Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultrasonic Leak Detector Detailed Info/Video

Post Likes

Ultrasonic Leak Detector Detailed Info/Video

The accutrak has popped up a lot in recent leak detector threads but itís only discussed briefly. Today I was PMed some questions about it so I decided just to post a video on my channel. Hopefully this will provide lots of information to anyone interested. Feel free to post comments and questions so we can thoroughly cover the ultrasonic topic.

https://youtu.be/DvOhZrAzTh8
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    I should add that there are times the sound of a leak isnít as clear as whatís in the video. If the leak isnít wet itís not as loud but still possible to hear with some practice and attention to detail.

I personally like ultrasonic detectors but theyíre probably not for everyone. I know a few other members on here like them. If youíve tried one and hated it, Iíd like you to post that option so we can get a balanced view on them. I donít want this to be one-sided.

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Nice. That removed all doubts that I want one.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

4. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Is the red button the on off switch? Mine is older and I need to hold it down to keep the unit on like a momentary switch. It didn't come with instructions so maybe I'm doing it wrong but staying on without holding the button down would be nice.

Post Likes
    Have you tried your test leak in a vacuum?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Is the red button the on off switch? Mine is older and I need to hold it down to keep the unit on like a momentary switch. It didn't come with instructions so maybe I'm doing it wrong but staying on without holding the button down would be nice.
    That sounds familiar. If memory serves me right I believe accutrak said that was one change they made with the newer models. You donít have to hold the button. You long press it for on or off.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Have you tried your test leak in a vacuum?
    I havenít yet. It would be really interesting to try! Although it would be a lot harder because it wouldnít be ideal to spray things down with water or possible to verify with leak detector spray.

I maybe didnít make it clear enough in the video, but the leak I was using as a test wasnít really audible until it was wet. On real leaks Iíve found they are usually audible even when dry, but not always. Spraying the surfaces down with water is a huge key to making leaks sound clearer.

One time I was doing a leak search and running it down the linesets. I heard something funny and sure enough I had a leak in the liquid line. Then I was about 3 feet away from the heat pump and had it pointed at the outdoor unit and again heard something funny. But there was A LOT of traffic noise right beside the unit and I thought thereís no way I have 2 leaks at the same time. Well I got the unit under pressure after fixing the line set and it turns out I did have two leaks! The one in the unit was the main one and the one in the lineset was just a microscopic one I happened to find

9. Likes R600a, kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have an SDT170, simply amazing what it will pick up. I have also used it to find air leaks on my garage air compressor lines..and leaks on air brake systems. I bought it originally to learn more about bearing grease maintenance.
    I'm not young enough, to know everything...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseldude View Post
    I have an SDT170, simply amazing what it will pick up. I have also used it to find air leaks on my garage air compressor lines..and leaks on air brake systems. I bought it originally to learn more about bearing grease maintenance.
    Thatís awesome! Do you have any tips on what to listen for when it comes to bearing grease maintenance?

12. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    That’s awesome! Do you have any tips on what to listen for when it comes to bearing grease maintenance?
    Work has been so busy no time for “play” learning yet. The good news is , I have many pieces of equipment old and new for comparison.

14. Likes R600a, JayMan7 liked this post.
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Work has been so busy no time for ďplayĒ learning yet. The good news is , I have many pieces of equipment old and new for comparison.
    I think machinerylubrication.com has some articles that touch on the subject.

I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

16. Likes dieseldude liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I think machinerylubrication.com has some articles that touch on the subject.

I have read many websites and watch any videos I could find, but nothing like hearing it yourself..

18. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have read many websites and watch any videos I could find, but nothing like hearing it yourself..
    I can't wait to get one myself.

Post Likes
    That’s awesome! Do you have any tips on what to listen for when it comes to bearing grease maintenance?
    https://sdtultrasound.com/industry/b...on-monitoring/

Post Likes
    If you’ve tried one and hated it, I’d like you to post that option so we can get a balanced view on them. I don’t want this to be one-sided.
    I recently purchased the same one that you have from Truetech Tools for $785. My initial unboxing impression was that this is a remarkably cheaply made tool for what it sells for. The case says "gun case" on it and probably sells for $5 in Walmart. The head phones have a ridiculous long wire for the application. As the wire touches things it causes a noise to be emitted though the headphones. For what this kit costs it is ridiculous that the headphones are not Bluetooth.

The warranty is only good for 30 days. Seriously this has to be the worst warranty of any toolmaker in our industry.

OK so that aside how did it work for me: I used it on a coil with a known small leak. The coil was wet. I was able to find the leak but it took much longer than with my electronics. I had to turn the sensitivity up to max and only got a very faint hit. Even the manufacture admits that this tool is far less sensitive to small refrigerant leaks than an electronic. I also tried to find leaks in my air compressor set up that I know has significant leaks. I could not find any. I really wanted to like this tool but, I have found it to be very disappointing. Perhaps I should have kept it longer and tried harder to get past the learning curve but, I was really turned off by the cheapness of the tool and short 30 day warranty at a $785 price tag.

So in my limited experience this is a cheaply made tool that probably could be useful in certain circumstances but it is over priced and for most applications under preforms some of the better and less expensive electronic leak detectors.

I got an RMA from TTT and sent it back. They told me that they will bench test it and that there "may" be a 20% restocking fee. caveat emptor
    -Marty

Post Likes
    Thanks for posting this .. turns out I've had an Mac tools vacuum ultrasonic leak detector with ultrasonic emitter for 10+ years and never used it for refrigerant leak detection.

here's one for $150 amazon .. no clue if it's any good. beats $785 if it works
    https://www.amazon.com/allsun-Ultras...7B8GFCDL&psc=1

https://d2y5sgsy8bbmb8.cloudfront.ne...793-rpcbe5.mp4

23. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by m singer View Post
    I recently purchased the same one that you have from Truetech Tools for $785. My initial unboxing impression was that this is a remarkably cheaply made tool for what it sells for. The case says "gun case" on it and probably sells for $5 in Walmart. The head phones have a ridiculous long wire for the application. As the wire touches things it causes a noise to be emitted though the headphones. For what this kit costs it is ridiculous that the headphones are not Bluetooth.

The warranty is only good for 30 days. Seriously this has to be the worst warranty of any toolmaker in our industry.

OK so that aside how did it work for me: I used it on a coil with a known small leak. The coil was wet. I was able to find the leak but it took much longer than with my electronics. I had to turn the sensitivity up to max and only got a very faint hit. Even the manufacture admits that this tool is far less sensitive to small refrigerant leaks than an electronic. I also tried to find leaks in my air compressor set up that I know has significant leaks. I could not find any. I really wanted to like this tool but, I have found it to be very disappointing. Perhaps I should have kept it longer and tried harder to get past the learning curve but, I was really turned off by the cheapness of the tool and short 30 day warranty at a $785 price tag.

So in my limited experience this is a cheaply made tool that probably could be useful in certain circumstances but it is over priced and for most applications under preforms some of the better and less expensive electronic leak detectors.

I got an RMA from TTT and sent it back. They told me that they will bench test it and that there "may" be a 20% restocking fee. caveat emptor
    Thanks for sharing that! I was hoping we would get a different perspective on it!

Leak searches are such a huge pain in the ass! I think itís fair to say that one tool isnít going to be best for every situation so I absolutely agree that having a sniffer is a good idea.

I also agree that itís expensive. The link I posted in the video description to Zoro helps with that some. The kit is $723 on Zoro and Zoro frequently does 20% off coupons. Another option would be to just buy the tool and some good headphones like V-MODA Crossfade. I love those headphones and they come with a nice case. So then all that would be needed would be to buy a case or small canvas bag for the tool itself.

Post Likes
    here's a pro version, amazon for $553 free shipping .. gooseneck version $819
    https://www.amazon.com/Superior-Accu...0G1Y4IQQ&psc=1

my Mac vacuum ultrasonic version needs no headphones .. really loud speakers and includes emitter

Post Likes
    Thanks for sharing that! I was hoping we would get a different perspective on it!

I think it’s fair to say that one tool isn’t going to be best for every situation so I absolutely agree that having a sniffer is a good idea.
    I 100% agree.

I think that an ultra sonic lk detector would be a good addition. I just think that this one is over priced, poorly executed and made by a company with a low bar for service after the sale. Hard pass for me.

I'd like to see Fieldpiece or Accutools come out with something similar.
    -Marty

27. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Made in china vs made in the USA?
    No thanks.

29. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast