Thread: Any observations about the Trane xr16 low-profile condenser?

Post Likes

Any observations about the Trane xr16 low-profile condenser?

As I posted last week, I'm looking to swap out my old 2.5 ton Trane XE1100 AC condenser for something quieter and more efficient. The limitation is that my furnace, a Trane XV95, apparently lacks the "communicating" capability required by the very latest Trane variable-speed condensers.

One Trane installer suggested either an XR 13 condenser or (for somewhat more money) an XR 16 low-profile side discharge unit.

From my reading so far I'm inclined to go for the side discharge unit. The specs tell me it should be both quieter (70dba) and more efficient (up to 17 SEER). We all know, though, that specs and field experience are often two different things.

Do you have any experience (good or bad) with a roughly 2.5 ton side discharge XR 16?

Thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    Shows they make a optional compressor sound blanket ( number BAYSDEN003 ) and rubber isolators kit ( BAYISLT101 ) for the side discharge unit.

Rubber Isolators — Six (6) large rubber donuts to isolate condensing unit from transmitting energy into mounting frame or pad. Use on any application where sound transmission needs to be minimized

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...3RkdXa3GNGlKbb

Page 5

Ask for AHRI matched system, as you will need a AHRI number for any rebates your state or local utility company may.

Make sure to register your system as manufacturers warranty decreases if never registered. California or Quebec need not be registered to receive the manufacturers maximum warranty.

3. Likes NeedSomeQuiet liked this post.
    Post Likes
    All excellent tips--thank you. I hadn't noticed the availability of the isolators and sound blanket.

Post Likes
    Look into a Bosch condenser, doesn't need a special thermostat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

6. Likes NeedSomeQuiet liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks--will take a look.

Post Likes
    Look out, at least with our supplier, those side discharge units are pricey. About anything will be quieter than the XE1100. The old Climatuff recip compressor was virtually bulletproof but about as noisy as they come. Neighbor has a 4A7A3030 (aka 4TTR3030) and it is very quiet. Just hear a little compressor noisy when you get close. My unit drowns it out most of the time

9. Likes NeedSomeQuiet liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.