+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PLUG fan for FAHU

Post Likes

PLUG fan for FAHU

i found a FAHU submittal for new project, brand name is VTS CLIMA. the fan is selected with PLUG FAN. i didn't see before plug fan used for FAHU, I have seen mainly belt driven. is there any concern or disadvantageous on plug fan? thank you

Post Likes

PLUG fan for FAHU

Quote Originally Posted by moideen View Post
    i found a FAHU submittal for new project, brand name is VTS CLIMA. the fan is selected with PLUG FAN. i didn't see before plug fan used for FAHU, I have seen mainly belt driven. is there any concern or disadvantageous on plug fan? thank you
    I’m familiar with AHU and FCU, but what is FAHU?

Belted fans are generally better at high static applications.

I believe the plug fans you are referring to may be variable speed (sorry, I didn’t look up the lake or model you posted, this is just a general assumption)

For low static applications plug fans, if controlled well, can provide a more comfortable result and possibly reduce air speed to assist in dehumidification ( you would need to verify that from their literature).

Belted fans generally lack multi speed

I would say this information will work as a VERY GENERAL rule of thumb. There are many exceptions to this.

Edit:
    Is this the manufacture here?
    https://vtsgroup.com/

Can you post a link to the fan you are looking at?
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    FAHU i mean here ,100% fresh air handling unit. yes, the fan is variable speed

Post Likes
    plug fan extracted from cat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    ddiw fan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    see the impeller construction. impeller of plug fan is 20% of glass fibre , it is not robust design compare to galvanised steel metal impeller of DDIW fan

Post Likes
    I've always called them aerofoil, or axial fans.....never heard "plug fan"...interesting.

they act more like a centrifugal pump or chiller impeller.....in that, they can experience surge and stall if you get too far off the curve either direction.....they can generate much higher statics than standard blowers though.

biggest problem I have with them is people not understanding which direction they are supposed to spin! if they are going the wrong way, they can generate a lot of vibration, and take out bearings pretty quick.

does yours have a single blower, or is it a fan wall design......if it's a fan wall, good luck with that......

8. Likes moideen liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    I've always called them aerofoil, or axial fans.....never heard "plug fan"...interesting.

they act more like a centrifugal pump or chiller impeller.....in that, they can experience surge and stall if you get too far off the curve either direction.....they can generate much higher statics than standard blowers though.

biggest problem I have with them is people not understanding which direction they are supposed to spin! if they are going the wrong way, they can generate a lot of vibration, and take out bearings pretty quick.

does yours have a single blower, or is it a fan wall design......if it's a fan wall, good luck with that......
    When I checking the ahu submittal, I can’t see more info about fan, but, the submittal claim that the ahu does align eurovent specs. Vendor list included the major manufacture like carrier , York, and Trane. But these all reputed team were ignored and contractor stick with VTS CLIMA.

Post Likes
    Plug fans are used in industrial applications and can handle a wide variety of conditions. My old Greenheck sizing program indicates they can move from 600 CFM to 70,000 CFM at up to 8 inches static and 800 F. When I did TAB I ran into a few of them but didn't see them widely used.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

11. Likes moideen liked this post.
    Post Likes
    https://vtsgroup.com/ae

Very interesting. You can get them with a permanent magnet DC motor.

They don't look bad, are you simply concerned that the blower wheel itself is not made of steel?

Post Likes
    plug fan can be for high static application if constructed with heavy thick steel. . i saw it with twin city plug fan.
    and other plug fan are made of plastic used for low and medium static applicaiton. i think i saw it with ziehl abegg fan (used in control rooms HVAC)

plug fan is suitable solution for situations where efficiency is a case issue.

its a requirement in hygienic AHU projects for food factories also, the belt driven centrifugal fan not allowed in hygienic applications. (but i think for your project its more a efficiency solution option)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mohad_i View Post
    plug fan can be for high static application if constructed with heavy thick steel. . i saw it with twin city plug fan.
    and other plug fan are made of plastic used for low and medium static applicaiton. i think i saw it with ziehl abegg fan (used in control rooms HVAC)

its a requirement in hygienic AHU projects for food factories also, the belt driven centrifugal fan not allowed in hygienic applications. (but i think for your project its more a efficiency solution option)
    I align with you that the we should accept the advanced methods when selecting a product. Here, the plug fan is variable, direct drive and efficient compare to DIW fan. However, I believe the fan not is only the part of comparison with next brand.in this business, the contractor gives the argument that ‘’why carrier/trane avoided because VTS does comply with EUROVENT. I contacted with Trane sales person and says that EUROVENT is a single certificate but comprised two part like mechanical performance plus energy performance. VTS shows only the part of mechanical performance, simply avoided the energy side. Generally during the comparison, it may be unnoticed and cheated. Also, I checked with carrier, then the following issues noticed,
    VTS
    42kg/m3 pu insulation
    40 mm double wall panels
    Outdoor paint 25 mm

carrier
    60kg/m3 rockwool a1 fire class
    60 mm double wall panels
    50 mm paint

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mohad_i View Post

this is commercial building

Post Likes

PLUG fan for FAHU

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    I’m familiar with AHU and FCU, but what is FAHU?

Belted fans are generally better at high static applications.

I believe the plug fans you are referring to may be variable speed (sorry, I didn’t look up the lake or model you posted, this is just a general assumption)

For low static applications plug fans, if controlled well, can provide a more comfortable result and possibly reduce air speed to assist in dehumidification ( you would need to verify that from their literature).

Belted fans generally lack multi speed

I would say this information will work as a VERY GENERAL rule of thumb. There are many exceptions to this.

Edit:
    Is this the manufacture here?
    https://vtsgroup.com/

Can you post a link to the fan you are looking at?
    I need to make a correction. I misunderstood the type of fan you were looking at when I wrote this. I thought you were asking about an EC forward curve fan in comparison to a belted forward curve fan (but calling it a plug fan). My apologies for the misunderstanding.
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in