Thread: Lennox Mini-Split (MLA009S4S-1P) Indoor Unit (MWMA009S4) Making Strange Fan Noise

Post Likes

Question Lennox Mini-Split (MLA009S4S-1P) Indoor Unit (MWMA009S4) Making Strange Fan Noise

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2-year old Lennox Mini Split and the Indoor Fan unit that is making and odd noise when running at low speed (less noticable at higher speeds). Unlike my Mitsubishi Mr. Slim which is near silent, this unit has a fan grinding noise.

I took a video of it, and the noise is very apparent. In real life, it's not that loud, but very noticable especially when trying to sleep

Is the indoor fan blower unit bad - does it need to be repaired / replaced?

I have a video on YouTube, but unfortunately I don't have enough posts to link the video: www(dot)youtube(dot)com/watch?v=hMnbodawbrI

Thanks all.

Post Likes
    If the unit is still under parts warranty call, call the installer back. It might just need a good cleaning, or something more.

3. Likes coolspot18 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ksefan View Post
    If the unit is still under parts warranty call, call the installer back. It might just need a good cleaning, or something more.
    Thanks, I sent over the video to the installer on Saturday and they mentioned they haven't seen this issue before. The installer is going to reach out to Lennox for next steps - I hope they come through.

Out of curiousity, can I reach out to any Lennox Dealer to service the issue if my installer is unable to resolve the issue?

Post Likes
    Any dealer at all can work in those units. It does help to have specific training. Usually any dealer can do the warranty parts.

Post Likes
    Any dealer at all can work in those units. It does help to have specific training. Usually any dealer can do the warranty parts.
    Great thanks - it's been over a week now and my installer still hasn't called me back. Sheesh, I gave these guys 3 furnaces, and 2 ductless AC units over the last 5 - 10 years. So much for customer care!

Post Likes
    Very disappointed with Lennox's support on the unit - they refer all requests to dealers. No end user support.

Problem is - in Canada, these ductless units are not very popular, many HVAC shops maybe Lennox Premier dealers but they don't normally install ductless units and many places outright refused to service it. Even my original installer has little experience with repairing the unit.

It's end of July and my original installer finally got back to me - it's going ot cost $xxx CAD in labour to replace the fan - I just hope this fixes it....
    Last edited by HeyBob; 07-29-2021 at 09:23 AM. Reason: No Pricing in Posts, Please!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
    Very disappointed with Lennox's support on the unit - they refer all requests to dealers. No end user support.

Problem is - in Canada, these ductless units are not very popular, many HVAC shops maybe Lennox Premier dealers but they don't normally install ductless units and many places outright refused to service it. Even my original installer has little experience with repairing the unit.

It's end of July and my original installer finally got back to me - it's going ot cost $*** CAD ($*** USD) in labour to replace the fan - I just hope this fixes it....
    Pricing is not allowed please remove it.

No manufacture deals directly with the end user. Its hard enough to deal with allegedly trained techs much less homeowners.

What's your warranty Parts and Labor?
    Last edited by HeyBob; 07-29-2021 at 09:23 AM.

Post Likes

It's end of July and my original installer finally got back to me - it's going ot cost $XXX in labour to replace the fan - I just hope this fixes it....
    Has he even LOOKED at the unit? No one I know can diagnose it from a phone call or email.
    There's a good chance the blower wheel needs to be cleaned, not replaced.
    Last edited by HeyBob; 07-29-2021 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Removed Pricing
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

10. Likes coolspot18 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Has he even LOOKED at the unit? No one I know can diagnose it from a phone call or email.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Yes, the owner of the company came by to look at it; said it was the motor,; technican came by today to replace the motor but unfortunately it made the matter worse. Now, not only is the unit making noise, it also buzzes quite badly.

Blower wheel looks clean, it's only 2 years old, no lint or dust on the wheel.

New video of noise here: www youtube com/watch?v=CH-8-Rz_3Vc

I have warranty on the unit for parts, but not labour since it is a 2019 install.

Post Likes
    Yes, the owner of the company came by to look at it; said it was the motor,; technican came by today to replace the motor but unfortunately it made the matter worse. Now, not only is the unit making noise, it also buzzes quite badly.

Blower wheel looks clean, it's only 2 years old, no lint or dust on the wheel.

New video of noise here: www youtube com/watch?v=CH-8-Rz_3Vc

I have warranty on the unit for parts, but not labour since it is a 2019 install.
    So there changing parts and its still noisy, Hope your not paying the labor.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    So there changing parts and its still noisy, Hope your not paying the labor.
    Just following up - they waived the labour on the motor change since it made things worse. They said these units are built too precise and that field service may not resolve the issue…

In the end they offered the replace the entire indoor unit at cost - but it was expensive to do but I had little choice since the noise was even worse with the replacement motor.

One year later, noise is back on replacement indoor unit. Very unhappy with the Lennox Mini Split. My 9 year old Mr Slim is so quiet in comparison - I should have paid the premium for it at the time…

14. Likes ksefan liked this post.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in