the pressure drop of the long duct is the same as the pressure drop of the short duct it will work exactly the same.

Post Likes
    Huge operating difference between a portable POS and a mini split. Add to that the mini will supply heat as well.
    ^^^
    If you listen to him and go with a properly installed mini split you will not regret it.

Post Likes
    ^^^
    If you listen to him and go with a properly installed mini split you will not regret it.
    Hey now, that portable has saved my ass.. and more specifically, my chins, for the last several years. I have nothing bad to say about it. The only issues are that iv been using it in a very odd way lol.

Iv never had or even seen a house with a mini split. So i cant personally say anything about them because i honestly dont know.
    What i can say is a $xxxx-$xxxx maybe $xxxx is insanely expensive. As such, it was not an option when i was last looking at it. The only reason im looking at all this again/now is ill probably be refinancing my house. And i can probably pull out a little to get this issue taken care of for now.

My ideas current estimate sits at around $xxxx plus the cost of a masonry company to drill the holes through the cinder blocks so the vents go outside. (im not screwing around with foundation cinder blocks on my own.)
    Still a lot lower then $xxxx-$xxxx.. but it has me wondering.

Edit: as long as its a chin room, heat is not needed. They are fine as long as it doesn't drop below freezing. General guideline is if there water isnt frozen, they are fine (cold wise).

Prices removed. Prices not allowed in forum.
    Last edited by vin lashon; 06-12-2021 at 04:58 PM.

19. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Hey now, that portable has saved my ass.. and more specifically, my chins, for the last several years. I have nothing bad to say about it. The only issues are that iv been using it in a very odd way lol.

Iv never had or even seen a house with a mini split. So i cant personally say anything about them because i honestly dont know.
    What i can say is a $xxxx-$xxxx maybe $xxxx is insanely expensive. As such, it was not an option when i was last looking at it. The only reason im looking at all this again/now is ill probably be refinancing my house. And i can probably pull out a little to get this issue taken care of for now.

My ideas current estimate sits at around $xxxx plus the cost of a masonry company to drill the holes through the cinder blocks so the vents go outside. (im not screwing around with foundation cinder blocks on my own.)
    Still a lot lower then $xxxx-$xxxx.. but it has me wondering.

Edit: as long as its a chin room, heat is not needed. They are fine as long as it doesn't drop below freezing. General guideline is if there water isnt frozen, they are fine (cold wise).

Prices removed. Prices not allowed in forum.
    I'm just saying that portable units make a window unit look like a Prius when it comes to efficiency.

Post Likes
    I'm just saying that portable units make a window unit look like a Prius when it comes to efficiency.
    what makes a mini split any good or any more/less efficient?
    I talked to the estimate ppl from the different companies when they were out. But there here to sell a product, i dont fully trust what they say.

This room is like 20' long. Will a small mini-split actually be able to cool the whole size room, all the time? Able to move the air around and not just cool the few few around the unit? Any dehumidifying properties while the ac is going?

Post Likes
    what makes a mini split any good or any more/less efficient?
    I talked to the estimate ppl from the different companies when they were out. But there here to sell a product, i dont fully trust what they say.

This room is like 20' long. Will a small mini-split actually be able to cool the whole size room, all the time? Able to move the air around and not just cool the few few around the unit? Any dehumidifying properties while the ac is going?
    A mini split will cool the whole room much more efficiently and if it's sized properly will dehumidify a lot better than a portable unit.
    Mini splits can be very efficient and even the lower efficiency ones are way more efficient than a portable unit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12