Thread: Ice Cream Chest Cooler

Post Likes

Ice Cream Chest Cooler

Hey all,

Been awhile since posting here last.

Today I did my first 290 comp swap on a small chest freezer.

Everything went well until I started evac.

I placed my pump on the process tube and my vac gauge on the new pen drier service connection.

Ran the pump but the vac did not drop very much.

Checked vac at the process tube and it was -2000 and when I valve off it climbs up. Pressure test held 300 solid for 15min.

Thought I may have plugged my drier making steel to copper connection so I pulled that apart. Flowed nitro from the process and have flow from condenser.

Put it back together and ran the pump again. Same thing.

Switch pump around and same thing.

So I just sent it by using tree on both process and service connection.

Evac pull down nicely on both and held.

Charged unit and ran.

Unit seems to be running good with a LP of 9psi.

My dumbass didnt take HP reading.

Im going to check back on the chest tomorrow, but just curious what you guys think? Did I miss something? I dont work a lot on these small chests and never had this happen before.

Im thinking a restriction, but that would mean in both cap and condenser?

Post Likes
    I always 't' a schrader in the suction line also. It's probably a waste. I put my micron guage on the comp. process suction port and I evacuate from the suction t and filter/high schrader as to not draw the vacuum on the high side through the cap tube.

Post Likes
    If a cap tube is restricted it will still slow a vacuum!

Its a restriction not a solid blockage!

Post Likes
    If a cap tube is not restricted it will still slow a vacuum. Rather than pull it on one side and measure on the other I pull from both and measure on the process. I prefer it that way.

Post Likes
    Restricted not PLUGGED!

Post Likes
    Here's an idea. Braze a cap tube similar to the one being used in the system to a 1/4 schrader. At the other end of the cap tube braze a piece of 1/4 tube and flare the end. Now hook your gauges on the schrader end and connect the flared end to the system. Now try to pull your vacuum through this UNRESTRICTED cap tube and tell me if it goes alot slower and you get funky readings at the system side as opposed to the side your gauges are on. Pecmsg I don't know what to say to your reply, I was never implying it was a total blockage.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Red850kid View Post
    Here's an idea. Braze a cap tube similar to the one being used in the system to a 1/4 schrader. At the other end of the cap tube braze a piece of 1/4 tube and flare the end. Now hook your gauges on the schrader end and connect the flared end to the system. Now try to pull your vacuum through this UNRESTRICTED cap tube and tell me if it goes alot slower and you get funky readings at the system side as opposed to the side your gauges are on. Pecmsg I don't know what to say to your reply, I was never implying it was a total blockage.
    I pull my vacuums from one side because I only have one TruBlu hose and a 5 ton AC pulls down 5 times faster than a refrigerator. It is maddening.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech