Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Day or Night Classes?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    5
    Post Likes

    Day or Night Classes?

    Hello. I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post. I plan on attending Hvac school at a state-sponsored trade school. They offer both a day program and a night program. The night program takes a little longer to finish, but obviously frees up the day to work. The day program, in the final trimester, focuses on commercial refrigeration and a second installment of electricity and controls neither of which is available with the night class.

    My question (one of many to come, I'm sure) would the day program be the way to go considering the added learning and somewhat quicker completion time? Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Dover, DE
    Posts
    12,448
    Post Likes
    Night. You’ll need the day for on the job training for school to make sense.
    Have you considered your local UA? You’ll get set up for both.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

    “It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

    "In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

    Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

  3. Likes Flyin_Okie, cjtoddEGIA liked this post.
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Medford, N.Y.
    Posts
    7,933
    Post Likes
    Could you take the night classes and squeeze in a few day classes for the extra stuff that they teach during the day?

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    5
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the UA. I'm in Nashville. I believe the local is 572.

    That's a good question, Techman Terry. I had not thought to check to see if that would be an option.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    373
    Post Likes
    A couple questions.......

    What is a state sponsored trade school?

    Do you have any idea yet about what you think you might want to do in the heating ventilation and refrigeration field? The field involves a whole lot more than the average person might think.

    Residential, Commercial, Industrial? New Construction, Service, Maintenance? Mechanic, Installer, Technician, Engineer, Business Owner? Refrigeration, Chillers, Boilers? Direct expansion systems, Chilled Water Systems, Controls, Test and Balance, ......... on and on?

    To help start of this journey, and to recommend a choice of either day, or night school, it might be easier if you could tell us which direction you think you might want to go.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    373
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Artrose View Post
    A couple questions.......

    What is a state sponsored trade school?

    Do you have any idea yet about what you think you might want to do in the heating ventilation and refrigeration field? The field involves a whole lot more than the average person might think.

    Residential, Commercial, Industrial? New Construction, Service, Maintenance? Mechanic, Installer, Technician, Engineer, Business Owner? Refrigeration, Chillers, Boilers? Direct expansion systems, Chilled Water Systems, Controls, Test and Balance, ......... on and on?

    To help start of this journey, and to recommend a choice of either day, or night school, it might be easier if you could tell us which direction you think you might want to go.

    "Job Corp" ?

  8. Likes millerpl liked this post.
  9. #7
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    153
    Post Likes
    This is great, I've already received some links to get the ball rolling with these Trade Schools in my home state of Oregon. This would be great information to consume. I would like to get off the apprentice status as soon as possible.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    8,789
    Post Likes
    Does the school count as time towards a entry level license, if so do they count as equal or is the day course can be used for more time.

    I took a 1.5 year day HVAC course ( the last 6 months where more about duct design and load calculation and was optional ) the school counted for one year of my 2 year wait entry level license ( once signed up with the state ) so I test in one year instead of two.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    153
    Post Likes
    While getting the ball rolling with trade school or about to. I was wondering on average how long does it take to complete the courses on average. I'm trying to move from Apprentice to Journeyman as soon as possible. As a result of this, I was wondering before putting the objective on getting started with trade school; to establish myself more in this profession, how long does it typically take to complete all the required courses?!

  12. #10
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    5
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Hey, Artrose. The school is Tennessee College of Applied Technology. There are 27 campuses throughout the state. I would be attending the Nashville campus.

    I believe the state funds a large portion of the budget. Tuition is $1312.00 a trimester. Day class=4 trimesters for 1728 total hours. Night class=4.5 trimesters for 1296 total hours. An instructor I emailed, said it's a 50/50 split between classroom and hands on learning.

    As far as my interests go, right now it's residential and commercial Heating and Cooling. But, of course, that could change. It's really amazing how broad and diverse the trade is. I had NO idea!

  13. Likes millerpl liked this post.
  14. #11
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    5
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Hey, Bazooka Joe. I'll have to look into the licensing question. It's obviously important and something I had not even thought about. Thank you, sir.

  15. #12
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    153
    Post Likes
    Thanks very much for all the references I'll look into these.

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    8,789
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin K View Post
    Hey, Bazooka Joe. I'll have to look into the licensing question. It's obviously important and something I had not even thought about. Thank you, sir.
    Don’t know how many journeyperson licenses you have in your state or how all that works, we have a bunch of licenses, we are a more pay for performance state ( non union ) you can leapfrog other more seasoned Tech or longevity ( in the trade ) if they hold one bare bone relativity basic license, and you have a higher tier rated license or two or three diverse licenses. We have limited and unlimited license in pretty much each category, including Contractors license.

  17. #14
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Sacramento, CA & Destin, FL
    Posts
    10
    Post Likes
    Hey Martin, CJ from EGIA here. We have a program that offers scholarship to students getting started at HVAC school and I would echo what a lot of these comments are saying. First, see if a hybrid approach would work - do the bulk of your classes at night and see if you can attend the important day programs. If your program is broken into trimesters and you want to attend those day classes in the final trimester, I'm betting they'll let you transition into the day classes at that time. So, do night classes and get on-the-job training (nothing replaces that) until the final trimester, then switch to days. Also, be sure to reach out when our next scholarship opens so we can help you with expenses - too bad I didn't see this sooner, our 2021-2022 scholarship just closed.

  18. #15
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    153
    Post Likes
    Alright, outstanding thanks very much for the information.

  19. Likes cjtoddEGIA liked this post.
  20. #16
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    153
    Post Likes
    Ok, thanks, an approach I would execute is just conduct a night course.

  21. #17
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    373
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin K View Post
    Hey, Artrose. The school is Tennessee College of Applied Technology. There are 27 campuses throughout the state. I would be attending the Nashville campus.

    I believe the state funds a large portion of the budget. Tuition is $1312.00 a trimester. Day class=4 trimesters for 1728 total hours. Night class=4.5 trimesters for 1296 total hours. An instructor I emailed, said it's a 50/50 split between classroom and hands on learning.

    As far as my interests go, right now it's residential and commercial Heating and Cooling. But, of course, that could change. It's really amazing how broad and diverse the trade is. I had NO idea!

    From what I could find, the reviews on your chosen school don't appear to be necessarily stellar. Be objective, and don't pile up too much student debt. Think of this schooling as a small stepping stone.

    Go to work full time during the day.

    Go to night school.

    Take your time, and don't get in a hurry. There's always more to learn.

    Residential is merely a small beginning.

  22. #18
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    5
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Thank you for your response. I have the money saved to pay for the entirety of the program, so no student loans. It's looking like night school and working during the day is the way to go. Thanks again for the advise.

  23. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    va
    Posts
    1,535
    Post Likes
    I would add, don’t stop there. Continue taking individual classes related to this field; computer, welding, controls, first aide, etc, and any available workshops and any other available training, in person & online.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •