+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for employment conversation in TX

Post Likes
    define "work"

installers are a dime a dozen around here. If it takes you less than an hour to diagnose a condensate overflow switch or bad txv then we can talk.
    when life throws me a banjo, i play it

2. Likes R600a, Iamwildbill liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by michigan1 View Post
    define "work"

installers are a dime a dozen around here. If it takes you less than an hour to diagnose a condensate overflow switch or bad txv then we can talk.
    Who in the hell takes more than 15 minutes to diagnose a condensate overflow switch? I typically do installs. I can do service and generally most of my service time is on commercial mitsubishi equipment(Y and R2).
    I spend the bulk of my time on custom homes. Right now I'm finishing the mechanical on a 6000²ft house and starting the electrical. Installers are a dime a dozen but do they install it properly? I can't speak for other areas but here most techs are idiots. They couldn't diagnose a furnace on fire if they were next to it. Its generally parts cannon or "you're over 10 years old, best to replace".

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

4. Likes R600a, jbhenergy, BALloyd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Can I ask what does an a/c mechanic make down in the USA? I am just really curious. Up in BC Canada, your looking at 36$/hr to 70$plus/hr. Apprentices usually take about 5 years of training to get their red seal. How does it work down there?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne2021 View Post
    Can I ask what does an a/c mechanic make down in the USA? I am just really curious. Up in BC Canada, your looking at 36$/hr to 70$plus/hr. Apprentices usually take about 5 years of training to get their red seal. How does it work down there?
    There’s a vast array of answers there. Depends on resi/commercial (sounds like you’re talking commercial). And most of all depends on are of country. In Texas most guys make between 20-50. Plenty of exceptions.

If union then 5 years to be a journeyman, if non-union you can go to work whenever a company sees fit.

In US as a total people make anything from 12/hr to 100+/hr. Cost of living affects wages greatly

7. Likes R600a, Zamoramax liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    In Oklahoma our state apprentice experience requirement was reduced from 4 years to 3 years just recently.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    In Oklahoma our state apprentice experience requirement was reduced from 4 years to 3 years just recently.

I cannot agree. In HVAC, Residential, LC, and Applied/Engineered are all separate LOB’s. 4 years for Resi, maybe. 3 years is pushing it. 3 years for A/E - no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianOmarPerez View Post
    I cannot agree. In HVAC, Residential, LC, and Applied/Engineered are all separate LOB’s. 4 years for Resi, maybe. 3 years is pushing it. 3 years for A/E - no.

I'm not sure what you mean. What I am saying is the requirement is 3 years before you can get your journeyman's card. You can go to work anytime just as an apprentice for the first 3 years.

I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

Post Likes
    Ya here in Canada, we have to go back to school for 4 years. My year two is going to be 6 weeks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. What I am saying is the requirement is 3 years before you can get your journeyman's card. You can go to work anytime just as an apprentice for the first 3 years.

Okay. I thought you meant a DOL or State recognized Apprenticeship. If the OK State Jm Card is anything like the NM State Jm Card or the City of Phoenix Jm Card (there’s NO AZ State Jm Card), then its of very little value.

Post Likes
    Okay. I thought you meant a DOL or State recognized Apprenticeship. If the OK State Jm Card is anything like the NM State Jm Card or the City of Phoenix Jm Card (there’s NO AZ State Jm Card), then its of very little value.

Yes I mean the Oklahoma state requires you to be an apprentice if you're doing AC work unless you are an employee of the equipment owner and after being an apprentice for 3 years you qualify to take the test to get your journeyman's card and once you've been a journeyman for I believe it's one year you can then take the test to become a contractor which is what I'm hoping to do in the next couple years.
    There is no schooling required in Oklahoma to become an apprentice, journeyman or contractor but once you become a contractor there is some continuing education credits required if I understand right.

Post Likes

it mite help if you could do away with the acronyms there playboy. may be a gap in comprehension between the mexican to okie to canadian going on here.

15. Likes R600a, Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa View Post
    it mite help if you could do away with the acronyms there playboy. may be a gap in comprehension between the mexican to okie to canadian going on here.
    That is probably the problem.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in