Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No wonder Lumber Costs 3x More????

Post Likes

No wonder Lumber Costs 3x More????

I've spoken to 3 truck drivers who regularly ship lumber from the mill to the various warehouses and the story is always the same. The mills are slowing down production, and hoarding their inventory.

There's a mill north of where I live and you can see it from the road when you drive north to Canada. I've seen this mill hundreds of times over the last 10 years. They were always processing their lumber day and night so the pile of timber was small and they were shipping out their processed lumber just as quickly as it came in. But the last 2 times I drove by the mill was not producing even though they easily had a 1000 logs to process. They had stacks of processed lumber sitting in their yard 20 feet tall and nothing was going out for delivery. I snapped off a couple pictures with my phone:

Name:  lumber 2.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  132.0 KBName:  lumber 1.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  95.9 KBName:  lumber 3.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  136.5 KBName:  lumber 4.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  129.4 KB

Post Likes
    They probably can't get any [or enough] workers to properly operate the mill. What with the feds paying people to stay home; why bust your butt for an extra $2.50 per hour? Just stay home, drink beer, and watch The View.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    They probably can't get any [or enough] workers to properly operate the mill. What with the feds paying people to stay home; why bust your butt for an extra $2.50 per hour? Just stay home, drink beer, and watch The View.
    With the extra unemployment, stimulus, YouTube, Onlyfans/etc...

What? Leave the house? And SWEAT?

No thank you.

(sticks their greasy orange hands in a bag of Cheetos and follows with 1/2 a 2 liter of Mt Dew)

Burrrrp.

Now that's the life.

Sent from my remote link to R2D2 using Tapatalk

I can't fix it if it won't stay broke..

4. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    or they have made the choice to make massive margins by restricting the supply.

unless they are losing sales why boost up the work force?
    Who’s to blame?... if you’re looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn’t be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. V for Vendetta

Post Likes
    It’s very suspicious to me. They keep saying there’s a shortage but I see no evidence of that. 2x4s were 4x the cost last time I checked.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

7. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    My friend locked in a price 2 months ago to build a house in Florida on a lot ( a large Company that builds in several states and mainly in communities ) the price increase $55K, went up in 5 increments, the last increase was $15K to what that same house cost today. They told him tentatively they where going to start building in a couple months ago, which is sometime this month, thinking they are either losing money or razor thin profits or breaking even. I suppose they are just making it up on the new signed contracts...

Post Likes
    Gonna have to start putting a clause or disclaimer in the contracts for increases in costs and/or availability of materials. Probably already happening with contractors that are on the ball and keeping up with what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
    My friend locked in a price 2 months ago to build a house in Florida on a lot ( a large Company that builds in several states and mainly in communities ) the price increase $55K, to what that same house cost today. They told him tentatively they where going to start building in a couple months ago, which is sometime this month, thinking they are either losing money or razor thin profits or breaking even. I suppose they are just making it up on the new signed contracts...

Post Likes
    I PREDICT, that I see a Hurricane Season approaching.

11. Likes WT70 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Maybe a recession to bring prices down?

Post Likes
    Gonna have to start putting a clause or disclaimer in the contracts for increases in costs and/or availability of materials. Probably already happening with contractors that are on the ball and keeping up with what is going on.
    I suppose if companies been around and experienced the Great Recession of 2007/2008ish and survived, thinking this is probably way more manageable? The company he’s dealing with been around 30+ years, I’m sure it’s not their first rodeo..or anyone else’s if they been around a while... Yes thinking what you say is correct about the clause..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    It’s very suspicious to me. They keep saying there’s a shortage but I see no evidence of that. 2x4s were 4x the cost last time I checked.
    Could be they are holding on to inventory hoping the price will still climb. But that doesn't explain the unmilled logs.

Here's a weird question.

Has the price of timber also increased along with the price on milled lumber?

Does anyone know?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    Could be they are holding on to inventory hoping the price will still climb. But that doesn't explain the unmilled logs.

Here's a weird question.

Does anyone know?
    That is a good question! Some of the corporate stuff going on “because of” covid seems kinda shady.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    I'll answer your question with a question:

Has the AVAILABILTY of trees diminished. Meaning, have regulations been put in place to make it more expensive to cut down trees?

I can tell you a short story for the way it works in California.

Here's a weird question.

Does anyone know?

Post Likes
    Just finished reading an article about timber. Just a slight increase in timber prices.

Which means the cost of lumber is labor side.

Good thing we got those stimulus checks.

Hopefully they will do something to prevent hyperinflation, because that's where the economy is headed.

Post Likes
    Just finished reading an article about timber. Just a slight increase in timber prices.

Which means the cost of lumber is labor side.

Good thing we got those stimulus checks.

Hopefully they will do something to prevent hyperinflation, because that's where the economy is headed.
    Actually reading up on this.... sounds like labor is almost out. Its cost of computer controlled machinery. Apparently like everything else they have reduced labor with some really neat machines.

To boost the lumber supply you would need to get new mills online or retrofit old mills that where shut down following the housing market crash.

Everything appears to be automated now.

Who’s to blame?... if you’re looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn’t be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. V for Vendetta

Post Likes
    Then what is the explanation that both input And output yards are full? The output yard was filled by Somebody working. <g> It seems like the bottle-neck would be lack of sales or lack of shipping transport.

PHM
    -------

PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

20. Likes R600a, WT70 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Then what is the explanation that both input And output yards are full? The output yard was filled by Somebody working. <g> It seems like the bottle-neck would be lack of sales or lack of shipping transport.

PHM
    -------
    Right now lumber is basically just going to the highest bidder. I mean.... really what is their incentive to speed up? Their operating costs are basicaly the same but their margins are what now?

Unless indepentate operators enter the market and start taking sales their is no reason for them to speed up.

Post Likes
    I really don't have a clue what is going on. Think I heard last week a 2x4 used to cost ~$2.50, now they're up to $11. Not sure where in the country that was. Can't imagine the cost of fuel has driven the lumber prices up that much. I think we used to get most of our lumber from Canada, whatever that may have to do with things.

Post Likes
    This is really neat stuff.

Post Likes
    Went to the hardware store just yesterday. Bought four sprinklers and four PVC unions, $65!

Something somewhere sure did spike up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast