Thread: Looking for employment conversation in TX

Post Likes

Looking for employment conversation in TX

We are looking at homes somewhere between Waco and San Antonio. We have family in that area but I know nothing regarding employment in the area. I am looking to talk to someone about the area(s) and get a feel for the work and a good understanding of what to expect. It's been a long time coming but my wife and daughter are for it. Wife actually told me we could be packed in a couple weeks I have a few months of chores to get done before I could even be ready to sell my house so its not an immediate thing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Expect a serous pay cut but you should be able to buy a house for pocket change compared to where you are.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech

3. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Where is everyone?
    The forum seems slow.

5. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Where is everyone?
    The forum seems slow.
    Oh R600a.. its the damn summer already. Everyone is super busy! LOL, ya Zamoramax you should love TX as the cost of living is WAYYYY cheaper then CA. Hopefully some of the local Texans will chime in here to give you an answer.
    wHen I diE I hOpe gOd haS mErcy oN my SiNful LifE

7. Likes Zamoramax, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    and I think you can legally cap someones ass for stealing your garden hose there ...

9. Likes Zamoramax, R600a, captube liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I’m in SA, what kind of work are you doing currently?

As much as I we don’t want anyone else from CA, we could always use good techs. And you seem like a good dude.

I can give you some heads up about coming out here, whatcha wanna know?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamwildbill View Post
    I’m in SA, what kind of work are you doing currently?

As much as I we don’t want anyone else from CA, we could always use good techs. And you seem like a good dude.

I can give you some heads up about coming out here, whatcha wanna know?
    What are the companies to stay away from? Who does VRF? Who does light commercial work? Isn't there some certificate that is needed to do hvac in TX?
    Here I primarily do custom homes and once in a great while exposed spiral ducting in a commercial application. I used to do it all the time with my previous company but that was in s.f. Here im much closer to home but the work has changed. Trade offs. We also are a full electrical company so I do both trades... I have built a rapport and gained the trust of mitsubishi so I would like to stay with them.

Post Likes
    I sent you a PM to keep company names private. All in all it’s a thriving and growing market here and Austin. Seems like every company here is in need of good techs all the time (my company sure is). The problem is any tech without a job… there’s a reason

13. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamwildbill View Post
    I sent you a PM to keep company names private. All in all it’s a thriving and growing market here and Austin. Seems like every company here is in need of good techs all the time (my company sure is). The problem is any tech without a job… there’s a reason
    For sure. I've only had 2 employers in the 17 years I've done this. The guys you want you gotta poach.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamoramax View Post
    For sure. I've only had 2 employers in the 17 years I've done this. The guys you want you gotta poach.

Hey if you have your contractors license move down here and start a company and I'll go to work for you. I come with customers although not a ton of them but I have some.

16. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mofotech View Post
    Oh R600a.. its the damn summer already. Everyone is super busy! LOL, ya Zamoramax you should love TX as the cost of living is WAYYYY cheaper then CA. Hopefully some of the local Texans will chime in here to give you an answer.
    True I guess not everyone is quite as addicted to HVAC talk as I am. I get home at 10:00 p.m. and try to read everything that popped up during the day and anytime I take a break I check in.

Post Likes
    Here are some options:

LC HVAC
    CoolSys, CMS/Nextech, Lennox NAS, MetroTech, Authority HVAC

Applied/Engineered HVAC
    ACIS, Trane (Union in S.A.), Daikin DBS, Siemens, Carrier, Johnson Controls, Texas Chiller

Com Ref
    Hussmann, CoolSys, Climate Pros, The Arcticom Group, Arnold

Residential HVAC & LC Refrigeration companies are going to be all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Likes Zamoramax, mofotech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    you wont have a problem getting employed this time of year, and can prolly be picky. texas requires a state background check for techs and a contractors license to sell. good luck, people around here are kinda put out on the california people bringing there left wing politics with them. personally i would stay closer to waco or sa and avoid austin. speaking spanish/mexican will help too.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa View Post
    you wont have a problem getting employed this time of year, and can prolly be picky. texas requires a state background check for techs and a contractors license to sell. good luck, people around here are kinda put out on the california people bringing there left wing politics with them. personally i would stay closer to waco or sa and avoid austin. speaking spanish/mexican will help too.
    I speak about enough Spanish to know when someone is talking trash. Or the first couple weeks of basic Spanish class... if I was to move which things are looking up. It wouldn't be until sept at the earliest.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa View Post
    This man is correct. About all of it lol. Hence my comment about not wanting any more Californians… but making the exception for you.

In Austin it may feel more like CA with the homeless people peeing on the sidewalk in front of you? I avoid at all costs honestly

23. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Lol. Thats more of the city life. S.F., Oakland, San Jose, Richmond, Antioch... lol. But in all seriousness I am probably more conservative than anyone would guess coming from CA. Im honestly looking for land but close enough to commute to a city for work. Stay close to the money so to speak.

Post Likes
    i wish i could help more. im around dallas and dont really know whats happening down that way but imagine everything is good in this biz. pick your market, good help is hard to find and there is pleanty of work if ya want to kick it on your own. good luck

26. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    and I think you can legally cap someones ass for stealing your garden hose there ...
    Only if the scum is stealing it after dark, unless you are threatened.
    1st, Waco to San Antonio is a lot of area. Austin is just as screwed up as Ca along with high CoL compared to the rest of Tx. There was a guy awhile back looking for techs around Austin but as to finding a good HVACR job here, just pick a town. Everyone is short handed

28. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    A few additional contacts you might explore, if you haven't already.

UA 529 Waco. UA 142 San Antonio. RSES Chapter meetings. TWC Texas Workforce Commission.

I'm sure you've already heard most of the rest of what I'm about to say, but, just in case....

Don't take this wrong, unless you must........

Leave your California attitude and politics back in California. Nothing here will shut a door quicker than simply telling people you're from California, or telling a Texan what, or how they should act, do, or be.
    Texas is what it is today because of the people who call this home, native or transplant, and Texans will straight up tell you "Don't Mess With Texas". They are fiercely proud, and they mean it. Respect it, and maybe in twenty years you'll be accepted.

Change your vehicle license tags as soon as possible.

The advice you got from r600a is spot on. Expect a serious pay cut, but the cost of living and quality of life is far better.

There is good and bad everywhere you go. Often, the only real difference is the weather. Do not discount the summers in South Texas. They can be mean. But the winters are generally mild.

Good luck.

30. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.