Thread: Whole house dehumidifier

Post Likes

Whole house dehumidifier

I am looking for recommendations, it is actually for my personal garage. I have a 1200 sq ft pole barn, it is insulated with drywall walls and metal ceiling.
    I have a min-split for air and a suspended gas heater, so the dehumidifier would be stand alone unit. I may install ductwork in the attic to utilize for the dehumidifier.
    I don't use the garage lately and I don't run the heat or a/c unless I am in there. With it being closed up, the equipment develops surface rust. I have no experience with this type of dehumidifiers, so give me your thoughts. Thanks

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Here's an example of one product by Santa Fe / ultra air and they make a lot of good products. I expect they will have something that will do exactly what you need.
    https://www.santa-fe-products.com/product/compact-70/

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech

Post Likes
    Ultra Aire MD33. Slim profile, easy to install, and small enough for a garage.
    Everything Im going to say today are my conclusions and my opinions, my opinions are based on my education, my training, my experience. Different people have different experiences, so they have different opinions and I make no claim that my opinion has its origin in the mind greatness. - Paul Harrell

4. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    Ultra Aire MD33. Slim profile, easy to install, and small enough for a garage.
    I do like that design, looks easy and serviceable. Do you guys purchase them through your distributor or online? I haven't checked my supply houses yet.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chander View Post
    I do like that design, looks easy and serviceable. Do you guys purchase them through your distributor or online? I haven't checked my supply houses yet.

I have not bought one yet myself but I understand you can buy direct as a contractor so I just emailed you the phone number.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech

7. Likes chander liked this post.
    Post Likes
    They used to sell direct, now through distribution. I just got one in from Ferguson, if you have them.

Post Likes
    Santa Fe Classic is our go-to. Might be overkill for what you're doing. Great efficiency rating.

Post Likes
    Also on the larger side, Aprilaire has some units that might work for you. I installed an 1850 (looks like the model number system changed since then though) for a large very humid basement almost 2 years ago and it seems to be doing the job for them. Can be installed with or without ducts for when you get around to that decision.

Post Likes
    Sometime about five years ago I attended a training class at a local parts distributer put on by AprilAire. At the completion of the class they gave us the option to buy the whole-house dehumidifier at a smoking good deal. That day's training was on the use and installation of the system and it was said that if we owned the product we would be good sales people. It's worked in my basement without problem as a stand alone unit. Definitely removes any musty odors. You may wish to watch for any future dehumidifier training.

Post Likes
    What happens with the RH% trending if you run the AC ?

PHM
    --------

I am looking for recommendations, it is actually for my personal garage. I have a 1200 sq ft pole barn, it is insulated with drywall walls and metal ceiling.
    I have a min-split for air and a suspended gas heater, so the dehumidifier would be stand alone unit. I may install ductwork in the attic to utilize for the dehumidifier.
    I don't use the garage lately and I don't run the heat or a/c unless I am in there. With it being closed up, the equipment develops surface rust. I have no experience with this type of dehumidifiers, so give me your thoughts. Thanks

PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    What happens with the RH% trending if you run the AC ?

PHM
    --------
    When I am not using the garage, the AC does not run long enough to remove enough humidity before it satisfies. In the spring it the worst, when the garage cools down and if I open it up during a hot and humid day everything condenses.
    I know it is more of a dew point problem, but with propane running the heat more than needed is costly. I don't want to install a heat pump at this time. I am looking for solution to minimize this problem, I know this wouldn't completely solve the problem.

Post Likes
    Is there forced ventilation of the space? Do you operate that when not heating or cooling?

Where is all the moisture coming from? NJ typically has low-ish RH during spring and fall.

PHM
    -------

PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

Post Likes
    The only ventilation is from a ceiling suspended heater an a wall mounted mini split. I have thought about installing a energy/make up air unit, but I am trying to keep it simple.
    I am located about 20 miles from the coast and I would say the problem is worst in later spring. Temps at night in the 50's and when we get a 80 deg day. If I open the garage up frequently during that time it minimizes the problem.
    The garage is fully insulated and the concrete floor is sealed. I have not checked for moisture content in the concrete, but there is no visible water infiltration. I have never trended the humidity and dew point for a long period of time.
    My next garage will have radiant floor heat and a package unit AC with hot gas re heat and ERV, this is when I get out of jersey of course Lol.