+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about flourescent leak detection dye

Post Likes

Tell me about flourescent leak detection dye

I've never tried EZJect dye, but am thinking of trying it on a leaky system that is giving us fits. Any info and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Post Likes
    As they say "Dye don't lie" but, it requires a return trip and it will forever get on your hands and tools when you gauge up. And obviously it won't help if the leak is in a location out of line of sight.

I would only use it was a last resort. In actual practice I almost never have a leak that I cannot find electronically as long as I take my time. I still keep a dye kit on my truck but, I have not used it in years.
    -Marty

3. Likes icy78 liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Its a mess. I put some in a dehumidifier that I use in my house and it gets on everything.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

5. Likes thatguy, dieseldude liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I hear it works great for the first leak. The evidence remains and if there is another leak in the same area then it won’t help you at all because the area is already covered in florescent dye. A pain to clean up.
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

7. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    And if you do use it, make sure you label the outside of the system somewhere that there is dye in it, for the next technician. Some of us don't like unannouced dye all over our hands and in our nice new gauge sets.....

9. Likes R600a, thatguy, zymometer liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I’m sure you know but I’ll just mention it anyways. You’ll need the flashlight and glasses.

It does work and is what most automotive mechanics use. It can get a little tricky if you have other things fluorescing under the light besides just the dye.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

HVAC LIFE - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-5...3tWQt8u4ZIJr-A

Post Likes
    No mfg that I’m aware of will recommend it and most say any additives not used by the mfg will void warranty.

Who much is used? How many times? How compatible with internal components, oil & ref?
    Must have visual access to any leak. Better off with good electronic detectors.

Post Likes
    You guys have voiced what I’ve always thought, but I wanted to see if I was missing something. I think I’ll just stay away from it.

13. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    I hear it works great for the first leak. The evidence remains and if there is another leak in the same area then it won’t help you at all because the area is already covered in florescent dye. A pain to clean up.
    Good point.
    -Marty

Hurst11 is offline Professional Member/Membership Committee
    Post Likes
    I have a very strong feeling that dye ruined one of my micron gauges. I didn’t realize it untill it was too late. Micron gauge worked on that system and the very next morning it was all over the place doing odd stuff, that very next system was 100% new, copper and all. I cleaned the sensor but it never worked again. I don’t have any way of proving that’s what did it but it sure seems like it did. Have anyone who uses dye had this happen to them or think it’s just coincidence?

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurst11 View Post
    I have a very strong feeling that dye ruined one of my micron gauges. I didn’t realize it untill it was too late. Micron gauge worked on that system and the very next morning it was all over the place doing odd stuff, that very next system was 100% new, copper and all. I cleaned the sensor but it never worked again. I don’t have any way of proving that’s what did it but it sure seems like it did. Have anyone who uses dye had this happen to them or think it’s just coincidence?
    I wouldn't be a surprise if the dye was accompanied by leak seal and that would make a lot more sense that the leak seal would have killed it.

I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

17. Likes zymometer liked this post.
    Hurst11 is offline Professional Member/Membership Committee
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I wouldn't be a surprise if the dye was accompanied by leak seal and that would make a lot more sense that the leak seal would have killed it.

I didn’t even think of that. That’s prolly true and what did it, I am not a fan of leak sealer of any kind.
    I see it just like engine or radiator stop leak, just messes things up.

19. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    For those who use fluorescent dye, what cleaner do you use that works best at removing it (so that you can see a new leak)? The cleaner that came with the original dye kit smells a lot like 409 or Fantastik.

Post Likes
    "...if there is another leak in the same area then it won’t help you at all because the area is already covered in florescent dye."
    Yeah, it's a pain to clean up, but if you do a good enough job cleaning it, you can detect a new leak at or near the old leak. On the plus side (once the dye is in the system), it may show you where the leak is as soon as you take the covers off the unit (and put on your glasses and UV light).

Post Likes
    To reiterate: the UV glasses are essential to help distinguish glowing from the UV dye versus other things which also fluoresce. I didn't realize that, at first, when I tried to use a dye system.

Post Likes
    "... it requires a return trip"
    Maybe not. Depending on the size of the system, and the size/placement of the leak, you may get results by running it for a 1/2 hour.

Post Likes
    It does work well to find leaks in Evaps or ac coils. I'd recommend normal electronic and big blue first but there been times I couldn't find a leak, and with dye I find it

25. Likes zymometer liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Resi guys are all against dye, Refer heads are all for dye, and Commercial guys are split. I have/do all three, and yes there is a time and place for dye. But do not let it become a go to crutch/excuse for being lazy. I have yet to see anything that was "gummed up" or wrecked by dye. But on most systems dye is not the answer, its the hail mary. If your electronic leak detector does not work, you may need another tool, no one leak detector seems to find every leak. I have a heated, and infrared, and an ultrasonic.
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

27. Likes zymometer liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I've used this a few times. That's what they make us use at work. I've only found one leak out of about 5 times on different systems. We use the glasses and flashlight, plus an old comforter to cover areas that we inspect. I think techs use it often. I have on occasion seen the residual dye on my gauges. I personally do not like the stuff.

Post Likes
    No problems on my end….and I use the UV dye quite a bit and follow the mfg recommended instructions

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in