Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum Pumps

Post Likes

Vacuum Pumps

I primarily do residential and currently get by with a Harborfreight 2 stage 3 CFM pump I've had for years. I'm trying to figure out if it is worth getting a new pump especially if it can help speed up evacuation. Would one of the more expensive pumps save me a bunch of time with evacuation compared to what I currently have?

Post Likes
    This made a big difference in my evacuation times, I recently bought a second set.
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/Appion-M...alve-Core-Tool
    I'm not young enough, to know everything...

3. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseldude View Post
    This made a big difference in my evacuation times, I recently bought a second set.
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/Appion-M...alve-Core-Tool
    I have a similar setup. Two 3/8" hoses connected to high and low side via Appion VCRTs connected to a 3/8" tee and one 3/8" hose to the vaccum pump. Micron gauge on one of the VCRT side port.

Post Likes

Smile

Your entire rig is important. Do NOT evacuate through a manifold. Use 3/8" or 1/2" vacuum rated hoses, Appion or Trublue are outstanding. Removing valve cores will speed up evacuation enormously. Appion VCT are recommended.
    The Fieldpiece VP85 has the sweetest oil change arrangement I've ever seen. Appion TEZ8 is good. I haven't been able to try the Navac vacuum pump yet.

What will you do with all the extra time you save?
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Site member map HERE!

6. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH, R600a, 42Douglas liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I never used 3/8 hoses, maybe someone will post an experience, moving from 3/8" to 1/2" hoses.
    I'm not young enough, to know everything...

Post Likes
    Jb 6cfm rocks

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

9. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Your entire rig is important. Do NOT evacuate through a manifold. Use 3/8" or 1/2" vacuum rated hoses, Appion or Trublue are outstanding. Removing valve cores will speed up evacuation enormously. Appion VCT are recommended.
    The Fieldpiece VP85 has the sweetest oil change arrangement I've ever seen. Appion TEZ8 is good. I haven't been able to try the Navac vacuum pump yet.

On the Fieldpiece...
    How much babysitting does a 10 cfm vacuum pump with only 8 ounces of oil capacity require?

11. Likes Zamoramax, R600a, GoCougs, CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have used my boss' tez8 and my jb7. To me on the resi side its not worth the investment. My jb is only minutes behind the tez8. On the larger commercial stuff the tez 8 seams to run 30-40% faster... I just seen jb has a battery powered pump that can also run off ac. I believe it uses milwaukee's batteries.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

13. Likes R600a, JayMan7, CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Especially on resi sized systems, the conductance of your hoses and connection accessories contribute far more to the speed of an evacuation than the pump selection.

As long as your pump is capable of pulling below 50 microns or so you won't gain much by upgrading it. This has been proven by testing various pumps time and time again. The cfm rating of a pump is measured at atmospheric pressure. That makes a differ on large systems with large internal volumes. It makes little difference on resi systems.

I'm too much of a tool snob to use a HF pump. That said as long as it is capable of pulling down you will probably be surprised how little difference a more expensive latest greatest pump will make.
    -Marty

15. Likes R600a, stumpdigger liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Check Htalk of course.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech

Post Likes
    I like my JB 5 CFM from decades before I was born. It still works great and pulls a lower vacuum than my friend's brand new yellow jacket 7 cfm.

18. Likes dieseldude, CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    What is an HF pump?

Quote Originally Posted by m singer View Post
    Especially on resi sized systems, the conductance of your hoses and connection accessories contribute far more to the speed of an evacuation than the pump selection.

As long as your pump is capable of pulling below 50 microns or so you won't gain much by upgrading it. This has been proven by testing various pumps time and time again. The cfm rating of a pump is measured at atmospheric pressure. That makes a differ on large systems with large internal volumes. It makes little difference on resi systems.

I'm too much of a tool snob to use a HF pump.
    That said as long as it is capable of pulling down you will probably be surprised how little difference a more expensive latest greatest pump will make.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    What is an HF pump?
    Harbor freight.

Post Likes
    Your friend's pump has probably been used a bunch and still has the original oil in it.

Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I like my JB 5 CFM from decades before I was born. It still works great and pulls a lower vacuum than my friend's brand new yellow jacket 7 cfm.

Post Likes
    Ah, got it, thanks.

Had a co-worker years back who had his tools ripped off. He got an HF pump. Was sort of big and ugly, but he said it worked great. In all honesty though, I can't remember if he owned a vacuum gauge. [LOL]

Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Harbor freight.

23. Likes Zamoramax, R600a, CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by m singer View Post

I'm too much of a tool snob to use a HF pump. That said as long as it is capable of pulling down you will probably be surprised how little difference a more expensive latest greatest pump will make.
    OK thanks for the feedback. Yes it quickly pulls below 50 microns without issues. Sounds like there is no real benefit to getting a more expensive one with higher cfm ratings.

25. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Your friend's pump has probably been used a bunch and still has the original oil in it.
    I think it may be still going through the break in period because he has only used it 3 times but I still like picking on it.
    I am training him to change the oil every time no matter what.

27. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by szw21 View Post
    OK thanks for the feedback. Yes it quickly pulls below 50 microns without issues. Sounds like there is no real benefit to getting a more expensive one with higher cfm ratings.
    The magic is all in the hoses.

29. Likes EnergyOasis liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I run a single 1/2” diameter Appion hose straight from the pump to Appion core removal tool. Micron gauge is on a shorty extension hose w/ shutoff valve attached to side of core removal tool. I charge additional refrigerant to system by swapping micron gauge for primed refrigerant hose w/ shutoff at service end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    For residential I wouldn’t worry too much about it unless you’re having problems pulling a vacuum within a reasonable time.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

32. Likes R600a liked this post.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast