+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ecobee t-stat questions

Post Likes

Confused Ecobee t-stat questions

So i came across a few of these beast in the last couple of weeks. I just changed companies I work for and the new company has a client with 20 or 30 locations and they use the Ecobee's to have remote control of the units etc.

As a commercial refrigeration guy I have exactly 0 experience with these new toys and am having issues with one installed on a 5-7 ton heat pump. Long story short, I was sent to pick up a reversing valve and install it and post install it remained in the nonfunctional status.

Seems the call for cooling only outputs 17 volts on O but 24 on everything else. Since there are several stats there I swapped out the heads to have exactly the same result, backing plate looked fine but what the heck, plenty o spares and it was another waste of time. Having no manual or knowledge of these stats I opted to contact tech support.

That was a waste of time like i never experienced, I will save you from all the details and just note that my support rep responded after I said "I have 24 volts getting to the stat and have 24 applied to the blower and compressor but am only getting 17 volts out to the reversing valve and he said "sir, i don't know what that means, we don't work with meter readings"

I am pretty sure I wasted 5 hours replacing a valve that wasn't bad based upon another incomplete diagnosis. I wired the valve up to the comp contactor and magically delicious cold are sprewed forward.

All of the other units on his building are straight AC so I am suspect that this has to do with the programming???? That only makes some sense to me because i would think it was the simple activation of a tiny relay on the pc board of the stat and it should just be open or closed but perhaps not the case.

Any feedback or questions welcomed but the questions are going to get uneducated answers as I wasn't aware there was more than one "ecobee" stat.

Post Likes
    Thermostat only functions to relay 24 VAC. If you weren't receiving the proper voltage on O, the thermostat is programmed correctly, and you can jump O at the backplate to get the reversing valve to work, then the only factor left is the thermostat being faulty.

3. Likes millerpl liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Did you go through the parameters on the stat ?
    You have to elect heat pump within those parameters.

Post Likes
    ecobee sux ass

Post Likes
    I know what the stat does, it does the ame as other stats, did you actually read the post? it gets 24 out of the other functions and only gets 17 at the reversing valve connection on O. it does the same with another stat as well as another base plate. it is clearly the stat but that doesn't mean its defective just not set correctly possibly.

I did not go through the parameters, I have exactly 0 knowledge of the stat at all, never saw one before. I believe this is in fact what the problem is however I was hoping someone had experienced similar and knows it is "x" setting is wrong kind of thing. I was taken aback by the tech support guy being pretty much clueless if I wasn't asking about the "common wire" or some simple install task.

I suspect it is not set to "heat pump mode" or whatever and is just leaking current to O because of a cheap design. its just sad it wasn't diagnosed properly as it likely never needed the valve.

Post Likes
    Not sure if Eco bee does this or not but I know Nest has there relays in the base. I couldn't tell by your post if you changed the base but if you didn't I would try that.

Post Likes
    The manual for the ecobee 3 is posted at the bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Likes millerpl liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    Thermostat only functions to relay 24 VAC. If you weren't receiving the proper voltage on O, the thermostat is programmed correctly, and you can jump O at the backplate to get the reversing valve to work, then the only factor left is the thermostat being faulty.
    All sorts of unnecessary bull can break loose with a malfunction taking place on those thermostats.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    All sorts of unnecessary bull can break loose with a malfunction taking place on those thermostats.

Post Likes
    Might be using triac relays. They can sometimes not let full voltage through.

13. Likes millerpl liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I replaced an Ecobee this week that had constant 17V output on Y1, even when the stat was set to off. New stat, no more frozen evaporator.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in