Thread: Airwave not working after new furnance/blower-motor

Post Likes

Airwave not working after new furnance/blower-motor

I recently got my AC and furnace replaced.

Trane16 SEER 5-ton XR16 split gas system.
    Model#
    4TTR6061C1000
    S8X1C100M5PSA
    4TXCC009DS3

I have a Nest E thermostat that has an airwave functionality. The following link should have details, but essentially it means:

https://support.google.com/googlenes...-airwave-works

Airwave takes advantage of this and turns the compressor off a little before reaching the target temperature. Then it runs the fan alone until it reaches the temperature you want. This can help save energy and keep you comfortable.
    With my old furnace/air handler, I could hear the fan running and blowing air from the supply vents, even when the compressor was shut off (during this "airwave" operation). So, it seems to have been working as intended before.
    However, with the new equipment, although I can see the airwave symbol on my nest thermostat, I can't hear the blower motor running. I tried placing my hand near the vents, and there is hardly any air coming.

Is this expected with my new furnace/ air handler??

Also, (and I'm not sure if this is related but...) I was told this new furnace/air-handler has an ECM motor that implies variable blower speed.
    I haven't seen this in effect, so I'm not even sure if it is actually variable speed or it needs some configuration change.

Post Likes
    N E S T

S U C K S

3. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Many new Air handlers and furnaces have a much lower fan speed for the fan only call so that could be normal as long as it is blowing some air.
    I have to agree with the above post ditch the nest. Also if you are in a somewhat humid climate that so-called airwave feature will just be raising the humidity. Just so you know it's not a special nest only feature, almost every thermostat I install can do that they just don't call it air wave or tell you when it's happening.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

5. Likes Froodo liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Many new Air handlers and furnaces have a much lower fan speed for the fan only call so that could be normal as long as it is blowing some air.
    ....Just so you know it's not a special nest only feature, almost every thermostat I install can do that they just don't call it air wave or tell you when it's happening.
    Thanks. I'll try to ascertain if during the compressor off-time, the blower is still blowing at least some air.
    Also, it seems that is not a unique or a must-have feature.

------------
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    N E S T

S U C K S
    ......I have to agree with the above post ditch the nest....
    Can you guys share the reason why Nest is not such a good choice for residential "smart" thermostat ?
    And more importantly, do you have a recommendation for its replacement ?

Looking forward to your replies. Thanks !

Post Likes
    Nest has quite the reputation around here for being erratic and causing quite a few failures from their erratic behavior.
    Personally I like Honeywell thermostats but almost any other brand would be fine.
    I personally think that the Honeywell T-Series is one of the nicest looking thermostats on the market and the features are my very favorite.
    It's what I have in my house and the only thing I carry on my truck.
    The t10 model is capable of having multiple wireless temperature / humidity sensors throughout the house and controlling the temperature from any one of those sensors or averaging between them all. Also there app to control them through Wi-Fi works very well and it's easy to use. They're a bit tricky on the initial setup of the Wi-Fi but once you get through that they are great and their tech support and has always been excellent when I needed it to help me set up the wi-fi.

8. Likes Froodo liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Update: I just tried turning FAN only. I could feel only a slight draft of air from the supply vent. So, it does seem to be working..just that the speed is lower than my old blower. Hopefully, that's okay.

Regarding possibly replacing NEST... I see ecobee is also highly rated t-stat.
    Any comment(s) on ecobee vs Honeywell T10 ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Froodo View Post
    Update: I just tried turning FAN only. I could feel only a slight draft of air from the supply vent. So, it does seem to be working..just that the speed is lower than my old blower. Hopefully, that's okay.

Regarding possibly replacing NEST... I see ecobee is also highly rated t-stat.
    Any comment(s) on ecobee vs Honeywell T10 ?
    Either one would be a fine thermostat. I don't have much personal experience with the ecobee but I have heard nothing bad about it.

11. Likes Froodo liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks again!
    I'll check the availability and pricing on these two. Definitely want to follow the advice here and move away from Nest.

Post Likes
    Either one would be a fine thermostat. I don't have much personal experience with the ecobee but I have heard nothing bad about it.

I got a decent price for Honeywell T10, so will be getting that soon.
    Before I buy, just wanted to confirm, if the Honeywell home app/web interface has the capability to show the daily usage history of my HVAC system.
    Essentially, I want to see how frequently my AC turned on/off and for how long. I know, Nest and ecobee have this functionality. With a new system recently installed, will be interested to see this data.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Froodo View Post
    I got a decent price for Honeywell T10, so will be getting that soon.
    Before I buy, just wanted to confirm, if the Honeywell home app/web interface has the capability to show the daily usage history of my HVAC system.
    Essentially, I want to see how frequently my AC turned on/off and for how long. I know, Nest and ecobee have this functionality. With a new system recently installed, will be interested to see this data.
    I haven't found that particularly but once a month they send you your usage report to your email and that includes the on time for heating and cooling in the idle time.
    Here are a couple of screenshots from mine. I will look and see if I can view the daily statistics when I get home tonight.

Post Likes
    I haven't found that particularly but once a month they send you your usage report to your email and that includes the on time for heating and cooling in the idle time.
    Thanks again. Appreciate the screenshots!
    I did some more digging on this as well.. and it seems Honeywell T10 will only send these monthly reports (which probably is fine for most of us). With Ecobee and its exposed APIs (beestat) one can get a more detailed daily usage (on-off time). Thought I should leave it here, in case anyone else has this question.