Thread: Going to take the Va. masters test next week. Any advice.

Post Likes

Going to take the Va. masters test next week. Any advice.

This is a continuation of a post I did that got no responses. I passed the journeyman's about 2 weeks ago and am scheduled to take the masters next Thursday. I had problems with some ventilation questions on the journeyman's and would like to figure the answers before I take the masters. They only give a pass/fail result so I have no idea how I did. I think I did ok.

They are as close as I can remember.

1. "How much ventilation does a residential garage require?" One of the answers was "none" so I marked that. I can't ever remember a house garage needing ventilation. Commercial yes but not residential.

2." How much ventilation does a 3 story house require. Assume kitchen hood and a dryer exhaust." It might have said their were 3 occupants. Not sure on that part but they gave no square footage what so ever. All the multiple choice answers had a cfm amount. How the heck am I suppose to answer this with no square footage.

3. This one I cant remember verbatim at all, but was close to "ventilation for 1000sq ft storage/workroom that had refrigerant in it".

I saved these questions for the very end and searched through the IMC 2015 but couldn't find the answers. Later in the evening when I got home I reread the section on ventilation and still don't know.

Can anyone help? Or maybe give me a source to study that explains ventilation better.

Thanks for any help.

Post Likes
    Google will answer your question.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Not 100% sure, but I'll take a stab:

1. Garages for private dwellings don't require ventilation because they're not occupied.

2. Based on 3 occupants, I believe that's 45 CFM total (15 CFM per person).

3. Again, a storage/workroom is not specified as being occupied, so it doesn't require ventilation.
    Everything Im going to say today are my conclusions and my opinions, my opinions are based on my education, my training, my experience. Different people have different experiences, so they have different opinions and I make no claim that my opinion has its origin in the mind greatness. - Paul Harrell

Post Likes

Thanks for taking a shot.

Thanks. I'm wondering were you came up with 15 cfm per person. I'm used to calculating fresh from ASHRAE 62 which only uses 7.5 cfm per occupant. I was thinking along the same lines as you though during the test but none of the multiple choice answers seemed to work with that theory.
    And to "captain obvious" who suggested google, yes I've went through 10 or so pages with each page containing less and less relevant answers. Have YOU tried using google lately for real pertinent information?

Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    Not 100% sure, but I'll take a stab:

1. Garages for private dwellings don't require ventilation because they're not occupied.

2. Based on 3 occupants, I believe that's 45 CFM total (15 CFM per person).

3. Again, a storage/workroom is not specified as being occupied, so it doesn't require ventilation.

Post Likes
    In commercial the last time I looked it was 15 CFM per person unless you had windows that would open then it was 7.5 CFM per person. That was some time ago.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    I'll have to read through the ventilation better but half the problem with the test is it didn't come out and say if they were referring to a commercial or residential application. As for commercial, I know they have the charts which give the expected occupancy per 1000 sq. ft and the fresh air required per person on the type of space (theater vs office, etc). I don't recall a 15cfm per person rule of thumb.
    thanks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    In commercial the last time I looked it was 15 CFM per person unless you had windows that would open then it was 7.5 CFM per person. That was some time ago.
    Your right , I found it. In the chart , chapter 4 of the IMC they do have a category for private dwellings. I must have missed it before. So I could figure out the ventilation just using the number of bedrooms, kitchen exhaust and number of bath fans. No square footage for the house necessary.

I hope this helps somebody in the future.
    BTW, I took and passed the my masters test last week. Anybody looking to take this test my recommendation is to read the hell out of the IMC. You don't want to try to memorize the material, just know where the materials are at. I was worried about memorizing different formulas for the math parts but there were very few of those on the test.

8. Likes CircusEnvy liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by liltommy View Post
    BTW, I took and passed the my masters test last week. Anybody looking to take this test my recommendation is to read the hell out of the IMC. You don't want to try to memorize the material, just know where the materials are at. I was worried about memorizing different formulas for the math parts but there were very few of those on the test.
    Congrats and great advice. I need to stop procrastinating and take mine!
    Everything Im going to say today are my conclusions and my opinions, my opinions are based on my education, my training, my experience. Different people have different experiences, so they have different opinions and I make no claim that my opinion has its origin in the mind greatness. - Paul Harrell